Magic pie 3

At this time the Mp3 is internal only. If you wanted to go external with a third party controller all you would need to do is "pop" the controller off the plate. You would still need the controller as it comes attacthed to that plate and you would need that plate or have no cover on one side of the motor. If you have seen any of the pictures or videos of that side of the motor its easy to tell how quickly one could attach to the existing wires and run them out the hole in the plate to an external controller. I Imagine many people doing this. Especially the speed and power junkys that hang out as ES.

Gary

Oh and about the drawing and documents. There is only the orginal promotional add that is already posted in this thread somewhere I am sure. Golden Motor is not big on instructions or technical drawings. It is definately a shortcoming of GM. That is why I try to create helpfull videos on youtube and threads in our forum.

Gary

Gary, I've seen you're selling Magic pie for 16inch wheels. What speed would be the magic pie on such a small wheel at 48V? It may be quite slow if it's the same config as for the bigger wheels.

cwah said:
Gary, I've seen you're selling Magic pie for 16inch wheels. What speed would be the magic pie on such a small wheel at 48V? It may be quite slow if it's the same config as for the bigger wheels.

I have no personal experience running a 16 inch wheel on its own. I do have one on the trailor of my TRI-PIE, but the two motors on my bike are 26 so I dont know where the 16 tops out. It sure contributes on take off though. The torque on take off is amazing. Some say they do a different winding or different controller for the 16 inch to make it faster but I don't believe any of that. All I can say is a 26 inch goes about 42kph. Someone would have to do some math to figure out the speed of a 16 inch. My head is to foggy this morning to even attempt it.

TRI-PIE-2.jpg

But you can always get a MP2 external contoller version and use a higher voltage 3rd party controller to make it faster.

The MP2 Kits and wheel only are on sale this FEB 12th and 13th at 10 percent off. That makes a wheel only only 212.50 until the sale is over. The coupon code is MP2EXT

Gary
www.GoldenMotor.CA
MP3 to start shipping from Canada this week coming!

I'm thinking of maybe getting the Magic pie 3 on the Brompton.. A bit of an overkill but I love speed and acceleration.

This guy had a MP on his 16" wheel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzTdU6OKl2M

But I'd need an external controller for that and that may be a bit too bulky. I love the concept of internal controller because it's so neat. No way to have an internal controller at 74V for a 16" wheel? :lol:

cwah said:
But I'd need an external controller for that and that may be a bit too bulky. I love the concept of internal controller because it's so neat. No way to have an internal controller at 74V for a 16" wheel? :lol:
You need an external controller if you want to feed big amps, but higher voltage can be achieved with mod to the MP internal controller.

cwah said:
I'm thinking of maybe getting the Magic pie 3 on the Brompton.. A bit of an overkill but I love speed and acceleration.

He does look like he is having fun in that video. It also looks like he is having trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground :)

Sorry 59.9 volts max or its toast. As MadRhino stated some have modded the internal controller but most often it usually fails anyway.

People do say an external controller is too bulky. Not the ones we supply. Have a look at my tandam bike. The controller is in the pouch under the front seat. I dont find it bulky. But I guess most of the third party controllers people use are much bigger in size.

ExtMP2Build082-1.jpg

Gary

The simplist thing just dawned on me. To be able to tell if you receive a prelease version of the MP3 is obvoius. The picture below shows two pre-release mp wire harnesses I have. The one on the left is from my first MP3 version one pre-release I received in October 2011. The one on the right is from my MP3 version two pre-release I received in late December 2011. If you received a wire harness the looks like the one on the left with no numbers on it then you have one of the first pre-release test kits. As far as I know these were not meant for the consumer. If you have one like the one on the right you have the second version. They tell me the second pre-release version I received is the final version and what was to be sent out for the consumer. But who really knows for sure.

The wiring inside the harness was changed between versions so even if you forced something in the wrong hole it would not short out. If you dont have these numbers on the harness then beware. Never plug any controls into it that have the numbers printed on it. You will most likely short it out as I did when I tried to plug a new throttle with a number printed on it into a harness that did not. I got a big spark and my throttle fried. I am thankfull that the throttle and not the controller fried as I had a spare. I was building a dual drive and only using one throttle anyway.

Buyer Beware!

006-2.jpg

Gary

Golden Motor Canada said:
cwah said:

He does look like he is having fun in that video. It also looks like he is having trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground :)

Sorry 59.9 volts max or its toast. As MadRhino stated some have modded the internal controller but most often it usually fails anyway.

People do say an external controller is too bulky. Not the ones we supply. Have a look at my tandam bike. The controller is in the pouch under the front seat. I dont find it bulky. But I guess most of the third party controllers people use are much bigger in size.

Gary

If I get a MPIII+ an external controller for 74V/100V power on a 16" wheel... what would be the additional weight on the bike?

If I am only going to be using 48-50 V on a 20" wheel, why get a MP111 ?
Especially if he MP11 is the same motor and can be purchased with an external controller. ??

will the MP111 be using the same stock external controller ?

If you are looking to go external with a Magic Pie then you are better off with an MP2 external. I sell the MP2 external with no controller for 235. The MP3 only comes in an internal version at this time. It sells for 399. It comes with the internal controller for this price and you would need it because to go external you need the plate off the back of the controller. Otherwise you would have no cover on one side of the motor. The MP3 is slightly thinner allowing a 7 speed freewheel to easily fit, the MP2 only fits a 6 speed. Both can be modified to go one speed larger but then you are starting to stretch out the frame. The MP3 is quieter then the MP2 but you have to decide if that and the extra gear is worth the 164 dollar difference in price.

For external controller I would recomend the MP2 External version.

For internal controller I would recomend the MP3 all the way.

If you can add an item to your cart on the website I have it. At this moment I have almost all sizes of MP2 and MP3 in Stock!

Gary

cwah said:
If I get a MPIII+ an external controller for 74V/100V power on a 16" wheel... what would be the additional weight on the bike?

I just weighed a 26 inch MP3 and its just under 9 kg. I also weighed an internal controller seperately and its .3 kg. So a 26 inch MP3 without the controller would be slightly less then 8.7 KG. A 16 inch would probably be about the same as the rim is smaller but thicker.

Gary

what type of mosfets used in magicpie3 internal controller 20" casted ??

If anyone is interested in building MP3 setup. I have a special offer for Endless Sphere.

From now until eternity (or I can't do it any more, anything is possible) any Endless Sphere Member can get 50 dollars off a MP3 kit buy using coupon code

EndlessSphere

This coupon code can not be combined with any other coupon or any TERA member or GM dealer discounts

Gary

my problem is 20" casted rim MP3, internal controller.
I want use 16S lipo for "normal" speed, but cannot, because 4.2*16 = 67.2V - more than maximum 60V.
If i will use 14S lipo, speed will about 28kmh, too low.
Really 20" casted MP3 is ill-conceived solution about SPEED.
So I decided remove controller, and use phase wires through two power wires and join 8 mini wires as one phase.
I will use it with sensorless controller.

And second ill-conceived solution is too big motor diameter of 20" castedrim for innertube valve! There are no compatible short-valve innertubes for this motor, except A2B bikes solution, they sold me shortvalve innertube.

I have sold a lot of 20 inch pies and have heard of people having difficulty finding tires. But I have never heard of any issue with the valve location. Some don't like the angled valve hole on the 16 inch but no valve failures on those as far as I know. But no one has ever mentioned the valve hole on the 20 inch as an issue. Can you provide pictures. This is an issue I am unaware of. People complain about everything, it's there nature. Not sure how I could have missed this one. I'll have to open one up for a look.

Next time you are in Canada, drop into canadian tire.

I checked out a 20 inch Casted MP3 and looked at the valve clearance. It seems there is 3/4 of an inch from the end of the valve to the motor. I admit its not ideal but still plenty of room. I guess that's why I have not heard of this issue.

[youtube]drsCGf9mNLQ[/youtube]

Gary

i have no this tube, and have no this pump.

So why you created 20" casted so much WIDE ?
why keep wide MP for 20" ?
20" wheel have big torque as default due to small diameter,
so just 48V 20A I got tractor-power of accelerating.

Will you design any new wheels >= 20" with casted rims in future??
I love casted rim, because its need no maintenance to spokes and reliable rim, but cannot use less than 20" due to low speed.
magicpie 20" is one in all world with casted rim but with flaws :(

I don't design anything and any comments or ideas I have are ignored. GM makes what they make and that's it. Asking why they make things a certain way is hopeless as I can only guess the same as anyone else. I don't make or design their products. I distribute them and resolve issues if people have any.

It is unlikely they will make Casted wheels larger then 20 inch. The weight would get way to high.

As for the flaws, you state you are having trouble getting it going at illegal road speeds. GM designs ebike conversion kits that are intended to be used to make a street legal ebike. Is this really a flaw?

If you want to go faster you do as you and many others at ES have done. You upgrade the controller to get more speed and power.

Gary

A little more promo before I take this item offline.

Magic Pie 3 wheel only 299.00

http://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/Magic-Pie-3-Wheel-only-No-controller..html

Use coupon code

Endless-sphere.com

To save an additional 40 dollars making it 259.00

Expires Monday July 16th at midnight

Gary

Back