lee Iacocca Emonster transformation

ftanka0

100 mW
So Im considering purchasing a lee Iacocca since it claims its a cromoly frame, i was thinking of getting one to hook it up with a x5 or a cromotor with double crown suspension. What do you guys think about it? Do you know if 72v can fit in the lower part of the frame(case)? if not, i can fit some there and the rest in a handlebar battery case. Has anyone used this bike?

Attachments

• ebike.jpg
    ebike.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 3,200
I've forgotten all of what he did to it, but there is another member that built one of these up with an "Avatar" theme to the coloring.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35895

Im getting an offer of 3 of those bikes for $400 with dead batteries. Ya think its worth the investment? thinking of modding and reselling

Surely they can be resold for more, parted out if you must.

Mabye once you do your mod, do the same to the other frames. Good steel frames with added pinch dropouts and disk mounts should sell eh?

Sell em whole and working if you can of course.

I have two of the EVG's that came with the dual crown forks. The dual crown fork is a short travel, but plenty for the road. The frame layout handles 45mph easily with fat tires. The biggest tire that I can fit in the rear, is 26x2.3 with milimeters to spare. The stock chain ring that came with both of mine is 39T 110BCD. I swapped one out for 41T and 42T is the biggest you can fit, before hacking away the nice plastic cover to fit bigger chain rings. You can hide a 12fet controller inside the bike. An 18Fet will have to be mounted outside the frame if you want to use a cromotor.

Ok, im convinced. Is their a guide here of what to inspect when purchasing an ebike? Brake wear, how to inspect motor, throttle, controller, suspension, Title, ect... The guy claims the batteries are dead.

They each have three 12V Sealed-Lead-Acid (SLA) electric-wheelchair batteries in series to provide a 36V output. They are junk and I guarantee they are all so far gone from sitting discharged that they cannot be revived. At least he told you the truth about that.

YES. I just want to make sure he's not telling the truth about the rest of the electrical parts.

If you can't test them at 36v, at least confirm that the motors turn by attaching 12v to the two big wires to the motor. Later, at home, you can test with 36v when you get a battery.

Hopefully they still have the battery boxes, which includes the sla charger.

I have one of those. I gutted all the electronics and replaced the motor with a Cromotor and the controller with a Lyen 18 FET. I'm running this with two massive Ping 36v 30ah batteries in series, giving a 72v 30ah system.

I've put the controller, breaker box, and turn signal electronics in the stock battery bay. I've put a steel rack on the back and hung two hard shell side cases on it to hold the batteries.

The result - a 50mph bike that feels rock solid and goes for more than 30 miles cruising at 30 mph. Since I took off everything that made the original bike an "electric" bike, why did I choose to use this bike rather than just a regular bike frame? For a couple of reasons. First, the frame is really solid and can handle the high speeds. Second, the bike has a great enclosed cavity to house the electronics. And third, and most importantly, the frame has a VIN number on it and I have successfully gotten my bike registered as a moped. This would have been difficult or impossible without that VIN number. This is probably the number one reason that the EV Global bikes make great bikes for upgrading. I don't know of any other bikes that can be as easily registered as these.

With my batteries located in the back along with a big heavy Cromotor, you may think that the weight distribution may be poor. Well, you would be right but I rarely notice any ill affects except when I try to lift the bike. Then, it clearly feels like all the weight is in the back.

These bikes are really great and I highly recommend them as a base for upgrading.

Now i can consider myself part of the Ebike crew. I was able to bring him down to $300 for 3 but the catch is two of them had some rust on the chain and in sprocket and i dont know if any of the electronics are working. Will find out tomorrow. They seem like they've been sitting untouched for a really long time.

24S2P will fit in the battery area. See photo of the way I did it. I use a Lyen 12fet controller, three speed switch, Yescomusa 1000 watt motor with CA DP. (60 amps max)
Top speed 50-55 mph with ease on flat ground. (I live in South Florida so all we have is flat ground!). 12 volt cooling fan keeps controller cool even on 90f days. I put almost 2000 miles on this bike since I built it and not a single issue with it. The EVG is the bike to upgrade if you could find one, or three :). The body panels protect all internals from the elements and looks very clean when built this way.
I also installed an ATV multiswitch which controls head lights, tail lights, turn signals, brake lights, high beams, horn and garage door opener. Regen is enabled to assist in braking at high speed as well as front and rear disk brakes. I also attached the wiring schematic for the light system. Good luck with your build. Mine took about 100 man hours start to finish.

Sweet conversion. How much range are you getting out of it? Is that motor strong enough to hold 40-50mph constant without burning?

ftanka0 said:
Sweet conversion. How much range are you getting out of it? Is that motor strong enough to hold 40-50mph constant without burning?

I average about 35 mph on my ride to my office. I get about 25-30 mile range at the speed. At full bore I get about 12-15 miles only. In the summer months the motor gets hot but not burning hot. My commute is about 7-9 miles one way, depending on errands, I have not had an issue in 2000 miles so far.

So my best way to gamble $$$ is selling some parts to build a stronger ebike. Im going to sell motors and probably start with the yescomusa. What do you guys suggest? from an investor point of view? i know eventually, one of the bikes will be for my use with a cromotor and as much batteries i can put on it :shock: . But to sell the other two, should i just add new batteries and sell as is? or replace with new kit (about $300), new battery and repaint (do some cosmetic work) and resell?

Try to sell as is if you can. If they won't sell as complete bikes, try selling just the parts on Ebay. Eventually, you can get money for the motors, and even other parts have some demand from those who love an EVG and want to keep one running. Throttles get broke, controllers die, etc.

I wouldn't try to buy kits to put other motors on them, costing more investment.

That leaves you with frames to play with, or sell to others that want one to put a cromotor on.

ftanka0 said:
So my best way to gamble $$$ is selling some parts to build a stronger ebike. Im going to sell motors and probably start with the yescomusa. What do you guys suggest? from an investor point of view? i know eventually, one of the bikes will be for my use with a cromotor and as much batteries i can put on it :shock: . But to sell the other two, should i just add new batteries and sell as is? or replace with new kit (about $300), new battery and repaint (do some cosmetic work) and resell?

I did three of these bikes. The going rate for parts on ebay is:

Motor, wheel and tire ~ $ 125.00 + shipping
Controller ~$ 40.00 + shipping
Battery box/ charger ~ $ 60.00 + shipping
Throttle ~ $ 20.00 + shipping

You can recoup most of your money by selling off parts on ebay. The original parts are useless if you want a 40-50 mph bike.

I sold off parts as to not deal with a complete bike sold to someone who will drive me crazy when something goes wrong.

picture1framedimensions.jpgwill be putting together 16s2P with 3.2 8ah Li-ion cell (link below) for a evg global bike with a yescomusa 1000w kit. I've never put one together, can someone guide me with parts needed and where to find them (connectors,bms, etc...)? Does anyone have a detailed sheet with the order the wiring goes? battery - bms - controller?

(would like to connect it with these type of connectors but not sure if possible since one pack will be stacked on top of another pack. Has anyone put together a pack with these cells?)

http://hzliao.en.alibaba.com/product/61 ... _12Ah.html

Attached is the size of the battery compartment I'm working with. After doing research, These cells are the ones that can get me the most ah with the highest voltage before going to lipo. Can anyone prove me wrong?

Im converting an evg global with a yescomusa 48v 1000w kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V1000W-26-Front-Rear-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle-Motor-Kit-Cycling-Hub-Conversion-/370739156958

and a 48v16ah setup using prismatic cells. I was hoping to use the a123 but they cant fit in my battery compartment (430x112x108mm). Before lipo are these my best option out on the market? I was told that 16s2p is the most i can fit in these dimensions. Below is the link to the cells im interested in but i will get the 8ah version.

http://hzliao.en.alibaba.com/product/760519031-215253600/3_2v_10Ah_li_lon_cell_for_e_bike_e_scooter.html

So what do you guys think? Is this my best choice economically and with the most power and range?

Why start another thread about your build and ask the same battery question again? Both snellemin and myself told you 24s2p lipo will fit. I even uploaded pictures to help and guide you with your build. Do you just like to start new threads and ask the same questions hoping the answer will change? :roll: Have the mods delete this thread and keep it contained in the original thread. http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49081. By doing this we can better help you get this done the right way the first time. 8)

Back