2kw e-bike build

I am about to start buying parts for a 2000w e-bike build and just wanted to make sure that a 72v 19.2 uppbattery would be suitable for a 2000w hub motor. I’m also considering replacing the controller that comes with the kit with a sabvoton to be able to tune everything at will and also having an output of 60 amps available, and getting a hubsink to keep the motor cool. If there’s anything that wouldn’t work please let me know

To know whether any of it would "work", we'd need to know exactly which parts are being used (links to each one) so we can see their individual specifications, and then we'd need to know how the system will be used, under what conditions, terrain, etc., to guesstimate if they could do the job you need them to do.

Without pretty complete details on everything, we can't tell you what will and won't "work".

Please see this page for an example of this kind of problem:

I am about to start buying parts for a 2000w e-bike build and just wanted to make sure that a 72v 19.2 uppbattery would be suitable for a 2000w hub motor. I’m also considering replacing the controller that comes with the kit with a sabvoton to be able to tune everything at will and also having an output of 60 amps available, and getting a hubsink to keep the motor cool. If there’s anything that wouldn’t work please let me know
Hubsinks won't keep the motor cool unless you add Statorade to move the heat from the stator to the motor case. At 2000W, statorade alone will keep the motor cool. Don't count on those LG cells outputting 60A; with 4P, they may output around 40A.

Don't count on those LG cells outputting 60A; with 4P, they may output around 40A.
What LG cells? All they specified was a "72v 19.2 uppbattery". A search finds that UPP makes them with various cells, including "Chinese4800mAh", so we don't know which ones they're actualy going to use. ;)

one random link for example:

So...to give useful help we still need to know much more, as previously noted.

Which 2000w motor are you looking at?

To know whether any of it would "work", we'd need to know exactly which parts are being used (links to each one) so we can see their individual specifications, and then we'd need to know how the system will be used, under what conditions, terrain, etc., to guesstimate if they could do the job you need them to do.

Without pretty complete details on everything, we can't tell you what will and won't "work".

Please see this page for an example of this kind of problem:
Yeah sorry about that. I'm planning on using it for general commuting mostly on roads and bike paths, but want more power than the previous 1500w 48v e-bike I had. I usually found myself only using around 800 watts when just riding around.

Here are the links to everything:

Link to motor kit: 2000w kit

link to battery: U004-1 72v 19.2ah BMS60A 21700 LG 4800mAh Triangle Ebike battery for 0-3000w motor with 4A charger/AU STOCK/3-5working days arrive

hubsink: HubSink - Electric Bike cooling for Ebike Hub Motors QS205 / MXUS | eBay

Which 2000w motor are you looking at?
this one:

Hmm, rebranded no-name motor, with no real specs, and no name parts..
There's also zero information on the company on their page..

Are you sure this is a trustworthy company?

You may want to look at leafbike's 1.5kw motor.. it's very high efficiency, not all that expensive, and underrated, power wise.
The controller in their kits isn't great so i recommend just getting a motor wheel.

If you're going to use a 72v battery then you'd need to stay away from that default 4T winding because it'll suck amps like there's no tomorrow at top speed.

A 5T would be pretty good. You can see how it performs on the ebikes.ca motor simulator here:
Motor Simulator - Tools

Hmm, rebranded no-name motor, with no real specs, and no name parts..
There's also zero information on the company on their page..

Are you sure this is a trustworthy company?

You may want to look at leafbike's 1.5kw motor.. it's very high efficiency, not all that expensive, and underrated, power wise.
The controller in their kits isn't great so i recommend just getting a motor wheel.

If you're going to use a 72v battery then you'd need to stay away from that default 4T winding because it'll suck amps like there's no tomorrow at top speed.

A 5T would be pretty good. You can see how it performs on the ebikes.ca motor simulator here:
Motor Simulator - Tools
Thanks for the advice. Company is supposed to be good, except for the fact that they sell faulty controllers and that they dropship.

I'm planning on using it for general commuting mostly on roads and bike paths, but want more power than the previous 1500w 48v e-bike I had. I usually found myself only using around 800 watts when just riding around.
If you were only using 800w (about half of what you already have), then more power won't help you, and is a waste of money to upgrade to, because you won't be using it.

What you need is to define what "more power" means to you: Do you need higher acceleration? Faster speed? What specifcally are you looking for that you don't have now, under what specific riding conditions, terrain, wind, etc.?

Knowing what job you want the system to do for you, and the conditions it must happen under, we can help you find parts that will do that for you.

Regarding hubsinks: If you are not even using the power you have now, those are a waste of money for you. ;) They are used to keep a motor cool when it is continuously used at higher power levels than it is capable of handling without overheating. They also don't do as much without ferrofluid / statorade, as they only cool the rotor and magnets. The stator where the heat is generated still has an airgap insulating it from the magnets, and thus from the heatsinks.

IIRC some of the motors on the ebikes.ca simulator are thermally modelled with and without statorade and hubsinks, so you could see what happens there in each situation under your specific riding conditions and terrain and wind, etc.

Thanks for the advice. Company is supposed to be good, except for the fact that they sell faulty controllers and that they dropship.

If they sell faulty controllers and are a dropshipper.. that tells me you won't get support from this company and you also don't know what you're buying when you buy from them.

For the Leafbike 1.5kw, The company provides spec sheets in each listing. They significantly underrate the product. And also they have the highest efficiency hub on the market today. They know what they're selling, because they made the motor :)

If you were only using 800w (about half of what you already have), then more power won't help you, and is a waste of money to upgrade to, because you won't be using it.

What you need is to define what "more power" means to you: Do you need higher acceleration? Faster speed? What specifcally are you looking for that you don't have now, under what specific riding conditions, terrain, wind, etc.?

Knowing what job you want the system to do for you, and the conditions it must happen under, we can help you find parts that will do that for you.

Regarding hubsinks: If you are not even using the power you have now, those are a waste of money for you. ;) They are used to keep a motor cool when it is continuously used at higher power levels than it is capable of handling without overheating. They also don't do as much without ferrofluid / statorade, as they only cool the rotor and magnets. The stator where the heat is generated still has an airgap insulating it from the magnets, and thus from the heatsinks.

IIRC some of the motors on the ebikes.ca simulator are thermally modelled with and without statorade and hubsinks, so you could see what happens there in each situation under your specific riding conditions and terrain and wind, etc.
I usually ride on small bike paths, which I didn’t want to use the full speed on. The only problem was that I couldn’t ride on roads properly either as my bike could go just over the speed limit, and it felt really unsafe because if something went wrong I’d have no wiggle room, and anyone could overtake me. I’m hoping that having a slightly bigger motor would give me more freedom to ride on roads without being too expensive. When going back home from friends houses I often used the full 1500w as there were usually few cars on the road. I like the idea of upgrading the motor in the future, which is why I want a 72v battery and a 2000w motor, since I don’t have the money for anything bigger right now. Regarding the terrain, there are a few hills around me, but none that really need more power than I already had. With the hubsink I talked about, I had heard from a friend that I could use the 2000w motor to push around 3000w if I had a better controller, while keeping it relatively safe.

I recommend you play around with the ebikes.ca motor simulator. It will help you see which parts of the system you would need to change and to what to achieve what you need.

For instance, if you don't have a fast-enough-wind motor or a high enough voltage to cause the motor you do have to spin at the speed you want, it doesn't matter if you have ten thousand watts available, it won't make you go any faster. ;)

Each motor has a certain RPM for a given voltage (kV), so knowing that you can guesstimate how fast it will go for a given battery voltage.

It takes a certain amount of power to go a certain speed under specific conditions. 1500w is enough to go pretty fast (probably at least 30mph on flat ground with no headwind) if the system has the voltage and/or motor kV to do it.

Since you don't state the speed you are already able to go (as we have no way of knowing what the speed limit is where you are riding), or the speed you need to go, we can't help you figure out what you actually need to do that, so the simulator is your best bet to figure that out.

Regarding 3kw of power, unless you need to climb steep hills, pull heavy cargo trailers, etc., or go perhaps 45mph on flat ground, you don't need it and it just makes the bike heavier and more expensive.

For instance, if you only need to go, say, 35mph, it only takes around 1500w, which your system can already do, so you can either change your motor to one with a kV high enough to do that with your existing battery and controller, or change your battery to one high enough voltage to spin the existing motor that fast, and probalby the controller to one that can handle that high a voltage.

If you need faster than that just for short bursts, you can almost certainly still do the same things, as most motors can take short term loads higher than their "ratings". If you need faster speed (and thus higher power) for longer, those hubsinks and statorade would help you with that, if using your existing motor.

If you just want the power to have the power, that's up to you....but my guess is you don't need it.

I recommend you play around with the ebikes.ca motor simulator. It will help you see which parts of the system you would need to change and to what to achieve what you need.

For instance, if you don't have a fast-enough-wind motor or a high enough voltage to cause the motor you do have to spin at the speed you want, it doesn't matter if you have ten thousand watts available, it won't make you go any faster. ;)

Each motor has a certain RPM for a given voltage (kV), so knowing that you can guesstimate how fast it will go for a given battery voltage.

It takes a certain amount of power to go a certain speed under specific conditions. 1500w is enough to go pretty fast (probably at least 30mph on flat ground with no headwind) if the system has the voltage and/or motor kV to do it.

Since you don't state the speed you are already able to go (as we have no way of knowing what the speed limit is where you are riding), or the speed you need to go, we can't help you figure out what you actually need to do that, so the simulator is your best bet to figure that out.

Regarding 3kw of power, unless you need to climb steep hills, pull heavy cargo trailers, etc., or go perhaps 45mph on flat ground, you don't need it and it just makes the bike heavier and more expensive.

For instance, if you only need to go, say, 35mph, it only takes around 1500w, which your system can already do, so you can either change your motor to one with a kV high enough to do that with your existing battery and controller, or change your battery to one high enough voltage to spin the existing motor that fast, and probalby the controller to one that can handle that high a voltage.

If you need faster than that just for short bursts, you can almost certainly still do the same things, as most motors can take short term loads higher than their "ratings". If you need faster speed (and thus higher power) for longer, those hubsinks and statorade would help you with that, if using your existing motor.

If you just want the power to have the power, that's up to you....but my guess is you don't need it.
Alright thank you. With the build I had before I did about 66kmph when the battery was fully charged. The speed limits of the roads I want to ride are 60kmph so I want the extra power to be that little bit quicker just for safety

THen if your battery and controller can handle the extra current needed to generate the higher watts, a higher kV motor (even of the same 1500w "rating", like the leaf motors Neptronix mentioned), would give you that little bit faster speed.

If your battery and controller aren't sufficient for that purpose, then upgrading those to something with enough voltage (and current capability) to do this, and keeping your existing motor would do the same thing.

The motor is the almost-easiest and often cheapest thing to change...so if you're on a budget, that's the first thing I'd look at.

The battery is the most expensive thing to change (the cheaper a battery is for a given capability, the less likely it is to actuallly meet the advertised ratings or last as long as it should), but the easiest (just one connector with two wires to change out on the controller to match the battery, or on the battery to match the controller).

The controller is the hardest thign to change (unless you change *everything* as a kit, display, throttle, brake levers, motor, PAS sensor, etc, because of figuring out the wiring and connectors) and middling expensive when you get to higher voltages and middling power levels.

If you find that changing just one or the other doesn't do what you want, you can always change the others as needed later. ;)

The extra power of full system swapout might give you faster acceleration while you're closer to the full speed you're after, and depending on battery voltage and kV of the motor might give an even higher top speed.

The simulator, once you play with it a bit to see how it works and understand what it's showing you, can help you see the interactions between things to better figure out your ideal system.

I don't see any torquearms with that kit. At 2kW, you're probably going to need them to keep the motor from destroying your dropouts and possibly causing an accident.

Yeah you will want torque arms on both sides at a minimum. Leafbike doesn't ship with them either.

I recommend what ebikes.ca has to offer here. I've tried a few ebikes.ca knockoffs and the axle fitment sloppy - the opposite of what you want on a torque arm. Don't skimp on the thing that saves your frame from eventual destruction.

Alright thank you. With the build I had before I did about 66kmph when the battery was fully charged. The speed limits of the roads I want to ride are 60kmph so I want the extra power to be that little bit quicker just for safety
Others are giving good advice about electronics and mechanical parts. I just want to reflect back that your current build does 66kph/41mph on a new battery, and that you'd like to go faster. It's certainly possible to get everything truckin' down the road more quickly -- but if it were me on that bike, on the roads that I live on, I'd be wondering if it's safe to go faster.

I hope your bike has some phenomenal brakes and good suspension to keep your journey safe.

I agree on the torque arms - don't cheap out, just spend a bit more money on a quality piece of kit in the first place. Torque arms are going to be far more important at 2,000W than the 800W you spend a lot of time running around at now.

I was thinking along the same lines.. I have 4 units in the garage awaiting my attention to get going, so not a lot of advising, but do wear a helmet being older than the helmet laws I will tell ya, a bug to the snoot at 65 hurts REALLY bad

Anything over 30-35 mph, you're definitely going to want full suspension and hydraulic disc brakes as well. A lot can go wrong much faster than you could ever react to it.

What LG cells? All they specified was a "72v 19.2 uppbattery". A search finds that UPP makes them with various cells, including "Chinese4800mAh", so we don't know which ones they're actualy going to use. ;)

one random link for example:

So...to give useful help we still need to know much more, as previously noted.
The only one with a 60A BMS I could find had the LG cells.

The only one with a 60A BMS I could find had the LG cells.
That's why i wait for questioners to provide details; it takes too much time for me to figure out what they mean or have if they don't, so I don't then have time to help them with their actual problem. ;)

Back