• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

What tyre sealant?

NeilP

1 GW
A while back when browsing the forum, I saw a thread about tyre sealant , and a link to a you tube video of a chap riding the bike over a strip of nails, stabbing the tyre etc, to show how good the sealant he used was

Cant find the thread now

Anyone know the thread I am talking ?

That sounds like the "Stan's NoTubes" video, I can't seen to find the link though.

Paul G

I prefer slime brand, 4x4 formulation. It won't even go into tubes with too small a valve neck. Chunky.

I just finally had to do the annual maintenance on my dirtbikes front tire. It had a few hundred mesquite thorns in it. Once in a while, you must remove the ones that are more than a half inch long. I pumped in some more slime, and put the same tube back on, after removing the longer thorns.

Really should have put a new tube on, but didn't have one handy in the garage yesterday. I find the slime works pretty good, till you run back home on a tire that got too low. Then those 25-50 half inch long thorns in the tube poke through the other side. The slime doesn't work well on the rim side of the tube once it's been pincushioned too many times.

I ride on gravel tracks all the time, I used to get plenty of flats. After reading a thread on ES, i got me a couple of extra thick 26" tubes with slime already in them, since then I've had no problems.

Gow.

Thanks guys..Stasn was the one I was thinking of

Have just ordered some heavy duty downhill tubes. ALready have some tyre liners..Will run with whatever tyres I have kicking around...trying to save a bit of cash and use up some of the stuff that i Have kicking around

I gave up on tire liners. They'd have to be 3/4 inch thick for me. :roll: Those thorns are just like panel nails. But all types of tire sealants work best on the thicker tubes for sure. Thicker rubber give the goop more area to clog up, getting a better plug.

I was refering to thicker tubes, that have more surface area to clog up with the slime when punctured. These mesquite thorns go right through 8 ply 4x4 truck tires with ease, so I never thought of looking at tougher tires. I bet it would help in a lot of places, but here, it's just a carpet of caltrops every where you go.

I've heard that the tire slime tubes them selves are crap, but I use regular tubes and Tire slime, and have never had a flat with that. I use thick DH tubes and Kevlar tires. The worst I've hit is drywall screws.

Tire slime comes in a few diffrent formulas. I Use the one ment for ATV tires. We also have mesquite and Bois D'arc thorns here, but not as bad as Dogman. Mostly its Briar patches and blackberry thorns

I am virtually on road all the time...and nothing with thorns to cause a problem, so any of this stuff should do me just fine

Drunkskunk said:
I've heard that the tire slime tubes them selves are crap, but I use regular tubes and Tire slime, and have never had a flat with that.

The 5x super thick tubes with slime added are THE best tubes I've used and I've used them ALL!
you can even run directly ON THE TUBE ITSELF. (And yes, I've done it before, so I know it works)

Sounds like you're heading down the right path. Don't bother with light weight slime tubes. I tried to use them on my road bike and they were worse than racing tubes.

I have had some mixed luck with Stan's. Our problem is "goat heads". I've pulled 4 or 5 from my front tire, but the rear tire still flatted. It made a big, gooey white mess inside my tire but didn't seal the hole. All I can figure is that either I didn't put enough in or I didn't mix the bottle well enough to get all the fiber parts in that seal the hole.

Back