Yet another noob

Come on. Someones has to be able to help me out.

I went to my local bike co-op, pulled my crank off, installed the PAS sensor and tried to install the magnet ring. Every time I put the crank back on I could barely move the crank. Im guessing this is where the washer comes in but besides mentioning needing a washer know one really shows what washer and where it is supposed to go. I tried a metal washer they had in the shop but still got the same result. The magnet ring stays still while I attempt to turn the crank. Its sandwiched in there and I can not figure out how to get it to work right. I really would like to use it sometime so hopefully someone can help.

If you can post some good pics of the problem I might have suggestions. I have some other stuff to answer in your other posts, but have to head off for work, so can't finish and post them until tonight or tomorrow.

I've never heard of anybody needing a washer on a pedal sensor. Where did you get that from?

Turn your bike upside down and take a photo of the bottom bracket area, one from directly from above and one at an angle on each side so that we can see what you have.

The easiest way to get single speed is to put your bike in the gear you want, then don't touch the changer again. It doesn't make sense to change to a single speed after you already installed multiple gears. If you really want, you can use the two adjuster screws in your derailleur to hold it in a fixed position, then you can chuck the cable and the changer.

Your controller looks like a Kunteng. Instructions attached.

Attachments

• S-LCD3-User-Manual.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
I realized that some bikes are flat on the spindle side and some have a portion that sticks out. There is not enough room for the magnet ring between the BB and crank.(I'll try to get a pic so someone with the same issue in the future can have a clear description). In order to use the pas I need to change cut out the middle and glue to crank or get a wider BB that leaves enough room for the pas.

New question.

Could I use this to bulk charge? It has same specs as meanwell. I have not been able to find a decent meanwell anywhere for under 120. I'm using 12s lip 16ah.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/48V-DC-7-3A-350W-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-Top-Quality-/161531671018?nav=SEARCH

12s only needs 50.4V to fully charge. That supply can go as high as 52V, so it should work fine adjusted to ~50V.

Ok. I haven't been able to find how to mod one. I keep reading about mods needed to use them correctly but haven't been able to find a thread spelling them out.

There are a number of meanwell threads, for various models and brands, but the info only applies to the one(s) posted about.

I highly recommend looking at one of the threads, and then getting the same version of the same model of the same brand that was used in that thread, preferably from the same vendor, so you have the best chance of being able to use the instructions in that thread to mod yours.

Meanwell used to just mean a single brand "MeanWell", but now there are many clones, and even in the original brand there are many models and many revisions of each model, which may have completely different layouts and component designations, and so the mod instructions for one may not apply at all to the next one, other than in a basic way.

There are also some that work in "hiccup" mode and dont' make good chargers, and some that work in current-limiting mode that do. You might not know which one the model you get uses until you get it and try it, even if it has a model number on it that is listed here on ES as working as a charger, becuase it might be a clone or different revision (or both) of the one you "think" it is. :(

There is also a thread by Fechter about his current-limiting circuit meant for this type of PSU-to-charger conversion, which discusses some of them.

If you aren't very experienced in electronics modification, you may be better off getting a charger that is meant to be a charger. Some are at least minimally adjustable, documented here on ES, some are not (or aren't well-documented).

Some are designed to be adjustable via menus like RC chargers are, like the Grin Tech Cycle Satiator at http://ebikes.ca (though it isn't cheap, it sure does a nice job, and unlike almost any other "ebike charger" or most of the "meanwell" types, it's not only water-resistant, it's designed to be mountable on the bike itself, and vibration-resistant).

Ellou said:
What issue are people having with the pedal assist sensor?
Without a pic of the issue you're having there, I don't know exactly what you're going to need to do. But there are a cuple possibilities.

Some BB's and cranks have more space on one side than the other, so you mgiht be able to put the sensor and magnet ring on the other side from where you have it now. I think I had to do that with my "1000w" Fusin kit on the first bike frame I tested it on.

But...I gotta say that if the PAS of your kit works anything like the Fusin one, you're better off not even using it at all, and just use the throttle. The Fusin one wasn't safe to use in traffic, primarily because the delay before it would kick in or shut off was so long that any sudden change in traffic conditions could happen faster than the engage or cutoff could happen. I would have had to hold the mechanical brakes against the motor power in some cases if it werent' for the ebrake cutoff, (and even that took too much time to react, but not as much as the PAS cutoff!).

I have not yet fixed my Cycle Analyst (CA) v3 so I can use it with the THUN BB sensor, but if I ever get that done, it would make a much better PAS than what the Fusin had, or that of most of the PAS controllers people have reported about on ES and/or had issues with.

How would I make the bike single speed?
I answered that for someone in another thread the day before yesterday:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=72646&p=1097126#p1097126

How can I tell what controller I have. They all look the same and the one I recieved seems bigger then others.
If you open it up it'll have markings on it you can search ES for to see if someone's talked about it before. But there are at least thousands, if not tens of thousands or more, of different models out there, so there's no guarantee anyone has ever seen yours before. ;)

I would like to be able to change some settings after I get bored with the stock config. Im fine with flashing new firmwares using ftdi and atmel connectors. I want to also be able to use regen and maybe increase volts and hopefully not have to buy a new controller. Not right away anyway. :D
I know of no generic controllers that could be flashed with new firmware, because no firmware is avaialble for any of them.

Some of them do let you change some of the settings in them, using their proprietary software (or in some cases the generic versions, or things like Anpaza's XPD here on ES).

You could try using whatever software you find on ES or the web to try changing settings on yours, but you can brick it if it responds and takes the settings but they dont' apply to it. :( (unfortunately very very few controllers let you read anything from them, so you can't tell what the settings were before you chagned them). Most won't even respond/take the settings if the software wasnt' meant for them and/or they're not programmable, so it could be safe enough to try--no guarantees, though.

Regarding ebrake levers, there's no need to use them. You can take the switches out of them and mount them somewhere on your existing levers, with some bits of plastic or metal to hold them or engage them, etc., or somewhere on the brake arms with a bit of DIY, or else you can buy the HWBS hidden wire brake sensor that installs on your brake cables in place of a few inches of the cable housing, or do one of the other varied DIY ebrake sensors here on ES or elsewhere.

Or you can go without, if you don't need regen braking and have mechanical brakes good enough to lockup the motor wheel even while also going at your top speed. ;)

Go to a local ebike shop and test a pas bike try it at a stop sign and adjust the pedals at 2' o clock. The bike will turn on and lurch forword out of control. Ditch the pas. Ride like Steve McQueen.
So how does it ride have gotten it on the road ?

Thanks. I have given up on the pas.

Yes I have had it on the road. Went for my first 11.5 mile ride the other day. Was trying to see my actual max distance. Still had 3.93 in the battery after. Mostly between full throttle 30mph and 20.The battery meter on the bike doesn't work that great though. It starts full but drops to a quarter pretty fast then stays there. I'm guessing voltage sag.

I had to cut my trip short because the sky opened up on me. A 10 min arizona downpour. couldn't find anywhere to hide so just full speed home. Happy to say phone and e bike still have there magic smoke intact.

I'm also looking for a new donor bike. The v2100 is nice but hard to fit batteries on. Also it's not ideal for a person 6ft. Possibly looking into a used trek or mongoose seek'r

There's also an article here:
http://sheldonbrown.com/deakins/how-to-fixed-conversion.html
for singlespeed (fixie) conversion.

Thanks again Amberwolf. I read that a couple times.lol

So I think Ive found the donor bike for me. A 99 rockhopper in good condition that I picked up on CG for $50. Needs a little tlc but besides new grips and some work on the rear shifter(not using it anyway) it works perfect. Now I need some advice on building it. SInce I have a working ebike for the moment I can take a little time and do it how I want. I like building and this bike still uses parts that are readily available. The biggest issue I am having is single speed on a hub motor.

I read sheldon browns blog and understand the basics but Im not sure what rear "sprocket?" to get. Do they come in different sizes? I meant the thread not the tooth.

Do I really need a special tool from ebike.ca to remove the current freewheel? Ive seen people do it on youtube with a screw driver. I dont mind diy options but I dont want to ruin my motor.

How to get chain line right? It doesnt seem with a freewheel ,I believe thats what I have, you can space the rear gear to make sure your chainline is correct.

I have done some searching but I havent found enough details to answer these questions. I just find the "put single speed sprocket on" and continues with build.

FYI:

This is what I have. Not mine but looks exactly like it.
rockhopper.jpg

This is what I want to end up with (sort of) His is a 97 hardrock
wannabe.jpg

This is the stuff I know I need.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Tooth-Single-Freewheel-32-Inch/dp/B0011YEAZ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442638103&sr=8-2&keywords=single+speed+freewheel+cog

http://www.amazon.com/Origin8-BMX-Singlespeed-Fixie-Chainring/dp/B000BMT2LU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442638450&sr=8-2&keywords=single+speed+chainring

http://www.amazon.com/Eclypse-Single-Bicycle-Chain-Tensioner/dp/B00P26H86G/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1442638497&sr=1-1&keywords=single+speed+chain+tensioner

http://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Snaplock-Bicycle-Single-Speed-Silver/dp/B0013FBE8I/ref=pd_sim_468_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=04SGFX954VFVSPYR41Y7&dpID=31aKFw19i-L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

and

http://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Single-Ring-Chainring-Bolts/dp/B00RNFR68O/ref=pd_sim_468_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=04TXSPM160QS3STR1ZMA

Please let me know if Im missing anything or if this stuff wont work together.

Back