What to do with unused BMS balance wire

maxim7745

1 µW
Seen this same basic question on a few posts here when I searched the forum, but it seems to be BMS specific so I figured I'd better create my own with a link to the one I am using (see below). Went to the manufacturer's website but was unable to find any instructions, and the seller wasn't any help either. Printed on the board, it says that it works as a 13s, 14s, or 15s BMS and has 16 balance wires (markings indicate one goes to the negative side of the first cell) and I am making a 14s battery, leaving me with one extra.

If my understanding is correct, I either need to leave the superfluous lead unattached to anything (one post comment said cutting it off might cause issues) or connect it to the last balance wire that is actually being used. Would appreciate advice on which to try and the safest order and method. This being my first battery build, I would be most grateful for any assistance. Thanks very much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-BMS-for-48V-14S-Li-ion-Battery-Pack-with-Equilibrium-40A-charge-discharge/172835127092?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Having slept on it and looked anew, I realized that while there are markings for 16 leads, the balance lead sockets do in fact only have 15 pins total (there are two, one with 11 pins and one with four). One just isn't hooked up. Also now notice that one bank of resistors (out of 15) has been left unpopulated.

Not deleting the post in case someone can learn from my mistake. Sorry if I've wasted anyone's time. Thanks!

Back