Controller+Throttle sanity check

Sporraw

1 µW
Hi all,

Some time ago I managed to acquire a self build e-bike for a friendly price because the throttle was dodgy. The throttle in question is was a pretty common Wuxing 29DX. I took it apart and the plastic twisty bits were beyond repair, did manage to get to spin the wheel a few times though so the controller, battery and motor are fine.

I ordered a replacement throttle and opted for a half length this time due to personal preference. After arrival the plugs on the throttle seem to have a bit different firmfactor, no problem I can just transfer the connectors or just crimp the wires together.

I just wanted to do a sanity check before test wiring it up.

This is the controller:
EbqQTuC.jpg

Can't find too much information about it if I google the serial number. Apart that it's a 48V1000W controller.

These are the wires on the controller throttle side:
oERovt1.jpg

N2ZL8xj.jpg

Looks like the Red-Blue-Black have the same function but a different formfactor.

The wires from the new throttle:
k20rugA.jpg

I found this diagram in this thread:

sqQ9LTX.jpg

So I'm inclined to do Red-Red, White-Green and Black-Black on one of the triple plugs.

The green wire from the throttle in the red part of the red-black plug of the controller sides.

That leaves the Yellow Brown wires, I can't find out if they need to be connected on the controller or need to be shorted on the throttle side.

Are the connections above correct? I know these are quite simple questions but I'd rather not fry my controller.

The only way to know *for sure* is to open things up and trace the wires.

But in general, most of the throttles I've seen, whether by themselves or with controls or meters or whatever on htem, use red for 5v, black for ground, and either green or white for signal.

Purple is often battery voltage for a battery meter.

Other colors vary, so there are no typical wirings for those. you'd have to check what they are before you do anything with them. If you're not using whatever other stuff comes on the throttle, just leave them unconnected, and individually insulated at the ends to prevent shorting to anything if you don't know the internal wiring they go to.

Anything that the controller didn't have connected to it from the previous throttle can be ignored on the new one, usually.

Occasionally throttles have a button on them that is wired in series with the 5v power, but they don't usually have a red 5v wire in those cases. When they do have this button, you have to wire 5v from controller to it, and then turn the button on to be able to use the throttle. Most of them the switch is two completley separate wires from the actual throttle wiring.

FWIW, I can't see any of your pics (problems with image hosting sites are not uncommon); if you want to be sure they can be seen, you will need to attach them to your post in the attachments tab. Once they are there, then anyone that can see your post can also see your pics.

Hmm interesting, normally imgur plays well with external sites. I managed to removed the wires from the plugs and splice them in a terminal block for testing, and got it to work!
Apart from the white wire it was a matter of matching them up. Managed to get spin while the bike was hanging in the hooks, I'll take it for a test ride on the road tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_181707.jpg
    IMG_20200507_181707.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 541
Back