• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Would this work?

steomi

10 mW
Hey all,
I just received a DB (Derby) Diamondback Topanga and was wondering if this would work to convert into a front hub. It's all steel so the magnet tells me.
I found out it is from mid 1980's to early 1990's (so the guy told me at the company). Looking for ideas also if I may just be waisting time. I am 260, all year commute (Wisconsin), some hills, C9 2807 front (ebikes.ca), 48V 15AH V2.5 LiFePO4 or 20ah (pingbattery.com or any recommendations). So what does everyone think.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks icecube57,

I would use double torque arms on any bike I plan to build. I am new to all this and trying to figure it all out. I am not looking to spend LOADS of money considering this will be my first and I am mostly going to be using it for therapy on my knee, along with everyday enjoyment of getting out again. Also loose some weight lol. There is a lot to this and getting caught up in it fast. I would like to make this into a long term hobby/recreation. What are some decent bikes to use? new, old, and older bikes. There is a ton of information on the kits themselves, which I see everyone here helps each other (why I joined the forum), but as for the bikes. I haven't seen much information on the different bikes are better to use than others. Just as long as it is steel and ALWAYS use torque arms (which I will always use 2) and protective gear. Again I appreciate the help.

Steve

To be honest with you I had a a friend that found a replacement fork similar to the one you have now... he was using a 408 at 66v with no torque arms... it destroyed the fork and rotated in the drop outs. People have run x5 motors with torque arms in similar forks but its your life on the line..

Well this is getting more complicated than I wanted. Now I feel I am waisting my time and soon to be money on this. All I wanted was something that could take me about for a few hours with light peddling and to help my knee and loose some weight, and most of just to get out and about. Well thanks everyone for what ever information you gave me but I think this is where I am getting out before I feel I wasted to much time and money. Take care and thanks.

Steve

If you must use that bike do a rear kit and with the double torque arms. You will be fine.

Well to be honest if you know nothing about this and limited income, I don't think this should be something that is for me. I was thinking of spending the 1500.00 for the kit. Now I am second guessing this project. I guess I would have to do more research on this to actually be sold on it. I mean I never used anything like this before and I am getting limited information about it. This was a new world to me and I thought it would not only be fun but great for myself. thanks though.

Look at a different bike and use a rear motor. Front motors require you to mate it to a beefy fork. Beefy forks normally are made by RST which is no longer in business but stock is still out there. Surley makes a very good steel fork called the Instigator that Ive used personally at up to 100v with torque arms. Dogman on the forum have used the cheap pinch tube wally world suspension fork that comes on most cheap bikes. But the #1 rule is get a torque arm and make sure it fits. Amped Bikes has a nice torque arm that I personally use on my x5 motor which has tons of torque. Best feature is that its can virtually install at any angle. Avoid the motor with disc brakes if you arent technically inclined. Ping 15ah or 20AH battery is highly suggested. Amped bikes and Ebike kit and ebikes.ca sell nice motor kits. You can typically get a kit between 3-400 shipped. Also talk to cell \man on the forum. He has light geared motor kits that have alot of torque. With 1500 bucks you can have a pretty nice solid system. But im not sold on the bike that you are suggesting.

What bikes would you recommend or should I just change the fork on the bike to surley or any bike for that matter. I guess this is my main frustration is the bike itself. I mean between the kit and batteries you are already looking at 1000.00 plus. So do I need a 1000.00 plus bike as well... if so that is just dumb for someone who knows nothing and willing to give it a shot. I can see spending the money on a kit because of obvious reasons, but now it almost seems like I need a top of the line bike too... if this is the case I am almost better off welding some steel pipes together and throw some wheels on it.

Ask oatnet on the forum about the Tidal Force frames that are sold on this forum. For a nominal investment you could have a comfortable seriously nice bike that is a solid platform for ebikes because the frame was designed for an ebike. Look up the Tidal Force S-750 frame and see if it tickles your fancy. Its very light and its holding my fat 5'10 320lbs ass just fine. This is my bike below that came from oatnet. You have to add a few parts it wont be picture as below but you get all the major stuff. He even has some complete bikes for sell I think.

Attachments

• IMAG0028%20%28Small%29.jpg
    IMAG0028%20%28Small%29.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 954
It is a new experience, but not a bad one, I wouldn't be afraid to try what you are suggesting, with double torque arms and a 20AH 48V ping should be just fine.

Rear motors are going to be mounted in a stronger place than any front, but there are many here who use front hub motors with no issues.

You could always try an Amped Bikes kit with it's Lithium Cobalt battery (it's a Lithium Polymer type battery) and that comes with a charger, not much is as plug and play, and even though it's 36V, since it's LiPo, it's going to have more power because of it's increased "C" rate, or ability to dump amps faster and at a greater rate than a typical LiFeP04 (which ping and A123 make) and if not abused, will last a good long time too.

You can also get kits from Ebikes.ca, Ebikekit, that come with different battery options, I strongly suggest you avoid any form of SLA (Sealed Lead Acid, think car battery) because they don't last and take longer to charge than the lithium battery types.

Good luck, and post pics! 8)

I think you would be fine with a Crystalyte 406 front hub motor, with the fender eyelet torque arms from ebikes.ca. Not sure where to get a 406, but I have a front 406 on a very similar CCM cruiser bike, with relatively delicate looking forks, and it is fine. You'll get good speed out of it, but not a lot of grunt off the line. Nice and quiet too.

Instead of the DB I saw this on CL, but I was referred to a Trek 820 but what about 3700. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2007/archive/3700#
I know I have to add 2 torque arms. Would the fork that is on it be ok?
http://images.craigslist.org/3ne3m13p75V15P45S2a9r8a20983c30c71cc3.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3n33kd3l25Y35Q25S5a9rabee5bfa95c214c3.jpg
or should I just go with a rear wheel conversion with this?
I really want to try this. Thanks

Or you can pick this one up http://www.norco.com/archives/2010/?id=scorcher (an extra pound) that is steel and unbreakable - just replace the seat - runs on sale (now) for about 220 dollars. The SR Suntour forks are strong so you have the choice of front or back - an e-bikekit 9c slides right in no problems - might want to look into puncture proof tubes too.

Thanks,
Now going with a rear motor, what suggestions?
I will probably go with the 48V 20AH V2.5 LiFePO4 Battery Pack and upgrade the charger to 5A and also upgrade to high rate BMS. or would I be ok with stock?
Basically I am looking for advice on a good set up with this, but don't want to go over my $1300.00 budget on the electric set up. That will include the battery so I guess my budget is really 600.00 - 700.00 USD. I know there are a lot of opinions out there, but I like a lot of options as well.

Thanks again

Back