Magic pie 3

cwah

100 MW
I've seen a site selling magic pie 3:
http://www.devi-motion.com/DE000650.html

Any idea about the motor max speed and efficiency?

Internal controller seem to accept only up to 60V. If it's used on small wheel, the voltage would need to be much higher to have acceptable speed.

This oe has integrated cooling, that alone is enough to make it very interesting. The large diameter of the pie is also a plus for performance. I guess it must be available for external controller. The mod shouldn't be too complicated anyway.

I ordered one and i should get one today.
I hope i'm able to test it in about a week with a 72v 16ah setup.

cwah said:
I'm looking forward to hearing from you about this motor. Speed, efficiency, weight, etc :lol:

When i told Gary at Golden Motor Canada that i was going to use a magic pie motor to get up pike's peak, i asked him if the III had any better performance and he said no.

Of course, a proper test would still be welcomed. Not too hard to convert an internal controller model to an external, but the price of doing so kinda sucks.

cwah said:
It's advertised 30% more torque. Isn't that somewhat more efficient? Or did they just reduce the speed to increase the torque?
It is also advertised as a 1500W motor.
Integrated cooling makes it possible to feed more current, likely 30% more power.

I hope it's not just flashy marketing and that 30% more torque is not because the motor is not able to work at 1500W...

Hmm... 83% max efficiency... Crystalyte is higher isn't it?

Don't worry, this motor can take much more than 1500 W :D
Efficiency is more about how you ride and how much power you feed, the difference of peak efficiency between DD hub motors is not so important.

Damn... I just mounted my new mp3 in my frame and hooked it up for a test spin.
There is just no way i could stop the wheel from spinning with my bare hands :shock:
And that was only with just one 36v /16ah pack. (planning on getting 2 in series)
Compared to my old giant twist sanyo 250watt motor this thing is from another planet!
LOADS of torque! Not sure how that would compromise battery life but thats not such a big deal. 8)
Cant wait to test it out in the open.

Try it on 72 volts / 56a on an external controller if you really want to soil your pants in terror/fear/excitement :)

Enjoy your poor man's Crystalyte! This thing is definitely a sleeper.

I'm not sure why but 72v on my magic pie 3 was too much apparently..
I hope its just the resistor that has burned out.
Now i just need to find a replacement resistor but the colors are gone so anyone got an idea what kind of resistor i need?

ouch - I assume nepro meant not on the standard controller that comes integrated into the pie.
To run that kind of voltage one would need a controller to handle that voltage. hopefully it is a easy fix GL

its rated for 60v so i thoughtthe 12v extra wouldnt be a big deal but i think it had more to do with the amps the 2 36v packs deliver.

So can i just put any bldc controller on those 3 wires? With a high enough rating ofcourse.\

And how are my chances on fixing it by replacing the resistor for one that looks like it?

I just looked at goldenmotor.ca. According to it, the MP3 is still not available.

Anyone knows of a seller/distributor for the USA or Canada?

Anyone knows what the highest voltage supported by the stock internal controller? Will it work with 14, 15 or 16s LiPo?

Ok just found out its 10 ohm resistor so i guess any resistor of 10 ohm will do?

And i got the stock internal controller and again it is rated for 60v 35amps but definitely not 72v 8)

Enpro said:
I'm not sure why but 72v on my magic pie 3 was too much apparently..
I hope its just the resistor that has burned out.
Now i just need to find a replacement resistor but the colors are gone so anyone got an idea what kind of resistor i need?

Your most likely has 60 or 63v caps and FETs, so that is your upper, fully charged voltage limit. ( that's why they say 48v is the max.. some lifepo4 batteries will charge up to the upper 50V values )

( the capacitors will be marked as to their high voltage, and the numbers on the FETs, aka 3xxx, 4xxx etc can be looked up online to find what their max rating is.. )

I hope you didn't blow your controller per my suggestion, i did mention that it should be done with an external controller O_O.
But hey, now is your chance to put some real power into it if so... ;) ;)

Enpro said:
The caps are rated for 63v indeed.
Already on my wish list http://www.devi-motion.com/webshop/...l;jsessionid=14877F38D79E28133A9C17C50EA2CB34 but if i solder some higher voltage caps in my fried one with a new resistor would it take on 72v?

Why would you want that controller, of dubious quality and low voltage handling, VS an infineon that is tried and true and programmable? You'd be facing the same problem with it - can't handle higher voltage..

Your controller would need new FETs installed as well to handle the extra power. In fact, i am almost sure that at 72v ( 83v fully charged with non-lifepo4, or 90+V with lifepo4 ), you've blown some FETs and maybe other components as well.

Go get yourself a 12FET capable of handling a max voltage of 100V at minimum. You will not regret it.

Back