• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Wheel bearing help please

PedalPedal

10 mW
it is a Novatec wheel with "K09121200001" on it. Does anyone know what bearings to use? There are no numbers printed on the race or hub.

Oh no, I just realized that the hub is most likely a custom build for the bike because it is a tadpole and only supported on one side. I asked the bike manufacturer and he said that he had used different wheels over the years and didn't know what the bearings are.

Today there was a pinging sound which became quite insistent. After checking the spokes, and disk I pulled the wheel off the bike and found that one bearing is noisy and oily. The LBS didn't have one so the mechanic popped the seal off and cleaned it out with isopropyl and packed it with grease. I got home OK.

I'm thinking I will pull the wheel again, remove the bearing and see what the other side of the race has on it.

UPDATE:

Went to another LBS and got some bearings. They catastrophically failed a week later... Went back to the second LBS and the shop manager said that they had installed the wrong kind of bearing, headset bearings don't work for wheels. They provided and installed the correct bearings for no charge. So far so good!

Back