• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Winter Weather Emergany Repair Please help ASAP!!!

If it wasn't bad enough the weather sux and something came up sucking out my chopper build putting on hold till spring.

Now the Aotema Front hub has an issue that arose from the weather.

The 3 phase wires going to the motor are badly chafed. I noticed it on my inspection while changing to the 2.5 snow tires.

I remover the allen screws from the side the wires go into the motor pryed a little on the cover and it popped and cam out about an 1/8 of an inch, but I cant seam to get it to come off much further. Anyone know the trick to getting this off.

Secondly I failed to mark the cover thought about it after I did it. I assume since this is the free moving part of the hub and it is brushless it don't matter what way it goes back on I just want to make sure.

Please Respond

On the 9C you put a 2x4 on the ground, grab with both hands and hit the non wire side axle on the 2x4. Well, that is what I did. Someone may have a more civilized approach.

Never been inside on myself, wish I could help more, but I believe you are correct, I don't think you have to worry which way it goes back in. Just don't get your fingers pinched! The magnets will slam it back together with enough force to remove a finger on some hub motors!

I have heard of some people using axle pullers. At least on geared motors.

A large 3 jaw puller is the preferred method. On the Aotema, the wires don't get in the way of using it on either side. The wires get chafed easy coming out the side of the axle, but it they do, it's often due to movement. That indicates a problem with the install, loose nuts, deformed washers, miss fit due to forks designed for QR hubs, etc.

On the cover on the wire side, punching out the cover with a smack on a 2x4 is a good way to cut the insulation on the wiring on aotema and clyte motors. Works fine on other motors with the wire inside the axle.

I agree with dogman that a 3 jaw puller is the best way, but you still have to create some space to insert the jaws. I never used a jaw puller. I carefully create creases with thin knives then insert flat head screwdrivers. eventually hub loosens up and will pop up. Be careful, though. You could get a broken piece of knife flying.

I am really sorry about the bad info I gave you Rhino. I've taken apart one hub." I should learn when to hang back and learn" I hope all went well working on it.

he only needed to take the cover off, not take the motor apart so whacking it on the piece of wood on the ground is the right way to free up the cover.

remove all the screws holding the cover on the side with the wires coming outa the axle.

put the axle nut on the end of the axle opposite the wires, backwards so the wide part faces out, and the end of the axle threads are not exposed to damage when you whack it.

whack the entire motor, wheel, and axle down onto the wood block and that causes the axle to push the cover plate off the hub so you can pry it off with a butter knife if it still hangs on. don't use a gear puller, please.

Thanks for all the info guy I got it off and repaired the wires. the new ones are fully equipped with Nylock friction strips to prevent it from happening again. I also too extra care reinstalling it hub this time in order to prevent pinch and pressure points.

Oh By the way a nice time for this all to happen. the heat exchanger in the furnace was leaking and set off the CO2 sensors. The furnace was not upto code so it had to be replaced. $4700 yeaa. One drawback to owning your own townhouse instead of renting. Can you say Bike Build Delayed :-(

Back