• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Who has GPS?

Patriot

10 kW
Someone on here probably does. However, I don't think Doctorbass does.

As I watched his video on YouTube, I noticed he has just about every gizmo on his handlebars, except GPS.

I've been thinking of picking up a 3.5" screen GPS system that is waterproof, and installing it on my stem just aft of my voltmeter.

Keep in mind, I have absolutely no reason to get one. I know the roads around here pretty good. But, just having that gizmo, would be kinda fun. It's a pure bling item.

Does anyone else have one?

Have you ever had any real use for it?

you said it yourself: what would you actually use it for? ride route tracings would be one thing, but gmaps-pedometer already does that for free for the price of a little pointing and clicking.

i'm of the opinion that most e-bikes already have far too much clutter in the handlebar region.

I'm making a braket to hold my Garmin Nuivi 360, it's very small, light and can be set for bicycle :D

I don't need it to be water proof...if if rain I don't put it on!

Personally I like having a GPS on my bike. Of course I use the same GPS in my car, on my scooter and on my bike. Not as much on my bike but I have used it several times. Of course I get lost backing out of my garage so I really need it. But I don't have a bike mode on mine. My neighbor has one that has "bread crumb" on it. It will track your travels while walking of biking and direct you back to where you started if you get yourself lost. This is something I would find useful because some of the bike trails I ride can be confusing which way you came from.

Got Garmin Nuvi 350. Set it for bicycle and shortest distance, it takes me on side roads. Electric Bike Project #2 [not done] will have 5V output to power GPS.

Can not find GPS with bike trails :(

Call Ram Mount. They will help figure what you need to mount GPS to handlebars.
http://www.ram-mount.com/
RAMB149ZGA21.jpg

marty said:
Got Garmin Nuvi 350. Set it for bicycle and shortest distance, it takes me on side roads. Electric Bike Project #2 [not done] will have 5V output to power GPS.

Can not find GPS with bike trails :(

Call Ram Mount. They will help figure what you need to mount GPS to handlebars.
http://www.ram-mount.com/
RAMB149ZGA21.jpg

Nice find...I know what I will order now :) (and it's not expensive, the plastic base that clip on my Garmin sell for less than 10$)

I have a portable 3.5" one that I strap on the handlebars to test speed when experimenting with different voltages, controllers, tyres etc.
I dont use any of the swivel mounts or anything like that, just duct tape the flat cradle part that clips on to the actual GPS unit directly to the handlebars and it holds up well.

Its useful when out trail riding too. Near me there's a huge expanse of bush with tracks and trails that branch again and again and pretty quickly you're in the middle of no where (eg here ). Having the GPS you can easily see where the nearest road is to find your way out, or to head in that general direction. Ideally you'd just pay attention to where you're going and return the same way, but a few times it's been handy when the battery is starting to run low and I can find a quick way out back to a road where I can take it easy and use less power getting home. Having google earth satellite pics on a PDA GPS is 4TW!

Patriot said:
Someone on here probably does. However, I don't think Doctorbass does.

As I watched his video on YouTube, I noticed he has just about every gizmo on his handlebars, except GPS.

I was wrong. SON OF A......!!!!!!!!

file.php

:lol: :mrgreen: !!!

You forgot to show the 4 battery pack voltage monitor/alarm and the temp/alarm meter of the motor.. !!

Soon.. a 120V 15A ac outlet... and laser green scanner for scaning puthole on the pavement during the night :mrgreen:

Doc

Attachments

• Battery and motor monitoring_1024x768.JPG
    Battery and motor monitoring_1024x768.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,227
^^^ A rolling electronics factory.

HA!!! I won't be impressed until you get a cappuccino maker.

:wink:

GPS? I find the altimeter indispensable for instrument landings!

Attachments

• cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,384
I have the Garmin Edge 305

It's a tiny GPS or overweight bike computer, depends how you look at it.

Does not do turn by turn navigation or have a colour screen. Does track, show & log position, current/ave/max speed, distance, pedal cadence, heart rate, elevation, elapsed time, etc...

A reliable bike computer and useful tool for comparing performance over time on the same routes/rides.

I've seen these little jobbies on Ebay for as little as $85. Probably shipped from China. They appear to be like new refurbished models, and they sure are cheap. Not sure if I would trust them though.

I'm also not too sure of the tiny screen. I would almost prefer a bigger screen.

1.jpg

Back