X5 Lubrication points

disndat said:
Hey guys just wondering if there are any places on the X5 motors you should keep lubed(grease,WD40 etc..)?Any places you should not lube.Just curious.And please no jokes :p

Depends on what you're planning to do with the lubed motor. :lol: Sorry, call me flawed, I couldn't help it.

Never heard of these requiring lube or other maintenance. Should the bearings ever be repacked, I wonder?

Well after replacing the blown tube on the rear tire I pumped up the psi to 70 on both the front and rear tires(maxis hookworms).Sprayed some WD40 in where the axels come out of the motor and charged up the batteries(24v 12ah nimh x2).The weird thing is now the cycleanalyst says that they are 56volts(usually they are 54volts).So I go for a ride and at the end of my ride they are usually at 44 or 45volts but they are at 51volts now.So I go for another ride and I basically go for another 20 kms.I get home and I still have some juice left.So I was just curious why I am now getting more range.

disndat said:
Well after replacing the blown tube on the rear tire I pumped up the psi to 70 on both the front and rear tires(maxis hookworms).Sprayed some WD40 in where the axels come out of the motor and charged up the batteries(24v 12ah nimh x2).The weird thing is now the cycleanalyst says that they are 56volts(usually they are 54volts).So I go for a ride and at the end of my ride they are usually at 44 or 45volts but they are at 51volts now.So I go for another ride and I basically go for another 20 kms.I get home and I still have some juice left.So I was just curious why I am now getting more range.

A couple possibilities:

-NiMH packs are known to show widely varying capacities, even from day to day. A pack of 40 should be 56 volts at full charge. For some reason, perhaps your packs weren't charging fully before.

-Pumping up the tires lowered the rolling resistance.

The only thing on a X5 motor that's lubed are the bearings, and they're sealed. Eventually they'll crap out and need replacement, but I don't think trying to lube them will do any good.

I'd guess your increase in range is largely due to higher tire pressure. I know the tire pressure on my Vego makes a huge difference. I run around 60 psi, but the tires are only rated for 35 psi. Haven't popped one yet.

call me crazy but when commuting i usually pump to the max of the tyre (usually 100psi) over time it deflates to 75psi before pumping back up again. I just find that the rolling resistance is much less at the higher psi.

the flip side is that braking is more difficult with maxed out tire pressure and less tire area toutching the ground.

Back