What to do with this motor

I checked the voltage of all the hall sensor wires,

Red/black - 4.403V
Black/blue - 3.358V no change when I turn the hub
Black/green - 3.434V no change when I turn the hub
Black/yellow - 3.423V no change when I turn the hub

I checked all the pins and made sure they were seated, I checked continuity from the back of the motor hall plug to the back of the controller hall plug to make sure all the connections were... connecting, I checked continuity from the hall sensor wire pin inside the plug to the circuit board where the wires go. I checked continuity of each little branch of each hall sensor to their connecting point on the circuit board. It all checks out, it all has continuity, nothing is shorting. I don't know what to do next. And to make things worse, something got into the motor without me knowing when I put it all back together. Something that made the motor grind to a halt when I tried turning it by hand. I opened the motor yet again and found a small piece of metal that was wedged between the stator and magnets. I put the motor back together yet again and when I'm done, upon inspection I find that I damaged the insulation of one of the phase wires. :| So I'll have to open it again to fix that. I might just change all the wires to 12 gauge and make it easier for myself. The 10 gauge wires fit in the shaft but it is very very tight when it come time to put the end cap on. The wires coming out of the controller are 12 gauge anyway.
Right now I'm very frustrated with this motor and this whole experience. I wasted a whole weekend on this with no good results but I learned how to check hall sensors. But I'm still frustrated so I'm going to take a break from this motor for a few hours. Maybe a few days.

Thanks for your patience and for the help everyone.

i find the days stretch to months and then years. a bummer is a bummer is a bummer

it is amazing how you can find those little washers, that you lose when you need them, are right there in between the magnet and the stator.

you still have to verify that you have the 5V on the halls themselves out on the stator.

Which hall effect sensors do I need for replacement? I searched for a while and there are so many that I have no idea which to get. The numbers on the ones on the motor right now is: 41F035.
I'm thinking that this would be the last attempt to save this motor, replace the hall effect sensors, put new 12 gauge phase wires and see what that does. But which sensors do I need?

yes, that is the chinese knock off of the honeywell SS41. i still have 7 left, sold almost all of mine now. from 80 total.

mouser is almost always cheaper. i never order from digikey, just mouser and newark.

I got some stuff in the mail, only the hall sensors but it's a start so I cleaned up the stator, got the old sensors out and cleaned the circuit board. I was thinking of using JB Weld to glue the sensors but then I thought it would be too difficult to clean if I need to replace a sensor in the future so I will use regular 30 minute epoxy. It sure looks like it was ordinary epoxy that held the old sensors in place.

motorino_motor_hall1.jpg

motorino_motor_circuit_board_hall.jpg

The rest of what I needed came in with hopes to finish repairing this motor. I epoxied the hall sensors and re-installed the circuit board and rewired the whole thing. After putting some dielectric urethane varnish on the rotor and stator, I reassembled the motor, put it in the vise and plugged the wires to my scooter for testing.

motorino_motor_new_hall_sensors.jpg

motorino_motor_varnish1.jpg

So how did the newby do? Did he succeed in fixing this motor that was a bit messed up? Yes the newby succeeded. :)

hey, really congratulations.. i love to see stuff reborn, this was a long shot at the beginning so glad it has turned out to run.

what epoxy did you use for the hall sensors, not the JB Weld after all?

No I didn't use the JB Weld. I was affraid that if I had to removed the sensors that the JB Weld would be very difficult to clean from the tiny spots where the sensors sit. I just used 30 minute epoxy.

Back