Another Total Newbie!

bdc43

10 mW
Hi Guys (and Gals)!

I'm another total newbie who has decided to enter the wonderful (and fascinating) world of electric bikes. I've been doing some online research since last summer and I think and I'm ready to take the e-bike plunge. I already have a donor bike lined up, but the problem is I'm not sure if it can be converted. You see, it's a 1985 CCM Brutus 6-speed mountain bike and the frame is made out of high tension steel, meaning it's a bit on the heavy side (although quite sturdy). I haven't done the "magnet test" on the forks so I'm not sure if they are steel also or aluminum. I took some measurements but I'm not sure how accurate they are; in any case, here is the data:

Distance between rear forks (closest to the dropouts): 5 1/4"

Distance between front dropouts: 3 3/4"

Rims: 23"

According the http://www.ampedbikes.com, you need at least 5 3/8" between the dropouts for a rear hub kit, so it doesn't look like I'm missing much. I suppose I could try spreading the forks, unless there are other kits that could fit. I would prefer a rear kit for better hill climbing ability. To give you all a better idea of what I heave to work with, here are some pics of my bike ( let me know if they are not visible):

bicycle007.jpg

bicycle001.jpg

bicycle003.jpg

bicycle002.jpg

bicycle004.jpg

bicycle006.jpg

bicycle008.jpg

bicycle005.jpg

Whoops!

I must have goofed somewhere...I see the pics aren't showing up, just the URLs. Could someone help me out on how to post pics to this forum?

Thanks!

Brian

Looks like you have to be careful w/the options on photobucket... this works:
(added spaces in "img" to disable the pic just to show the format)
[im g]http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz308/bchamb1967/bicycle007.jpg[/im g]

like this:
bicycle007.jpg

Everyone,

Thanks for all your help! As you can see, the images re showing up fine now.

Brian

P.S. Moderator, feel free to move this thread to the "E-Bikes General Discussion" section. I started this thread in the E-Vehicles General Discussion" section by mistake.

Hey buddy, nice bike. I'm no expert but I can tell you that the fork is steel. The 2 fork halves are brazed to the crown lug so it has to be steel. I think the bike would make a great ebike.

Good luck :)

Kartopla, thanks for the compliment. :) It's just your run of the mill "el-cheapo Made In Taiwan" entry level mountain bike. I haven't ridden it in about 16 years so it needs a fair bit of cleaning and maintenance. I never used it as a commuter, mostly recreational riding and even then, mostly on paved roads (no off roading). Most of my rides were about 12 to 15 miles round trip 2 or 3 times a week during spring/summer. Amazingly, for a cheap bike, I never had any major breakdowns or even a flat tire; I only had the chain come off the gears a couple of times while shifting which was probably due to a lack of preventative maintenance on my part....I never cleaned the chain, or the even the cassette; just gave 'em a shot of grease every so often when they looked like they needed it. :lol:

Throw on a simple hub motor, and some lipo's and your ready to ride. Well, talk is cheap ,right?

Definately a front hub motor conversion would be easy, and with the steel fork you can be somewhat comfortable with it. Still the forks aren't massive so I wouldn't go any higher than a 500w hub motor, but that will probably take you as fast as you'd ever want to go on that frame anyway:D Throw a rear rack on with a bag for some lithium (perhaps lipo from hobby city or one of the 'PING' packs that are sold on ebay) and you'll be in business.

Good luck!

Back