Brakes

Personally i like V-brakes. My new cruiser has a front V-brake, and it"s very effective. Cantilevers are bit weak in my opinion.
I have been thinking, how to fit a rear V-brake on a coaster-brake cruiser. Is there some kind of adapters? It may need some welding. Then i could install that MTB rear wheel and gears on it. E-bike definitely needs two brakes.

Eskimo said:
Personally i like V-brakes. My new cruiser has a front V-brake, and it"s very effective. Cantilevers are bit weak in my opinion.

It really is all in the setup. Cantilevers have several different configuration variables that linear-pull brakes don't, so there are more ways to go wrong. Linear pull brakes such as Shimano V-brakes are very easy to get right, as long as you use brakes and levers that were designed to work together. For power, cost-effectiveness, and ease of setup, that's what I recommend. Booster arches make them even more powerful if that's what you demand.

I have been thinking, how to fit a rear V-brake on a coaster-brake cruiser. Is there some kind of adapters? It may need some welding. Then i could install that MTB rear wheel and gears on it.

There are mounting plates for that job. They are related to brake boosters (and can be used with brake boosters if desired).

Here's one you can get at Danscomp:
mid_489051.gif

The slot at the top is for the caliper mounting bolt, and the slots on the sides are for hose clamps to brace the arch against the frame or fork. You could weld it on if you wanted to, but that's not necessary.

Chalo said:
Regen will cost you more in coasting ability than it gives back in battery charge. It's a selling point, not a tangible benefit on a vehicle that coasts. It's possible to damage your battery when regen braking on a full pack. The only thing regenerative braking will do for you is reduce your dependence on the lousy disc brakes from your department store bicycle-shaped object. That's something, but maybe not enough to give up easy coasting for.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50042#p739787

you do realize that you are calling our phereless-leeder a liar and/or a bad engineer.
where's your data to support these drunken claims?
the value of regen is a done deal, the freewheel debate is over.
all that remains is 4u 2cum2 terms with your own fallibility & stop spreading disinformation.
there is no wiggle room here, you are flat out wrong.

justin_le said:
What that means is that if you ran the hub motor so that it draws just enough power to overcome its internal drag so that it perfectly simulates a freewheeling setup, you would still end up with a significant net gain over a having no motor or regen at all, putting a net amount of energy into the battery pack and no extra drag on the bicycle

Now a freewheeling setup still has to overcome the motor drag when the motor is running, so the actual results in a realistic comparison are significantly more favorable than this. If for instance the motor was being used 50% of the time, then we would have gained over 4 times more energy from regen than we could have saved from having a freewheel instead. But even for people who only use the motor on the occasional hill, they have more to gain in terms of total energy consumption by having an always engaged motor and regen than they would save from perfect freewheeling.

There are important psychological reasons why freewheeling would be preferred for a lot of people in this case, but the energy argument doesn't seem to hold.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7891

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
justin_le said:
What that means is that if you ran the hub motor so that it draws just enough power to overcome its internal drag so that it perfectly simulates a freewheeling setup, you would still end up with a significant net gain over a having no motor or regen at all, putting a net amount of energy into the battery pack and no extra drag on the bicycle
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7891

Thanks for the informative correction.

My direct experience has only been with the kind of e-braking that engages whenever the throttle demand is less than the vehicle's road speed, and that kind is for the birds. No thanks. A bike that brakes whenever it's not being powered is just terrible, and that experience colored my impression of regen braking.

There are however situations where regen braking of any kind can't fulfill its promise (apart even from poor conversion efficiency, or problems with broken axles and damaged dropouts). For instance, when I lived in Seattle, my commute to work involved a 70 foot climb in the first quarter mile, then a 400 foot descent over the next mile and three quarters, through central city areas with lots of traffic lights. After that, there was a flat three mile stretch where pure freewheeling would have been a welcome feature. The stop-and-go descent would have been a great place to recover some significant juice for the battery, but without some sort of active battery protection it would have been very easy to stuff lots of coulombs into a battery that had already reached a fully charged state. In practice, relatively little of the descent would have been recoverable as battery charge, and there was not very much downhill to exploit on the return trip.

The e-bike I used most on that route had only the sort of passive regen braking that engaged progressively on fast downhills when the motor's back EMF exceeded the battery voltage. The amount of juice I recovered that way was never enough to cause an overcharge, as far as I could tell. It may have resulted in momentary charge rates greater than my batteries were designed for, though.

If I'd had smarter regen braking on that bike, it might only have cost me the difference between a regen-enabled controller and a basic controller, plus a braking switch. But it would not have yielded a significant increase in range or much reduction in depth of discharge on my usual route. It would only have spared me some wear and tear on the mechanical brakes, and that only when the battery's state of charge allowed me to use it. I'd have been happier with a freewheeled motor, all else equal.

I live in Austin now, down close to the river. On-demand regen braking would work much better for me here, because I have to climb to most places, and the recharge could be fully realized on the return leg.

Chalo said:
There are mounting plates for that job. They are related to brake boosters (and can be used with brake boosters if desired).

Here's one you can get at Danscomp:
https://images.danscomp.com/images/products/mid_489051.gif

The slot at the top is for the caliper mounting bolt, and the slots on the sides are for hose clamps to brace the arch against the frame or fork. You could weld it on if you wanted to, but that's not necessary.
And if you like, you can also just cut one off an old front fork to do that sort of thing. ;)
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=725114#p725114
I did the same on Delta Tripper's old U-fork but welded that one on. Methods did something similar a few years back I think, with zip ties and such.

Back