Avanti D8 + Cromotor + Adaptto MAX-E controller

andreym

100 W
The bike was build last summer, I rode it for over 10000km since
The frame was arrived from Australia, Many thanks to FullThrottle for his help with buying the bike locally and sending it oversea!

I will reserve some place for creation history pictures and some videos.

Current configuration is Cromotor in 24" rim with 2.5 tire, MAX-E controller and pelican case with the maximum possible wh inside :)

IMG_20120701_192648.jpg

IMG_20120701_192828.jpg
IMG_20120701_192700.jpg

Here is mine pelican 1300 case :)
it is very tight fit but I wanted the best kwhrs/pelican case ratio :mrgreen:
10pcs of ZippyCompact 9S 5.8ah for total of 18S5P configuration. 1900wh nominal 1700+wh usable (4.15->3.6 for long life)

IMG_20120626_141232.jpg

IMG_20120629_180503.jpg

custom made clamps
IMG_20120627_200448.jpg

IMG_20120628_175642.jpg

still some clearance for the fork crown
IMG_20120628_175655.jpg

and it is done:
IMG_20120701_192828.jpg

IMG_20120701_192839.jpg

IMG_20120701_192727.jpg

additional 800wh battery was tapeted to the frame before long trip from Moscow to Saint-Petersburg :)

Never balanced the pack - now it is less than 10mv difference fully charged.

subscribed!

i love this new one too. is that fas7r?
[youtube]tY3J5CO267k[/youtube]
nice photos. must be exciting using hookworms in such snow!

you should up photos of your cromo disc modification.

are all the batts in the pelican? or are there batts along the frame there? or is that your charger mounted to the frame?

also, how do you monitor cell voltage?

GCinDC said:
subscribed!

i love this new one too. is that fas7r?
yes - he is.
you should up photos of your cromo disc modification.
no rear disk brakes on this bike yet, regen is enough
are all the batts in the pelican? or are there batts along the frame there? or is that your charger mounted to the frame?
also, how do you monitor cell voltage?
yes - all the batts now is inside the pelican case
the ones on the frame was add-on while the trip from Moscow to Saint Petersburg last summer, then I untaped them :)
it is the controller(green one) mounted on the frame, some day I will make permanent mount for it...
I do NOT monitor cell voltages, I only charge to 75v (4.16 per cell) and discharge to 63v (3.5v per cell minimum under load) so get about 65v unloaded in the end,
I have checked cell voltages couple times fully charged and fully discharged - delta was less than 20mv, so I decided not to balance them

btw today was firmware update and new interesting stats:
IMG_20130225_194434_576.jpg

Question, When will the MAX-E controller able start to sell and it seems very attractive controller. I am interested and I have CroMotor runs on Lyen controller but the MAX-E controller seems has better feature than Lyen controller.

i love this charging method... from gt thread when i asked about your charging vid.:
andreym said:
GCinDC said:
ok andrey, this is very interesting. can you give a few words of explanation in english?
what is the max controller?
best,
g
yep - it is a Maxcontroller - sorry for comments on Russian, I should make an English version as well :)
yes - any PSU with sufficient power and the voltage less that battery voltage can be connected to negative charge wire(each max-e and mini-e will have this wire) and to positive through coil (inductance 15-30uH) to any of the phase wires. While all the phase wires should be still connected to the motor.
So only 2 leads connected to PSU will cause the controller enter the charge mode.
Coil is a must, it will not work well without it.
Charge current and max battery voltage could be set up in the menu, and it will charge the battery as CC\CV charger, even if the PSU does not have CC mode.
i always thought it would be great to somehow use a controller in charging...

so is the frame to small for the disc?

and torque arm photos? :mrgreen:

is it much harder to turn with the weight on the forks? or just a little?

Hi,

Very interesting videos and data here :wink: its really nice, I like to know if you get the 98 Km/h top speed on flat road with a 18S Lipo pack ? :shock: like the display suggest because I have a Cromotor V2 (9.3KV motor) on its way and I'm planning to use the same rim and tire size on my ebike.

Thank you, good day!
Black Arrow

GCinDC said:
so is the frame to small for the disc?
and torque arm photos? :mrgreen:
is it much harder to turn with the weight on the forks? or just a little?
no - there is a free space for the rear disc brake, I`m just too lazy to make it installed. And regen braking with a Cromotor is really hard enough
as for the torque arms... 2pcs 6mm each side 35ХГСА steel
IMG_0397.JPG

I tried to glue them with pd420 epoxy
IMG_20120628_202549.jpg
IMG_20120628_202600.jpg

IMG_20120628_202605.jpg
IMG_20120628_202554.jpg

but I has not mixed that as it supposed to be and next day they unglued :(
than I asked a friend and he welded them right to the frame! Remember it is CroMo 4130!
From that time I forgot about problems with loosen nuts and axel twist...

As for Pelican on the forks, it is definitely harder to turn it at slower than 20kph, and it just adds stability at faster speeds!

chroot said:
Question, When will the MAX-E controller able start to sell and it seems very attractive controller. I am interested and I have CroMotor runs on Lyen controller but the MAX-E controller seems has better feature than Lyen controller.
It will be available in nearest future, and it is definitely the most advanced controller you ever could imagine before :wink:

BlackArrow said:
Hi,
Very interesting videos and data here :wink: its really nice, I like to know if you get the 98 Km/h top speed on flat road with a 18S Lipo pack ?
You will get ~70pkh on flat with the same rim and tire with regular controller.
98pkh was slightly downhill with special feature OVS(overspeed) with a MAX-e controller.

holy crap, that's fast! do you ever pedal? is that a schlumpf or a 30t chainring in the front? haha

for you, what is the benefit of ebike over motorcycle? the same as for me, to get thru traffic, etc?

how do you monitor the heat of the cromo? what's the hottest it's been?

Hi,

I read on another post that the Max-e his a Cycle Analyst a bms and a controller all in the same package wath is the "target" price when available in the nearest future ? And i really love the OVS future for sure :D

Good day!
Black Arrow

full-throttle said:
Wow, that's fast :shock: Only 2kph short of a 100 :wink:
Are you running Hookworms? No problem in the wet?
How's the suspension?
yes hookworms, both, handling well, when you see wet surface, you just keep in mind that it`s wet and do not lean 45 degrees on the corner :D
front Monster after oil change is perfect, plushiest fork I ever ridden, rear stock vanilla RC still ok.
only rear Doubletrack is almost trashed, Will change it for moped rim later.
here is how it looks like from inside
IMG_20130220_183352_055.jpg

Yep that rim looks like it had it! Is it me or is that a giant crack going down the center of the rim :shock:
Maybe I'm just over reacting.
Great looking bike, clean build.
Really interested in that controller! Where did you mount the thing, I can't find it?

GCinDC said:
so they don't pinch the axle? does that axle go back and forth between accelerating and regen?
nice wheel!
no, they don`t
i have to use a hummer to release the axle - it is very tight, no movement at all even without the nuts.

voicecoils said:
Did you make any spare torque arms sets made to sell or have drawings?
My D8 with broken hanger could use such a neat design!
I will look for drawings tomorrow.
btw you will have to correct the hole size it is wrong on mine.

Back