What did you cook today??

Willow said:

post-28626-we-can-cooke-it-meme-Heisenber-M5fQ.png

...bitch

bbq pork crockpot

actually started day before yesterday soaking some beans with a little baking soda/powder to soften teh outside . didn't have the rigth kind white beans only had pinto and red, but life is full of compromises.

then yesterday, really night before that but was after midnite, so... i woke up / couldn't sleep (same thing thse days just like right now) and started putting away most of the meat off the spiral ham in containers for deep freeze, then the bone and meat around it went into the crockpot, and beans went onto the stove to boil a while till they were really soft.

spices added some brown sugar, celery seed, sprinkle of 'italian' seasoning, cinnamon, lots of paprika, pinch of anise, pinch of 5-pepper seasoning, some black pepper, something else i forget right now. no salt cuz it already has peltny in the ham itself--is almost like bacon so salty. oh, pinch of garlic, and soem whole rosemary seed. and maybe 1/4 cup of really dark balsamic vinegar. and lemon juice reconstituet stuff cuz i don't ahve fresh, and some fresh squished orange juce and some orange peel. lemon peel would be better but didn't have.

poured off the liquid for doggienoms flavoring, and kept he beans there as the ham crockpotted a few hours to softwen it up and let me get it off te bones.

by doggie breakfast time it was boild down enough to fit msot of the beans in there. let it keep cooking till midday and put rest of beans in, couple hours later time for work so put it awya in fridge.

still needed crushed tomatoes or paste but didn't have any, had to wait til after work to get that. got peeled crushed at work, two of the medium sized cans, then when home while dogs munched on the bones i moveed it all from the now-too-small crockpot (cuz i still aint' found the big one in the shed, pretty sure i saw it after the fire though) into the big stove pot, 5 quart or whatever.

let that all stew with more vinegtar and more brown sugar, little more of each of hte others too, i guess about 3 hours more or less, before i called it done cuz i was too hugnry to wait more. :oops:

wuz nomz. :wink:

dogs wanted some too, i relented since they were too cute, and after moving the stuff to containers for fridge and freezer i rinsed the pans and poured the flavorwater in their dinner bowls, which they appricated.

it could be better but i forget what i spiced with last time i did something like this, and i don't hve my old spice rack or bottles or recicpies, that stuff all disappeared druing the fire cleanup process. but it's still nomz anyway, and i've got enough to experiment with little bits of added spices/etc as i warm up bowls of it when i get into it in the next few weeks.

normally i make stuff like this (stews, chilis, etc) in batches and freeze some and fridge some, and eat off them in turn so i don't get bored sily with things, but also don't spend all my time standing there cooking. i don't cook many individual meals anymore cuz it's too time consuming, and even thouh i get les variety it uusually costs less to do this, sometimes by a fair bit, and leaves more time for resting or beign with the dogs or whatever else i ahve energy for.

backstory to how i found spiral cut ham works ok for this

weeks ago, i'd crockpotted the remains of the spiral-cut ham i'd gotten around thanksgiving, which i'd eaten on for a good while. the remains with the bone were around long enough to start smelling odd, which meant i probably shouldn't eat it, cuz my nose doesn't work right for bad meat anymore (long gross story) and if i could tell by smell something was off, it was probably really realy really off.

but there was too much to go to waste, and so i crockpotted the stuff for half a day to make doggie noms to add to their food as topping/flavoring for as long as it'd last, which was around a week or so i think as its' been gone for a good while now. coooked that long it probably wouldn't hurt even me anymore, but definitly ok for the dogs given the other stuff they find and eat in the yard sometimes.

anyway....while it was cooking, toward the end, it smelled soooooo goooood that i wanted some of it but didn't want to risk it just in case.

eventually i gave in and took a bowl and mixed in my bbq spices /etc and recooked it separately and it wuz nomz, and id idn't die from it, so....

so i waited till anothe rmega sale on spiral cut hams first week of feb and got me another one, and started collectin the ingredients for bbq pork again.

BBQ Pork is still nomz, even moreso after refrigeration overnight.

Still figuring out what it would go best with for sidedishes...used to use mashed potatoes for that but haven't bought potatoes in months; trying to avoid the carbs cuz I have a hard enough time minimizing my weight gain from depressive eating as it is. Probalby enough of those in the beans and sauce in it anyway.

Arizona Sun Stew

It's now hot enough now that I'm making beef stew in pots inside an aquarium on the shed roof out back. ;)
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49550&p=1055422#p1055422
file.php

file.php

Most of teh ingredients except the potatoes were stored in the deep freeze, so I thawed them in the bedroom with the fan blowing on them, to not waste teh cold ;) and avoid using extra unnecessary electricity. Then cut them up as they thawed and put into the pots, almost 50/50 between them (one is larger), with spices and water. The potatoes were boiled separately first, last night, along with some of the onions and peppers and spices, cuz they don't cook properly to get soft enough if I don't do that first, based on past experiments. Mixed them all up in the pots along with canned tomatoes, then moved them to the aquarium when teh sun came up over the house and trees across the street around 6am.

Within an hour ti was up to 120F inside the aquarium, in the shade of the pots. Now, at noon, it's 160F in there. It's probably hotter inside teh pots themselves, or will be in an hour or two. (don't wanna open it and let any heat out to check, didn't put a thermometer in the pots themselves).

It'll be done by dinnertime, and should feed me for the rest of this week and next.

True...but this is beef stew. Technically it's a *terra*rium, not *aqua*rium, but since most people have no idea what that is, I just call them aquariums cuz "everybody" knows what those look like. ;)

(tehy originally used them in our store before the remodel, to keep the reptiles and spiders and such in, so they ahve sliding glass doors, and a vented top of aluminim grillework, but I use them upside down with styrofoam over glass inside that grille, to trap the heat in there for sun tea and stuff like this. )

The air temperature reached up to 170F in there, though the stew in the metal pot only got to around 150F, and the stew in the crockpot only to 130F.

Needs a second layer of glass, with a black matte surface everywhere that doesnt need to pass sunlight thru to the inside, and more insulation underneath and around it.

Reply to here
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56285&p=1055782#p1055782
Punx0r said:
Ingenious :D What's the cooking temperature?
I don't recall what it would really take to cook the stew, for how long, exactly, but the metal pot that got to 150F did cook fine, and the crockpot that got to 130F didn't finish. So at least I know not to use the crockpot for this as it takes too much energy to heat the pot and not enough makes it into the cooking. (so for big batches I'll just have to use several smaller metal pots).

After a fashion, I got the idea originally from Mdd0127 when he made Solar Chili with a (commercial?) version of a portable solar cooker.... Sort of a multi-step process to get to using this. First I made the solar water heater, using a bare stripped-down water heater tank, then enclosed that in plexiglass (don't ahve big enough thick enough sheets of glass to not get broken) to keep heat in on that and get it hotter, then used that idea to do teh same for my suntea, whcih only really makes good and dark for about two months of the year otherwise. I just started a few months ago with experiments on food this way, first with just the still-plugged-in crockpot outside where midday sun would give it a good boost during cooking thru the glass lid, and now via variations on this method.

ErnestoA said:
I bet that's gonna be some gooood stew! :D
It is noms. :) But I had to use electricity to finish cooking the crockpot version, as I didn't want to waste the energy of refrigerating it overnight, then re-potting it and putting it out in the sun-cooker again for today (especially since i have to work today so can't be there to ensure nothing gets into the cooker while it's up there...unfortunately ants can still reach it, and sometimes they do find it, so I have to keep an eye on that and wash their chemical trails off teh shed walls and roof when they do).

Now I need to put my solar water heater back together (was taken down during winter to make a roof version and I never got to that), so I can use the money otherwise spent on that to help a teeny bit with the cooling bill for the bedroom for the dogs and me.

Freshly caught trout :shock: :p
2014-10-02%2021.13.22.jpg

I like the sun stew AW.

I just wanted to say I ate a mosquito the other day. It went from sucking my blood to being digested by me. That sob.

Also, two simple dishes that I'm sure have been done, but I think I came up with them on my own.
Fish (salmon best for unknown reasons)
crushed tomatoes
fresh spinach
black olives

Cook salmon, steam spinach from the hot salmon. add warm sauce and chopped olives. Sweet and sour, real simple. Add herbs spices as you like

Another really surprised me.
Tilapia
toated wheat squares (big or small)
apple
best spices imo would be old bay/chili powder

Cook fish, add in wheat and apple squares. Allow your cast iron pan to put the heat into the dish.
I know fish apple turnovers sounds gross, but it's not a bad dish with tilapia!

nutspecial, looks like you like fish :D
I am eating a snapper right now caught in Mozambique, Suth East Africa :D

More stew....was gonna do it as solar but it has been partly-cloudy enough the last several days, and so would never have heated enough to cook, that I had to just go ahead and cook it on the stove last night instead of even trying to prepare it for solar. :( As usual it's done in two pots, cuz I don't have a single one large enough anymore.

But I had a surprise (not the good kind) this morning--the biggest pot of the two had foamed up. :(

After prepping it all, boiling the potatoes, then adding everythign else and slow cooking for a few hours (in my usual styrofoam "box" to keep the heat in for efficiency), I left it to cool around 3am (when the dogs woke me for something). Dogs didn't wake me at dawn like usual, but around 9am was awakened by heat cuz my window A/C unit had completely frozen over on it's internal heatexchanger coils (as noted, has been humid last several days).

Got up to find the dogs in the kitchen (tile floor cooler than the bedroom, even with air at 90F), plus the smell of the stew....), and checked the stew, finding the smaller pot cooled and nommy-smelling, but the larger pot (about 3x the volume of teh other), had foamed up and smelled bitter--no idea where it came from but must've gotten something yeasty in there. :/

Since I can't afford to waste that much food, I took some of it out into another small pot and added water to both, then boiled it up for a couple of hours while I fed the dogs and watered the trees/lantana/squash/etc. This returned it to a normal-looking stew, though it doesn't smell quite like it should it's not bitter anymore. It might not be salvageable, but I then put it into containers and into the deepfreeze, so hopefully between the boiling and the freezing it'll kill off anythign that might make me sick, and hope there's no toxins in the food itself.

I'll do a small taste of it later, when I run out of the other stuff that stayed normal, which is in the fridge.

Eh, Kingfish's went fine
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=36981&p=921065&hilit=What+did+you+cook+today#p919994
;)

I suspect it'll be fine: I'd left the pots (with a fair bit of leavings in them stuck to the sides and bottom, which normally I'd've let the dogs clean out, but....) on the counter next to the sink. One of them (almost certainly Yogi; Tiny doesn't generally get up on things like that) took them off and cleaned them pretty good. As neither dog has had any adverse reactions, or appeared even the slightest bit inconvenienced....

I know dogs' guts are better at killing off stuff like that but they aren't perfect, and Yogi is a little sensitive to getting the runs when he eats some things he ought not to.

Made some Chair Siu with a pork tenderloin. Used NOH Chair Siu (Chinese Barbecue) doctored a bit and let it marinade in the fridge overnight. This stuff was really good, tender and easy to make. Baked 20 minutes one side and 15 the other in a 350 degF oven. Another good way to use it is julienne up a few slices and use it in egg rolls.

Attachments

• CharSiu (800 x 600).jpg
    CharSiu (800 x 600).jpg
    110 KB · Views: 2,842
Ribs, ribs, glorious baby back ribs! Can you believe I am over 60 and this is my first attempt at ribs? ...well it is! I did them with indirect heat on an old Ducane two burner gas grill that my Dad bought for me as a housewarming gift in 1976! :mrgreen:

I used a lot of the tips from http://www.amazingribs.com I salted, then rested for an hour. Coated them in grape seed oil and then used the Memphis Dust rub. Then went about 4.5 hours with indirect heat. Had a tinfoil pan of water over the burner, and smoked twice with hickory chips on the grate. I used 4 oz of chips which gave 25 minutes of smoke, followed by another 4 oz of hickory chips. I then kept it as best I could between 225 and 250 degF for another 3 or so hours.

These were truly a balanced rib. Smoke, rub and sauce balanced with a great pork flavor. It was a lot of work trying to keep the temperature in range. Any wind would change it 40 degF!
ribs1.jpg
ribs2.jpg

My new iGrill tied to my Android worked miracles. The plotting and alarm capability sure helped out. It was fun, and good... but a lot of time on the grill.
ribs3.jpg

Looks nommmmmzzz. :)

bigmoose said:
It was a lot of work trying to keep the temperature in range. Any wind would change it 40 degF!
That's one reason brick walls and such around grills get built--to help keep the heat more constant, partly by blocking wind, and partly by preheating them and having them act as a thermal buffer. (and/or reflecting heat back in, depending on the type of brick used).

My new iGrill tied to my Android worked miracles. The plotting and alarm capability sure helped out. It was fun, and good... but a lot of time on the grill.
See, now that is how we do things on ES, even when we cook we plot the data. ;)

Back