lee Iacocca Emonster transformation

I am running the 12s version of this bms. Mine has been very dependable so far. Over a year of usage and 3k miles and counting. I charge my 15ah pack with a 12ah charger and the bms stays cool. It comes with a wiring diagram.

http://headway-headquarters.com/xji-16s-48v-50a-100a-bms/

You might find it from another vender for less, best to keep looking around.

:D

That's my avatar bike, and it has nearly 4000 miles on it now. It's my daily commuter to and from work. I took it up to 34mph this week with a nice tail wind. The frame is so robust, and I feel so safe at speed, that I made two more EVG conversions for my parents. I've gone with cell-man at emissions-free for every battery, couldn't be happier.

I clearly stated whats my best option before lipo. Im not ready to use lipo batteries thats why i created another thread and noone is viewing this thread so thats why i decided to create another one

Watching these babies call my name to ride them makes me anxious so im gonna go with the 8ah cells from alibaba. correct me if im wrong, the parts i need for a battery pack are charger, bms, connectors and cables? thats it?

I recieved this from the OP in my mailbox this morning. :x

"So yea... After combining the thread noone has replied. now what?"

I am not sure how to respond to him, believe or not I was in the process of compiling a detailed list of parts, suppliers, links and detailed instructions when I received his immature private message. Would you believe, as luck would have it, I accidently deleted the detailed information that I was going to post here from my harddrive. Never to be recovered again. :shock: Oh well the OP is on his own now. No one on this forums gets paid for the info submitted and I was trying to aid him in his project. I have taken alot from this forum (thanks snellemin, sacman, lyen,wesnewell and doctorbass) and was trying to give back. However, due to his immature attitude, I decide he needs a lesson in patience and gratitude. :roll: I will monitor this post to see who else he will offend. Not many on here have EVG bikes so I could have been a hugh asset to him. Too bad he gave me attitude.

So I have a related question about the EV Global Ebikes: Why replace the original Heinzmann motor?

Sure, it's brushed, but it's also the best engineered and manufactured hub motor out there. Brushed motor controllers are super cheap; if you want more speed you can just use a higher voltage. If you use a Heinzmann controller, you get thermostatic protection and soft start, if I remember correctly.

So why are folks so quick to give up on a genuinely high quality motor with an effective built-in torque arm?

Chalo said:
So I have a related question about the EV Global Ebikes: Why replace the original Heinzmann motor?

Sure, it's brushed, but it's also the best engineered and manufactured hub motor out there. Brushed motor controllers are super cheap; if you want more speed you can just use a higher voltage. If you use a Heinzmann controller, you get thermostatic protection and soft start, if I remember correctly.

So why are folks so quick to give up on a genuinely high quality motor with an effective built-in torque arm?

Great for towing a loaded bicycle trailer :)

Blackssr apologies if you took it offensive but I have a deadline for this build. parts list would of been useful but that's my luck.

Chalo are you saying i can juice it with 48v 1000w into this motor rated at 36v 500w?

The reply below is to a PM sent to me for technical info, not a private conversation, so I am replying in this thread so people asking in the future will be able to see the information. (It's always a much much better idea to ask publicly for that reason--otherwise time is used up for just one person that could have been used to help lots of people who are searching for such information. ;) )

ftanka0 said:
hello, so i purchased the evg global. Now im contemplating, do you think i can cruise at 20mph with the original 36v motor? I was planning on replacing everything with a 48v kit but if i can cruise at 20mph with long range and save a few bucks i would prefer that instead.
It takes about 400-500W to maintain 20MPH on level smooth roads, depending on your aero and rolling resistance, in my experience. As long as the controller and motor and batteries can all continuously output that much power, and the voltage stays high enough for the motor's windings vs wheel size (and the bike's gearing for those that have the motor go thru the gears) to maintain that speed, then it will work.

As long as the original stuff was designed to run at that speed at that voltage, and handle that power output, then unless you have hills or headwinds increasing the power requirements, I don't see why not. Might need better batteries than what comes with it, as those small SLA tend to sag a lot under load, which greatly reduces your top speed. If you need long range (to me long range is at least 50-100miles) as well, you'll need to replace the SLA with a much larger pack of some type of Lithium cells, which probably won't all fit inside the original battery housing.

I get up to about 50 miles using 30Ah of 14s Lithium (10Ah RC LiCo (LiPo) and 20Ah EIG Li-NMC, charged to max of 58.2V, 4.15V/cell, almost 100% charge for the NMC but only 90-something % for the RC LiPo, and discharged to min of 49V, 3.5V/cell, about 90% DoD for the NMC and probably close to 99% for the RC LiPo, but I have not ever run it down that far yet, and don't plan to; that's just my absolute cutoff). Typically on long trips I get 22-26Wh/mile, depending on conditions and load and if I have the trailer or not, with either CrazyBIke2 or Delta Tripper.

But it weighs quite a bit, and I don't carry it all unless I am on a long trip, such as my recent dayjob has required--up to 35 miles round trip, occasionally a bit more, with no chance to recharge the traction packs until I'm home, and sometimes into strong headwinds for much of the trip, which effectively adds at least several miles to the trip as far as power usage is concerned. It fits into two ammo cans, one a larger 50 cal can, and the other a 7.62mm can, common sizes you can find at salvage places, military surplus stores, and thrift stores / yard sales / craigslist / freecycle.

But they won't conveniently fit on a bike frame anywhere--you'd have to build a mount for htem. On the front fork either at the front axle or above the front wheel would work, as well as panniers at the rear axle (don't put them up on a rear or front rack out over the axle, the bike will not handle nearly as well and the rack may break on bumps/potholes).

However, I don't know enough about EVGs specifically to say. Someone else that does know would have to chime in, if you can't find the information in any of the other threads about this kind of bike. Everything I know about them I read in those threads here on ES, for the most part, other than the very little I gathered from some bits of used electronics and handlebar controls I have here.

ftanka0 said:
Chalo are you saying i can juice it with 48v 1000w into this motor rated at 36v 500w?

For reliability's sake, it would be best to stick to the same current limits as the original design, so maximum torque remains the same. But if you run it on 48V instead of 36v, you can expect 33% higher free speed and (possibly) commensurately higher top speed.

One reason to replace the heinzmann would be to overvolt for more speed. The brushed heinzmann is fairly quick to overheat if you run them hard.

But used within their limits, they are damn good motors. Really superior axle and torque arm design. If you have the 36v one, it's said to be not bad performance. The 24v version is pretty lame, with its top speed of about 12 mph. But the 36v one is faster, and harder to melt down.

Kinda loud too, not a stealth motor, that's for sure. But it's by far the torquiest hubmotor I've ever ridden.

does anyone know how much Amp does the controller handle? So to have a cheap conversion, I can keep my first build with the 36v setup with a decent amount of Ah but with 20mph minimum. Its not easy deciding since their are so many options like ping, headways, and these

http://hzliao.en.alibaba.com/product/760519031-215253600/3_2v_10Ah_li_lon_cell_for_e_bike_e_scooter.html

Stock Iacocca bike controller wattage? I vaguely recall it was 18 amps or something like that. Less than 20 but not as low as 15 amps. That was for the 24v bikes though, I don't know about the 36v version.

I was running mine on 35 amps fwiw.

Just picked up a never used 2004 36V SX Model today. :D Attached are some picks I took while I picked up my son from school. Already ordered some 2.3 tires, Easton riser bars and stem. Waiting for HK to replenish stock on some 6S packs. Going to 48V on stock motor.

DSCN0759Large_zps43f24a9a.jpg

DSCN0765Large_zpsa8defaba.jpg

DSCN0760Large_zpse86f69a9.jpg

DSCN0758Large_zps3e2d6128.jpg

DSCN0761Large_zps6596eecb.jpg

DSCN0762Large_zpsc5abca65.jpg

DSCN0764Large_zpsacc36fdd.jpg

DSCN0769Large_zps943e1ca0.jpg

Motor will handle 48V no problem. Controller should be ok. If not I have spare 48V brushed controllers laying around. I payed $325.00 everything new. Goind to a 42T front chainring.

triggeraa said:
Just picked up a never used 2004 36V SX Model today. :D Attached are some picks I took while I picked up my son from school. Already ordered some 2.3 tires, Easton riser bars and stem. Waiting for HK to replenish stock on some 6S packs. Going to 48V on stock motor.

Score... Very nice find. Enjoy

triggeraa said:
Motor will handle 48V no problem. Controller should be ok. If not I have spare 48V brushed controllers laying around. I payed $325.00 everything new. Goind to a 42T front chainring.

where can i get 48v brushed controllers? You think 48v15ah wouldn't be too much for that motor, I''ve been considering replacing everything with a 48v kit but now you've enlightened me to save some $$$ and just buy batteries

Many brushed motors can safely be overvolted 12v. TNC scooters has a wide range of generic controllers that would work. I'll be running the LB37 48V 10-50A.

http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=41_75

Just watch your motor heat overvolting one. Normal riding will be fine. But with more power, you get tempted to go ride up really steep stuff. Doing that, I melted a 24v one in 20 min. Once I cooked off the brushes, it becomes an arc lamp inside there. The motor got so hot the magnets were no longer magnetic!!.

After that one, I put a remote thermometer on the axle of the motor right by the wires. Watching that temp, I was able to dirt ride a second motor all summer with no problems. Never overheated the brushes on that motor.

ftanka0 said:
o so you will replace the controller before running
Do not know how stout the original controller is. LB37 will supply more amps. Original controller may work fine on 48V. I will save the original for future use.

triggeraa said:

Any updates on your retrofit?

Back