Yuneec E-Go Cruiser Range Problems (8-10 Miles or Less)

Hey I bought the E-go Cruiser by Yuneec a couple of days ago and after riding it for awhile I've noticed that it doesn't go very far. According to the distance tracking app on my phone, I can only go about 8-8.5 miles before the board kicks into low power mode. After that I can go for maybe another mile or two but I feel very disappointed with the range I am getting. Where is my 18 miles!? After hours of researching the only thing i could find was a developer saying that it could take up to three full charges for the battery to reach its full potential, so I'm just hoping that the performance of my battery will improve the more that I use it. :|
Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong? Or has Yuneec failed to mention going up a single hill will take like 10% or more of your battery?
I saw the commute from Brooklyn to NYC video but that's only 5.5 miles and there are no videos showing the board actually going 18 miles.
There are quite a few hills that are 10-30% grade on my commute but should they really effect my range so drastically?
Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

SpiritElectrics said:
Hey I bought the E-go Cruiser by Yuneec a couple of days ago and after riding it for awhile I've noticed that it doesn't go very far. According to the distance tracking app on my phone, I can only go about 8-8.5 miles before the board kicks into low power mode. After that I can go for maybe another mile or two but I feel very disappointed with the range I am getting. Where is my 18 miles!? After hours of researching the only thing i could find was a developer saying that it could take up to three full charges for the battery to reach its full potential, so I'm just hoping that the performance of my battery will improve the more that I use it. :|
Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong? Or has Yuneec failed to mention going up a single hill will take like 10% or more of your battery?
I saw the commute from Brooklyn to NYC video but that's only 5.5 miles and there are no videos showing the board actually going 18 miles.
There are quite a few hills that are 10-30% grade on my commute but should they really effect my range so drastically?
Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Yes.

Battery range is hugely variable. I don't know how they worded it, but I -highly- doubt they said something like 'minimum 18 mile range', perhaps that is more of a maximum or ideal. Variables even down to your weight, height, speed and the wind(and plenty more) can influence power consumption and maximum range.

I've had my E-go for a few months and yes, range can vary considerably based on riding conditions. I find the battery drains fastest when used often on steep hills, and when there is a strong headwind. While I haven't done 18 miles straight on my board yet, I have ridden it for more than 90 minutes across flat terrain and probably had about 35% of my battery left. The claim from Yuneec is likely valid in warm temps, a smooth, flat surface, Eco mode (instead of Sport mode) and probably a lighter-weight rider. On their website Yuneec says the board should be used on an inclination up to 10%, so a 30% incline is considerably steeper than what the company recommends. So based on my experience, yes, the range could be affected considerably by the factors you mention.

Hello profspicy,
Yes the board is affected by user weight, wind, and terrain. The test we have performed on the board were conducted using an average rider weight of 140 lbs., flat paved surface, and light breeze conditions. The board was also set to ECO and turtle mode. This produced the average 18 mile range. However I am around 240 lbs and I only ride in sport and rabbit mode and I can at least get 10-12 miles out of my board. If you feel like your board is not performing correctly we are here for our customers and would be happy to do a full diagnosis on your board to ensure you are getting what you paid for.

Ryan Kephart
E-Go | Tech Support

Back