Winter Riding "Often or Not" Is it safe?

At minimum you need a studded front tire!
Better is two.
If tires not identical, then the front should be the better one.
It is possible to make your own "homemade" studded tires.
attachment.php

During the worst ... I lower my seat so I can "ski" my feet.

For extra torque, deep snow, slush etc., I will be running a 33V battery with reduced gearing.
Larger Ah battery at reduced voltage, should help minimize voltage sag due to cold.

The eZip removable battery pack allows me to keep battery warm till used.
I have considered a battery warmer but my shorter trips don't require much time in the cold.
file.php

This Winter, IT'S ON! I am really trying to avoid buying a parking pass from the university this year. Hence, I just scooped up a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires off of eBay. On really terrible days, I suppose I'll buy a temporary parking pass just for the day, but the plan is to get there on the bike as often as possible.

What are your experiences with winter riding? Safe? Fun? Bat-Shizah Crazy? Over the last couple months, I have already racked up about 500 miles. I don't see too many reasons why the winter should stop me :twisted:

I ride 365 days a year and I wouldn't use a car even in the worst days of the winter. It is a matter of personal endurance I guess, many friends do not ride in the witer.

MadRhino said:
I ride 365 days a year and I wouldn't use a car even in the worst days of the winter. It is a matter of personal endurance I guess, many friends do not ride in the witer.

Please share secrets to your success. I'm going to ride through the winter for the first time here in Denver.

Living outside of Cleveland Ohio, I road my coaster brake bike back in the 50's every day to high school, rain, shine, snow, sleet, etc. back then not knowing any better as to danger, rapped my rear and front wheel with a small chain that would clear the bike's metal wheel supports to ride in the snow, I think it was called furnace chain. Worked real well when the road was a sheet of ice.

MadRhino said:
It is a matter of personal endurance.
I agree with the MadRhino, though it is not that hard to ride in winter conditions with the right gear. Spike tires are the first priority.
Poagies are also very helpful in keeping your hands warm because that is the part that gets the coldest when riding in winter weather.
pogies1.jpg

When I lived in the snow belt of Ontario, I rode my mountain bike every day rain snow, sleet or hail; even through 12 inch dumps. I would travel only on quiet routes and I would ride in the ruts carved by other vehicles and slow or stop to carefully change ruts if I needed to turn or be closer to the curb. My mountain bike had good knobby tires but without spikes; still, I never crashed and I never missed an appointment with the students that I was home tutoring for extra income.

Riding in deep snow is not for the faint of heart and requires a great deal of dexterity, coordination and judgement to avoid accidents. Riding in deep fresh snow would be out of the question on any non-electric bike, though I confess I have not tried it since I went electric. With studded tires, perhaps you could power through the powder. I suspect the wet sticky stuff would be a show stopper if not for the ruts carved by other vehicles.

Harder yet were those days or nights where the temperature dipped to -15F or below with wind chill values approaching -60F. I found my eyeballs would start to freeze within seconds and soon leaned to don the full balaclava with ski goggles, layered clothing and not an inch of skin showing. I was always snug and warm after getting the dress right. The extreme cold also caused my gears to be completely thrown off by contraction of the metal frame.

Aside from the technical challenges of riding in snow, I see the main challenge of riding in extreme cold would be in keeping the battery warm. You would have to charge and store the battery indoors when not riding and place it in a very well insulated bag for the ride.

Now I live on the Canadian West Coast, which is much warmer and wetter. Still, I hope for a decent snowfall in order to try my hands at snow e biking.

soooo, the winter is soon here for some of us and i was thinking about ice tires for my bike :roll:

some new cheap studs out there :?:

For the safest possible winterbiking on 2 wheels you need to use 26" wheels to have access to the 300+stud xc mtn bike winter tyres.

For icy surfaces and chilled rain (black ice?) in particular, something with a wheelbase with an area is safer. For example my trike to the right ->.
Its tilting just like a regular bike, but the major difference is that the front have a base that cant just disappear under you as traction disappears.
Have had some dual front wheel slides when coming in too hot on icy surfaces, but no crashes. For 20" wheels my prefered studded tyre is schwalbe marathon winter.
Stoppingpower is also superior with 2 wheels in the front on ice.
Under messy snow conditions, 3 wheeltracks are no advantage.

got a fatbike and it cost like 200 dollar for one tire :(

Back