3D printing nylon

Ricky_nz

10 kW
Anyone else here 3d printing with nylon?

I recently brought a 1Kg roll cheap ($35NZD) to have a play since I already make successfuly prints in both ABS and PLA and it seems to be working well.
Being on sale I didn't get any choice of the colour but bright yellow is ok.

Taking me a bit to get the printer settings sorted etc.
I have found that using BIC glue stick on my borosilicate glass at 100C seems to hold the nylon down ok but for some parts I still need a brim to stop the edges lifting. The gluestick is what I use for ABS as well. For PLA I just clean the glass with vinegar so I have two sheets of glass I swap, one for ABS and now also nylon and the other for PLA.

I have now figured out that some of my early prints with nylon were printed a little too cold and slightly too low a flow rate causing easy separation of layers. My latest test pieces are getting really good layer bonding.

Here is a couple of time lapse videos of some of my early prints while I was playing with settings. I was also playing around with creating time lapse videos for the first time. The gear video was done by a short shell script calling the commands every second to grab a frame from a USB webcam on linux.
[youtube]TQQmvuLdWhQ[/youtube]
[youtube]saROq0t5dtY[/youtube]

Soon joining you with the nylon! did you try Taulman materials? They have very good properties depending on what you need. Also good look and good finish. With some leveling, epoxy resin and grit paper you won't believe it was printed and not cast.

Back