Xyster's X5

22) So I moved that little box down below the controller and, since the bigger box was built for it already, I ordered another of the same back rack.

23) Back in business!

Attachments

• 19-20.jpg
    19-20.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 6,888
24) Ah, bike handles much better now! But I'm still missing some volts. So I bought another 30 batteries, for 300 in total, installing them 2s15p in a box affixed to the only place left on the bike I could find :)

25) She's done (for now), and it only took 25 easy steps :lol:

Later: 60 amp controller mod and a string of 20-s emoli's to go in parallel to provide the extra 25 amps power, along with some sort of charge/discharge switching mechanism since that parallel string will be only 3 ah. I just don't know where I can put 'em!

Thank you to everyone here who helped make this e-journey possible! :)

{This Process Pictorial began on the bottom of the previous page}

Attachments

• 21-22-23.jpg
    21-22-23.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 7,000
I admire the form follows function sensibility of your ride.

If I had your bike, I would be tempted to remove the chargers from their housings, place them in a common fan cooled box, and connect it to your bike with a multi-pin military connector. I also wonder if any of the charger wires could share a common ground.

P.S. speaking of the military, they have excellent surplus waterproof ammo-box containers, some of which are aluminum.

I admire the form follows function sensibility of your ride.

Very generously phrased. :D She's certainly no looker like your scooter, but this is my first ebike and the original plan of having all the batteries on the back rack didn't pan out. I'm very pleased with the performance and reliability however.

If I had your bike, I would be tempted to remove the chargers from their housings, place them in a common fan cooled box, and connect it to your bike with a multi-pin military connector. I also wonder if any of the charger wires could share a common ground.
I've thought about doing that too. There's no good space left that's big enough to fit a box with all 20 chargers, and even if there was, it'd be a major PITA to run 40, 18 gauge charging wires to that box without the wires hanging out and the bike looking more like a bomb than a bike.

P.S. speaking of the military, they have excellent surplus waterproof ammo-box containers, some of which are aluminum.
Thank you for that, I shall keep it in mind.

I just noticed the broken rack. I've used that kind of rack myself for hauling more than they were rated for, but if I broke one, I would keep an eye on the seatpost too. If the seatpost is steel, it will probably bend warning you before it breaks, if it's aluminum, perhaps not.

You might be able to triangulate the rack, bringing the weight down to a point below where the shock attaches, if you can find a way to get some bars around the shock.

I know, it's just more work, and it's easier to sit here and type than do it. I notice that I have two aluminum bars, and hardware for doing that exact mod, it was all sitting in my garage undone.

Broken seatposts can feel underappreciated all they want, but I don't want one.

xyster said:
Very generously phrased. :D She's certainly no looker like your scooter, but this is my first ebike and the original plan of having all the batteries on the back rack didn't pan out. I'm very pleased with the performance and reliability however.

I wasn't being patronizing or generous. Ascetically, the mud caking probability doesn't add much to you ebike, but I am sure your ride has it where it count--speed.

[My scooter, also was a form follows function deal was well, and it desperately needed a cover over my "work."]

The multi-channel charger thing is a challenge. I thought the chargers boards could perhaps be put into an old fan-cooled computer server case. They do make single connectors that could carry that power to the batteries, but isn't not going to be cheap. unless its a take-out part. Something like this, perhaps:
http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/electronic/robert/robert3.html\

Your ride is higher up on the tech-tree than my scooter was; they don't call it bleeding edge for nothing.

I just went through all four pages of this thread and am amazed at all the work on your ride and have one word to sum it up Xyster....

....WOW....

Yes it's been a lot of work, but well worth it. Most hours were spent redoing poorly designed elements like the first battery pack that didn't have sufficient current capability.

Thanks for the info and link, BrendaEM. I really don't have much reason to put the chargers onboard. Charging rate is ~0.05C (1.5amps/hour) so it takes over 20 hours to recharge fully -- a lot longer than I'm willing to wait at an available public outlet! And if I'm going somewhere for a few days, it's easy enough to pack the chargers along.
I usually run the batteries down halfway, to ~ 3.84 v per parallel subpack, then recharge for about 12 hours once or twice per week (I ride most every day).

BrendaEM said:
I wasn't being patronizing or generous. Ascetically, the mud caking probability doesn't add much to you ebike, but I am sure your ride has it where it count--speed.

It's OK to make fun of how Xyster's bike looks. :D Since everthing works perfectly, we don't have much else to pick on.

What is de model and size of that back tire Xter?

de model is de Maxxis Hookworm
http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicycle/product_detail.asp?id=160
24" x 2.5"

Stuffed inside it is a super-thick Salsa DH tube, and a panaracer kevlar belt.

Just got me one, de 26''

All right! Post some pics or a review when you can :)

Pics of my new pack arrangement.

Attachments

• IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2391.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 5,402
nooooooo!!!!!, don't do it Xyster :lol:
leave the tape alone, bike looks much tidier :) nice work.

cheers,

D

You guys just think you know me soooo well....

you do :)

I'm setting aside outward displays of duct tape addiction for the sake of more Endless-Sphere accepted aesthetics. But I still reserve the right to apply duct tape to my heart's content on my own time and inside the privacy of my battery boxes. :)

Nice evolution with the bike Xyster. I like this setup and think it looks much better.
Have you noticed any difference with braking since your main battery pack is up higher and in a more forward position with only a front disc brake.

Bravo! Nice Work!

Eric

You're definitely on the right track with moving weight forward. It's funny that you would make an "issue" about my new project bikes weight when you're running a 25 lb hub motor on the back. :shock: Your hub motor weighs about the same as my whole frame and fork combined. So I guess it's more about how you use the weight that you have. Having a big motor has advantages in that you can produce more power more easily, but it comes with a heavy weight disadvantage.

I'm thinking in the "perfect world" that one day someone will build a carbon fiber electric bike frame and and use a brushless motor that weighs 5 lbs (like Fechter) that produces obscene amounts of power (and probably air cooling) and package the whole thing inside a set of fairings and simply blow everyone's mind with the potential. (that Aprilia bike could be the ticket if they would built it for an American motor size... 750 watt... rather than the lame 250 watts that they use in Europe)

On the Tour De France today they reported the average speed coming into the end of the race as being around 35-40 mph. So that's pretty much what we are competing against. The electric bike should give roughly the same or better performance to an ordinary person that an expert professional cyclist can achieve. Those racers go fast... and they ride for something like 100 miles on some sections and climb 10,000 feet all in a day. That's a tough goal to achieve... (for all our designs)

Eric G said:
Nice evolution with the bike Xyster. I like this setup and think it looks much better.
Have you noticed any difference with braking since your main battery pack is up higher and in a more forward position with only a front disc brake.

Bravo! Nice Work!

Eric

Thanks, Eric. I have both a front disk and a front rim brake. I haven't noticed any difference with braking, but the bike certainly handles differently. I'm still getting used to the handling. It seems to track the turns much better, which is good, but with the higher COG the bike is also a bit more tipsy, which is not good. When moving the bike by hand, I can now pick up the whole bike by grabbing the tube just in front of the seat. So maneuvering it while dismounted is much easier than before.

xyster said:
It seems to track the turns much better, which is good, but with the higher COG the bike is also a bit more tipsy, which is not good.

At slow speeds things will seem worse (0-10 mph) but at higher speeds things will seem better. (10-60 mph)

safe said:
You're definitely on the right track with moving weight forward.

Yes, the total weight is very evenly balanced now.

It's funny that you would make an "issue" about my new project bikes weight when you're running a 25 lb hub motor on the back. :shock:

Sensitive, sensitive :) ...I didn't make an issue about your new bike's weight, I just asked how much it was going to weigh since the tubes *look* very hefty but I can't reach through the screen to pick one up.

Your hub motor weighs about the same as my whole frame and fork combined. So I guess it's more about how you use the weight that you have. Having a big motor has advantages in that you can produce more power more easily, but it comes with a heavy weight disadvantage.

True...always trade-offs...
I'm thinking in the "perfect world" that one day someone will build a carbon fiber electric bike frame and and use a brushless motor that weighs 5 lbs (like Fechter)

Wow, I had no idea Fechter weighs only 5 lbs! That's terribly anorexic. He should see a doctor. :D
I'd prefer this motor to weigh less, obviously. I'm interested to hear more about the 12lb Crystalyte Canon. The smaller brushless motors like Fechter's BMC are great in and of themselves, but I appreciate the space-saving approach of a hubmotor. There's a ton of room in a bicycle hub and not much room on the frame.

On the Tour De France today they reported the average speed coming into the end of the race as being around 35-40 mph. So that's pretty much what we are competing against. The electric bike should give roughly the same or better performance to an ordinary person that an expert professional cyclist can achieve. Those racers go fast... and they ride for something like 100 miles on some sections and climb 10,000 feet all in a day. That's a tough goal to achieve... (for all our designs)

I watch bike racing occasionally. Maintaining 600 watts for hours, those athletes are amazing. But that's not nearly enough power to pedal up steep hills at the speeds of some of our bikes. At 2,500 watts, I'm carrying around the equivalent power of four Lance Armstrong's. Of course without gearing, that advantage is cut down to maybe two Lance's -- still pretty good!

Hey Xyster, I was wondering if you put your batteries in a cage on the forks, like up front, i wonder how that would handle. Would that create dampening? Also up there, you could reshape it a bit, to provide a better entry into the wind. like cover it with a fairing? Just wondering , not suggesting Perhaps all that wieght up there would create too much stress on the frame/ forks.

newbie electric rider said:
Hey Xyster, I was wondering if you put your batteries in a cage on the forks, like up front, i wonder how that would handle. Would that create dampening?

Below the suspension or above it? I'd like to keep the batteries sprung. The main problem I have with the suspension is the short, soft tail bottoming-out too easily. It's helpful for small bumps, but if I had it to do over, I'd probably opt for a bike with full rear suspension.

Also up there, you could reshape it a bit, to provide a better entry into the wind. like cover it with a fairing?

The front box where it is actually seems to provide some noticeable aero advantage. I've thought about adding a fairing too...still thinking about it.
Just wondering , not suggesting Perhaps all that wieght up there would create too much stress on the frame/ forks.

Yah, there's already a fair bit of transverse play in the front forks. I'm concerned adding more weight could make it worse.

Back