What Ride-Charge-Ride delay times?

Wattster

10 W
What time delays do you like between using a lithium pack and charging it or after charging and going for a ride. What is safe and what will be the best for the health of the battery?

Seems this is often overlooked besides my sur-ron manual says wait 5 minutes after charging before riding but know rc racers like to take the battery "hot" off the charger and right to the track.

Thanks for the input!

I don't know why you would have to wait, unless the battery is being charged at a rate excessive for it's capabilities so it is heating up during charge, and has to cool off before you can then discharge it. (or heating during discharge and has to cool off before being charged)

Or unless the BMS is poorly designed and can't handle immediately changing over from charge mode to discharge mode, and vice-versa.

Or the battery is in a questionable state (or built questionably) and needs time for cells to "settle" in voltage, either rising up from voltage sag or self-discharging from full enough for the BMS (or user, if manually monitoring) to see the problem and shutdown to prevent issues, before either charging or discharging.

For a healthy battery being used well-within it's capablities, and any BMS on it designed correctly and operating normally, I can't see a reason for a delay between usage and charge/discharge.

Are there specific reasons stated for the packs you're discussing to require this delay?

The reason I ask is know a lot of people stop and charge mid ride and was curious what the best practices are? Only my Surron manual has mentioned waiting 5 minutes after charging before you ride and just wanted to know if there was more to it.

Has anyone done tests?

Has anyone noticed I'll effects going from in use to charging and back to in use quickly?

Guessing it's not a problem with regen being so popular.

On a typical ebike BMS, with less than 50mA balancing current drain on each cell group, balancing would not be a 5 minute thing, but instead could take hours or longer to do this if there was a problem worth worrying about.

In 5 minutes (going by the Surron delay), a 50mA current would drain only 1/12th of 50mAh from a cell. If you had cells that were high enough vs others to be a problem with charging to full (which is a process that should already be finished at this point anyway, with "green light" of whatever type there is on your system for charge complete ;) ), it'll be more than a 50mAh difference, and certainly more than 1/12th of that (a tad more than 4mAh, or 0.004Ah).

I think to find out why the Surron manual says to wait, you would have to ask Surron directly. I would guess that the response is that they don't know, or that they will make something up that doesn't make any sense, rather than asking the team that developed the manual (if they are still there) why they said to wait.

It would be so much nicer if manuals gave reasons for the things they say to do, but it's rarely a thing. :/

Thanks for the response. Yeah I've always balanced my cells and the sur-ron battery takes a hour or so to complete. Was just curious as that was the only mention of a delay I could find and it didn't seem much talked about so wasn't sure if I should be concerned.

From my RC experience lipos are pretty robust and only they cheaper packs would show signs or lost capacity or the ones ran in boats, fast boats kill batteries from the constant load.

Back