Adaptto Mini-E/Max-E Owner's Thread

Yes.. if R113 is blown you will see a lower voltage

zlagger said:
I will test the LED tonight when I charge again. I checked the cell voltages on the Adaptto display after the bike balanced for 10 minutes (charger off) and they looked nicely balanced. Thing is, I don't know if that cell was pushed over the balance threshold all that much.

go to:
> bms setup,
>bms setup
>cell voltage config

then adjust the max cell voltage(to for eg. 4.1v)

and the balance voltage ( to for eg. 3.9v)

the max charge voltage in charge settings should also be set to accomodate for this.

then charge.

watch the voltages go up above the 3.9 ballance voltage on the screen.

if that light still doesnt shine, and all the cells are over 3.9v(can also be checked in >battery monitor in bms setup)
then the led likely has a problem :wink:

Ran the Mini-E to work today, and had a few thoughts.

The mini seems to pack quite a punch for it's size, so no complaints there, but it just seems to not really handle pushing power for long. I see thermal roll back quite often.

On a 2-3% grade, I was doing 1000-1200W and that was maxed out. Granted that is after riding 3 miles at moderate cruising speeds to get the controller to heat soak and settle into a consistent temp. Controller was mounted with really good airflow and it was a nice 65F out.

What do you guys think? Does this seem a little lacking to you?
Before I updated the firmware, I overheated the controller in literally a 1/3rd mile, and had to switch to sensorless. On sensorless, I was able to run 1500W for a few miles, no problem. Now with the new firmware, the controller is definitely doing better. I can run 3-4kW for about a half mile before it slows down from heat. Then I get about 1kW once the temperature settles down.

zlagger said:
Ran the Mini-E to work today, and had a few thoughts.

The mini seems to pack quite a punch for it's size, so no complaints there, but it just seems to not really handle pushing power for long. I see thermal roll back quite often.

On a 2-3% grade, I was doing 1000-1200W and that was maxed out. Granted that is after riding 3 miles at moderate cruising speeds to get the controller to heat soak and settle into a consistent temp. Controller was mounted with really good airflow and it was a nice 65F out.

What do you guys think? Does this seem a little lacking to you?
Before I updated the firmware, I overheated the controller in literally a 1/3rd mile, and had to switch to sensorless. On sensorless, I was able to run 1500W for a few miles, no problem. Now with the new firmware, the controller is definitely doing better. I can run 3-4kW for about a half mile before it slows down from heat. Then I get about 1kW once the temperature settles down.

That seems low, but really depends on how it's mounted and what kind of airflow it's getting. That's about right if it's in a bag. It'd be easy and *highly* advantageous to stick a little heatsink over the FET heatsink screws. AS5 is probably the best thermal paste you could use. But if you haven't checked the motor tuning, consider doing a manual tune...

sounds like your advanced settings might be wrong for the motor.

also could be wrong temp sensor selected, giving wrong reading to controller.

the mini-e should be fine with around 3kw continuous..

check the fet temps in health monitor. if they are still below 60 or 70C when the roll back happens, it might be something else.

zlagger said:
Has anyone successfully run a Crystalite Crown motor with the Adaptto?

Seems like calibration is way off. The Mini-E was over heating in less than 1/2 a mile. Had to switch to Sensorless to get to work. Then it ran cool.

Upgrading to newest firmware presently, will try that next
DF6671E3-199C-4FF5-9939-64496D49562C.jpg

Dear Zlagger,

Please note, that our controllers do not work in appropriate way with Crystalite Crown motor. This explains the problem with overheating.
This problem will probably be solved, but not in the near future.

I will add this information to our starting post in sales thread. Please note this for the future orders.

All the best!

whats wrong with Clyte Crown motors?

madin88 said:

The problem lies in magnetic flow. For now we don't have exact values of that but it's obvious that this motor is not a good choice for sine-wave operation.

Adaptto E-Drives Lab said:
madin88 said:

The problem lies in magnetic flow. For now we don't have exact values of that but it's obvious that this motor is not a good choice for sine-wave operation.

Hello
Could you tell us what is the problem with the crown Motor?
Is the problem less resitance of the winding, or high inductance?
Would be interesting to know what are the allowed parameter to choose the adaptto

I was beginning to come to this conclusion as well. On version 8 of the firmware, auto detect was terrible with the crown. It detected the 60deg offset, but then the fine adjustment was all the way to the 30s. On the newest firmware, for the mini (max was dead), I was getting only like 5deg on the fine offset.

I'm pretty certain this was a factor in my phase wires over heating as well. Since I had used my 24FET Methtech controller with the same motor and was ripping way more current, for much longer time, on the same hill.

Everything has just been running so hot on Adaptto & Crown. Now I know why.

zlagger said:
Has anyone successfully run a Crystalite Crown motor with the Adaptto?

Seems like calibration is way off. The Mini-E was over heating in less than 1/2 a mile. Had to switch to Sensorless to get to work. Then it ran cool.

Upgrading to newest firmware presently, will try that next
DF6671E3-199C-4FF5-9939-64496D49562C.jpg

Dear Zlagger,

Please note, that our controllers do not work in appropriate way with Crystalite Crown motor. This explains the problem with overheating.
This problem will probably be solved, but not in the near future.

I will add this information to our starting post in sales thread. Please note this for the future orders.

All the best!

You dont have anything on charge at the same time do you ?, as mine would do this if I had my phone plugged in on charge when giving it WOT.

ridethelightning said:
im having a little conundrum with the protection feature on my mini-e

it tripps off when i open up the throttle to go up a steep hill or to accellerate hard and i get PROTECT warning message on the screen. i really dont think im pulling enough current to warrent it to do this.

i can reset this in the controller setup menue, where it says protection Y or N option, but selecting N does not turn off the protection feature, just resets :?:

anyone have an idea of how to turn it off permenantly? or perhaps adjust it to tripp at higher current?

i never had this problem with max-e, but it might be cause its for higher current...

I received the following email from support:
Dear Rich,

You need to measure voltage between power ground and halls ground while hall sensor is connected.
If voltage is more then 1V, means there was a short circuit of hall wires to somewhere else (phase wires). Check isolation of halls wires. Remove back cover of the controller (without wires) and replace R113 (R113 is near the fixing screw). The value of the resistor is any within range 2-8 ohms.

In your case (melting phase wires) there is a high chance of damaging the whole wires (covered with the protective coating on your photo from ES) so you need to check all the wires since you can kill the controller in case of problems there.

All the best!

So I checked voltage at:
Halls Ground -> battery ground
9F87F7ED-AFC6-43F3-B9F3-ACAF03A2314B.jpg

Halls Ground -> Halls 5V
5AC0A447-0047-48AD-A8BE-D915BA68E9CF.jpg

Hall Lead 1 -> hall ground (both states)
9F48A623-FA8C-492E-B5F9-ACB030270F26.jpg

F7093E19-E55D-490A-A37F-03DFDE271C01.jpg

madin88 said:

The Sabvoton doesn't seem to have any trouble running a crown with sine wave, has anyone successfully run a crown with the max-e? This troubles me as I have both but not built them into a bike yet.

I know what you mean... After you invest a lot of money, it sucks to hear of an incompatibility. These motors and controllers are not cheap.

I'm just hoping I can get the Max-E fixed. I can demote the Crown to an infinion controller for the time being and begin building a Cromotor.

Seven said:
The Sabvoton doesn't seem to have any trouble running a crown with sine wave, has anyone successfully run a crown with the max-e? This troubles me as I have both but not built them into a bike yet.

I just had my Max-E repaired in great time by Oleg + Jeka (i think they did it). Eagerly await cleaning up my bike and getting it back on. It's headed home with a BMS and large charging coil. :D I had some very weird symptoms (negative/floating current readings, limited power, random resets, loss of power, etc) and I tested some internal connections myself, not sure what they had to do to fix it but the point is-- they can do it. :)

zlagger said:
I know what you mean... After you invest a lot of money, it sucks to hear of an incompatibility. These motors and controllers are not cheap.

I'm just hoping I can get the Max-E fixed. I can demote the Crown to an infinion controller for the time being and begin building a Cromotor.

Seven said:
I feel the same... Ive got a couple of motors that I could run but i'd be pretty disappointed if the max-e couldn't run 'em... hopefully its purely a firmware issue (hard to imagine its hardware) and that 'near future' means weeks-months, not years+ :p .

Allex said:
Can you tell me why people buy crowns when you have cromotors/quanshun for same or less money with better performance?
For me it was purely a matter of availability, there is a number of dealers for crystalyte in Australia, and none that I know of for the Cro or quanshun,
So now I'm in the market for another motor, allex could you tell me where I could get a cro at the right price? I am happy to do the upgrades to the phase wired and kty81 etc...

contact zelena vosila in croatia.

Vladimir will sort you out.
they even have a 16kv wind available at the mo..as well as the usual 9

i got a cro ordered to Aus a couple days ago, around 600 usd, whichat the mo is around 800aud :roll:

Or you buy a qs motor for half the price directly from from the quanshun factory where cromotor comes from. Check the sales section in this forum.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=65972

Seven said:
madin88 said:

wasn't there a general issue with the crown motors :?:
I remember when they come out about 2 years ago many had problems to run them above 72V with normal trapez controllers. check out the crown motors thread. That was the reason why i bought cromotor at this time.

ridethelightning said:
contact zelena vosila in croatia.

Vladimir will sort you out.
they even have a 16kv wind available at the mo..as well as the usual 9

i got a cro ordered to Aus a couple days ago, around 600 usd, whichat the mo is around 800aud :roll:

since the manufacturer QS also offers these motors for installation into bicycle frames, i see no reason to order from zelena vozila for almost twice the money. they have same performance and efficiency and as far as i know you even can purchase a better "cromotor" with higher copper fill form them (i think its called the extra type) ;)

Hello
It would be interesting to know, what are the problems with the crystalyte Crown Motor - in combination with adaptto.
It would be also good, to make an on Thread where we could post our settings to the different Motors, or make an compatible List.

I do not know how good the autosettings work at the adaptto. Its also hard to find out, if the choosen settings are right - because if you have no direct reference.
I also use many Chrystalyte Motors (the old "HS" / "HT" serie) but there i also had sometimes problems with some motors....

Back