Wheelchair Suggestions Solicited

Nehmo

10 kW
IMG_20140526_182934.jpg

It's in parts because I couldn't carry it with a car in one piece. I haven't tested it yet, but I understand it's supposed to be functional. It's a Quantum Wheelchair; I'm not clear on what variety yet. (Supposedly, the new insurance-paid value for this version is 20K$ USD.)
It uses 2 12V VRLA batteries, but I'll change that. They are dead anyway.
It's built structurally very solidly.
I'm not sure what I'll do with it, but ideally I'd transform it into a decent transportation system. I can't report much yet because I haven't yet had time to play with it. I'm a bit worried the motors are geared down to something low.
It's mine. I got it from somebody who won't be needing it anymore. I suspect there are plenty of these, originally paid for by insurance, that are no longer needed.

I can't clearly see in the pic, but if those are brushed motors with gearboxes (the axles for wheels come out of hte gearboxes if so) then they are geared down a lot, for high torque but low speed. See my original CrazyBike2 drivetrain at the beginning of that thread, and my old http://electricle.blogspot.com posts about them, for details and info on the basics of these types, and the controllers I've used with them. Packrat Workshop also has at least one trike based on them.

It's also possible they are gearless brushless hub motors. I have one of that type, too; there is a thread about it in the motor subforum somewhere with some details about it's innards and testing and whatnot, including adding hall sensors to use it with an ebike controller.

I have what's left of a powerchair of a differnet type, and will be using that for the drive of a powered heavy cargo trailer, eventually, most likely.

I have what amounts to an identical one to your picture, using geared brushed motors, which still works and I am leaving intact (other than an eventual battery upgrade cuz the SLA it has are probably toast by now), so I can use it as an actual powerchair when I get to the point I can't get around without one (which is hopefully a long way off, but ya never know, the way things are going so far).

I'm at the early stages of analyzing my find.

It's a Quantum Q6 Edge power base, which is the most robust in the line. The main wheel axles come directly out of the gear boxes. The casters are sprung and shocked. Turning is accomplished by varying the speed/direction of the motors. The motors have 3 wires labeled 350W continuous 1000W maximum. The spec sheet says 6 mph (9.66 km/h), 4 pole motors.
basicWChair.PNG

This pic has a different top part. The chair on mine has more movable parts.
While at Walmart, I happened to encounter an old guy with one of these (a somewhat lesser model) attached to a lift on the back of his car. Insurance paid for his: $9,000 USD, and the lift, a simple one, was $3500 USD. I asked if the chair could negotiate a 3 inch curb. "Oh yes, easily."

The design philosophy runs counter to that of e-bikes in that weight is looked upon as a virtue as it means strength. Everything is heavy. Without batteries, the base is 138 lbs. (62 kg). Also, the cost factor is opposite to that of e-bikes. Economy is what most e-bike people are after. With this, it seems everything is ridiculously expensive. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned since many of the same skills are involved. For example, it's probably more lucrative to become a wheelchair mechanic than an e-bike one. And there must be a demand for that.
I haven't found much documentation yet. This also is surprising. If I had made something this complicated, I would have loaded the web about it.
It would make a good robot base, small rocket launcher base, remote control drone launcher, or perhaps it would work as a wheelchair.
IMG_20140526_183043.jpg

Them are some sweet motors! I believe they have encoders in them.

if you don't come up with an application for them I'd be interested.

Tommy

Probably no encoders in those particular motors, if they're like the various invacare ones I have around here, which are just simple brushed PM motors, with an electromechanical brake on one end, that when the unit is not powered on is engaged, locking hte motor shaft in place preventing any movement.

Being 4-pole, they are slower but wiht higher torque than the 2-pole type of hte same thing.

As I understand it, weight on the base is necessary as it is a ballast to help ensure that on slopes the chair doesn't tip over with up to 300-600lbs (depending on model) of person sitting on it, or on a flat surface with that same person leaning very far out over the side to reach something.

You should mount a Lazyboy recliner on top of that and have the world's best chair.

"Tired of walking all the way to the fridge for a beer? Is the bathroom just too may steps away? Is your wife nagging you to mow the lawn, but you just don't want to get up? Well now there's the LazyScoot! You may never have to walk again! (Catheter sold separately)"

You'll make millions selling them to drunk rednecks.

Back