What ebike would you choose for 1700 dolars?

Hello,

iam thinking about build new ebike. Offer is very wide today, so please tell me your own preferences, opinions and thoughts for inspiration.

I am looking for as most powerfull as possible full suspended bike with budget 1700 dolars, including tax and shipping to europe.

I already have 16ah 72V LiPo battery and charger, so budget is only for bike and motor.

Use of bike will be half city - every day going to work and half hobby - light off road and tracks in nature.

I dont have preferences in mid or hub motor.

What would you choose?

thank you

At 72v, you sort of just did choose hub motor.

You still need: motor, controller, wire harness, controls, and misc parts to build your bike. So don't spend too much on the bike but it does need to be robust. You are looking for a used DH bike that is some 10+ yrs old but still built with good brakes and suspension, preferably a Large within 700$ budget. The other 1000$ should be enough for a big motor/controller combo, and the other parts that you will need. Since you don't tell your speed requirements, it is impossible to tell what motor you need.

dogman dan said:

ok, why? (of course i can do more Ah with lower V, but i thought its better to have more volts)

MadRhino said:
You still need: motor, controller, wire harness, controls, and misc parts to build your bike. So don't spend too much on the bike but it does need to be robust. You are looking for a used DH bike that is some 10+ yrs old but still built with good brakes and suspension, preferably a Large within 700$ budget. The other 1000$ should be enough for a big motor/controller combo, and the other parts that you will need. Since you don't tell your speed requirements, it is impossible to tell what motor you need.

Yea, thats exactly what i was thinking about! My top speed requirements are around 70 - 80 kph, most of time i will ride around 45-50 kph. And i live in place with lots of hills. (prague, czech republic) Lots of them are very steep an short and lots of them are very long, but not that steep. Of course that i want fast acceleration too, but i think that fast acceleration have every powerfull ebike.

I have cyclone 1680w on hardtail bike now. My experience with it is, that climbing ability is super ok (but it rides slow) , acceleration is super ok, top speed is super ok, but shifting is bit annoying and it heats a lot if its not used on full throttle - so pedaling is not possible and its also bit annoying. iam also afraid about chain. Maybe new cyclone coaxial 4kw with motorcycle chain and shifting in hub can be another option?

thank you for your replys

dogman dan said:

why? I use 20s and 18s and use mid driven motors, Last hub I bought I sold after the first test ride(too heavy)

higher the voltage smaller the conductors...but typically the battery will be larger...

If you mid drive keep in mind the noise...I have one bike that is really loud from chain noise using cart 420 chain and sprockets... and then I have one using #41 roller chain and sine wave and it is so much quieter. If you want to be stealth on the road a hub will be better, second you take it off road in the hills you will regret having a hub tho...

I

yea i know about noise from mid drive. I have cyclone 1680w now. Its bit annoying but i am used with it now.

mafire@email.c said:
yea i know about noise from mid drive. I have cyclone 1680w now. Its bit annoying but i am used with it now.

1680w bb cyclone kit 25mph constant 35mph peak would cost £350
( can be moded with a rewind to lower the kv and better bearings and a better controller should take your speeds up a bit and make it so you can pedel cost around £250-£350 depending on how far you want to push it 30mph constant 45mph peak is not that hard )
giving you plenty to spend on a nice bike

1500 bucks buys a new Radcity. Do the math, some ebike kits are more expensive than ebikes. Radcity is a well built powerful ebike with regenerative braking, 48 volt 10 amp battery and a powerful DD motor 750 watt motor. I'm very satisfied with mine. https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/radcity-technical-specs
Radcity Radpower.png

George. I have no doubt that you are happy with this bike, but the OP is looking to build a powerful bike. With the battery that he has already, it would be conservative to expect 10 times the power that you are suggesting.

mafire@email.c said:
I am looking for as most powerfull as possible...

I already have 16ah 72V LiPo battery and charger
You can feed a big hub motor a lot of power with this battery. 100 + kmh is possible, with acceleration to beat most motorcycles on a start. Simpler to build than a mid drive, silent and reliable.

MadRhino said:
George. I have no doubt that you are happy with this bike, but the OP is looking to build a powerful bike. With the battery that he has already, it would be conservative to expect 10 times the power that you are suggesting.

"Power...expect 10 times you are suggesting". Sounds like he wants more than an EBIKE. The Radcity is the high end of street legal. If he wants more than 750 watts he should post his question on the E Vehicle discussion. Ebikes are looked at suspiciously enough by die hard bikers, we don't need over powered non street legal "ebikes" ruining our right to use public roads and bike lanes.

georgefromvt said:
MadRhino said:

"Power...expect 10 times you are suggesting". Sounds like he wants more than an EBIKE. The Radcity is the high end of street legal. If he wants more than 750 watts he should post his question on the E Vehicle discussion. Ebikes are looked at suspiciously enough by die hard bikers, we don't need over powered non street legal "ebikes" ruining our right to use public roads and bike lanes.

to be honest most ebikes break the law because they dont state if its 250w input output or at the wheel some "road legal bikes" are 500w input and dont cut out until way over 15.5mph

they will eventually have to make the law clear but they wont do it untill they can work out how to deal with kid e scooters mobilaty scooters and what not as all of those also break the laws in 1 way or another

i have done over 70,000 miles over the last 10 years i keep my speed reasonable when people are about and dont ride like an idiot so i have never been stoped by police i have had lots of people on bikes ask questions but never had arguments with anyone over my bike ( not counting people in cars driving like idiots and chucking stuff out there windows / shouting things like pay road tax or get off the road )

zackclark70 said:
georgefromvt said:
MadRhino said:

to be honest most ebikes break the law because they dont state if its 250w input output or at the wheel some "road legal bikes" are 500w input and dont cut out until way over 15.5mph

they will eventually have to make the law clear but they wont do it untill they can work out how to deal with kid e scooters mobilaty scooters and what not as all of those also break the laws in 1 way or another

i have done over 70,000 miles over the last 10 years i keep my speed reasonable when people are about and dont ride like an idiot so i have never been stoped by police i have had lots of people on bikes ask questions but never had arguments with anyone over my bike ( not counting people in cars driving like idiots and chucking stuff out there windows / shouting things like pay road tax or get off the road )

Haha! That last part is epic! I've realized just with using my ebike for 1 week and not even commuting to work with it yet that I need to be considerate of people close by or people I'm passing...walkers will look at my bike like what the...and it doesn't really help if I end up flying by them. Especially if they don't see me coming. Scaring someone could really tick People off...especially where I live.

Here, cars are very dangerous. They are dangerous everywhere, but here all of them are speeding above the speed limits. It is a tradition I guess, and on 2 wheels I find much safer to have the power to accelerate them, keeping them at a safe distance because they don't.

Now, it is up to every rider to set his bike to suit his requirements. If their requirements are above their ability to deal with the speed and power that they chose to build, they will notice by themselves and set lower. All sort of riders here, living with all sort of riding conditions, regulations and freedom, all over the world. We are not here to promote or forbid anything, we are here to help making things happen.

Philaphlous said:
zackclark70 said:
georgefromvt said:
MadRhino said:

Haha! That last part is epic! I've realized just with using my ebike for 1 week and not even commuting to work with it yet that I need to be considerate of people close by or people I'm passing...walkers will look at my bike like what the...and it doesn't really help if I end up flying by them. Especially if they don't see me coming. Scaring someone could really tick People off...especially where I live.

its our responsibility to promote ebikes in a positive just to day when i went on a 4h ride i talked to 4 people that are intrested in ebikes so i sent them here after explaining the law and showing them how fun they are :)

After 8 yrs riding powerful ebikes all year long, everyone here knows that my bikes are illegal. The police never bothered me, other than curiosity about the bikes and lately, about the helmet. I ride faster than the trafic as soon as I have a chance, but other than speeding I have a very safe and professional behaviour and never confront anyone. I avoid riding with cyclists in town and if I ever have to, I slow down to their speed. I ride the mountain trails off busy hours, usually very early in the morning when the only other riders that I might meet, are cavalry police on the way to their shift assignment. They stop to watch me speed up the trail, they know me and find it amusing.

I don't have questions to answer much anymore about ebikes, but the first years I couldn't park in peace. :wink:

[HURUMPF] Hi "mafire@email.c"...

Yah know... ES Krew was maybe born from the DIY Crowd... but lately manufactures (and even car companies) are playing "catch up"? Today (here in Canada at least), with a thing "good credit rating" one can finance the purchase of one new electric bike where monthly loan payments are about HALF the cost of a monthly pass for pubic transit. (Sorry about spelling errors. Spell check acting up.) So ya get stuff like a warranty (one company recently announced good for THREE years). Here in Canada our "power-assisted bicycles" are "pony-powered" at a legal 500 watts... but that's CONTINOUS... with no mention about any PEAKS. (Funny lawyers.)

So a "high-powered"/street legal pony-powered electric bike is WAAAY "faster" than about ALL car/truck traffic (trapped in congested urban traffic). And with electric traction it's about ALL ABOUT the TORQUE. Really, unless you like buying LOTS of new tires... it's "no fun" spinning the motor-driven wheel? ... (OK. Yes. It's fun... just expensive. Hard on the battery also.)

Really suggest you consider a "store bought" electric bike as first electric, then start assembling a box of bits to build yerself a "Second Generation" electric.

(Just my 2.5 cents Canadian.)
L

Back