Custom Build... 2 Speed H.O.B.O Powered e-Cruiser

@#$$!@!^#^^@&^^ Camera!

I took a buch of photo's & tonight the intermitant computer wont recognize the camera glitch has apeared again....grrrrrr.

sorry kim, pics will be asap :(

Thud said:
@#$$!@!^#^^@&^^ Camera!

I took a buch of photo's & tonight the intermitant computer wont recognize the camera glitch has apeared again....grrrrrr.

sorry kim, pics will be asap :(

Ah bugger damn computers! ... upside to it is it will be all the more impressive after a bit longer wait Thud haha... I pissed off my cameras data cable and software bought a $1.99 card reader (paid ~5 bucks postage mind you LOL) Now i pop the SD card out
of the camera to offload pics, actually works quicker than using the cable IMO...

How did the drive unit trun out anywayz Thudster? is it as good as the CAD drawings or better hehe...

KiM

Oh, its still got some rough edges, & I need to give some love to the dogs & hand fit it. add some detents to hold one gear or the other. but it looks like the drawing..... we'll finish the details up this week for sure.

I been looking at card readers but i have an old olympus with an V3 card in it......seemed like a good idea at the time.

Thud said:
Oh, its still got some rough edges, & I need to give some love to the dogs & hand fit it. add some detents to hold one gear or the other. but it looks like the drawing..... we'll finish the details up this week for sure.

I been looking at card readers but i have an old olympus with an V3 card in it......seemed like a good idea at the time.

No worries mate, as you know i have no ESC to even 'play' with it for a few weeks so dont be burning the midnight oil go give the missus some lovin buddy haha...

Is the "dyno mom o meter" up and running Thud? With the bearings for the motor due in soon i am sure your keen to test it out
see what she does!? Is it possible to connect the motor with gearbox 'installed' to the dyno just for interest sake to see the power output in first and 2nd gears? and what the losses are due to the gearing (not that i care on iota how severe the losses are..just add more lipo right hehe) No biggy if not, heck! its cool enough i get a custom wound motor, let alone get the motor dynoed too see its true potential! Siiiiiick :D

KiM

Thud said:
Is yours the type that looks like a very tiny very very thin floppy (stiffy) disk shape? Smartcard I think they are called? If so, I think I have an old USB reader for those that I could send you in a padded envelope.

Amberwolf,
Yes, thats exactly what it loos like. Did your package arive yet?

Kim, I definatly will run the motor san's tranny & with tranny to see what the unit "costs" us to use. I need the bearings to support the brake wheel on the dyno so like all my projects, it goes slowly untill it all comes together at the end.

Thud said:
Amberwolf,

Kim, I definatly will run the motor san's tranny & with tranny to see what the unit "costs" us to use. I need the bearings to support the brake wheel on the dyno so like all my projects, it goes slowly untill it all comes together at the end.

My guess is a 5% reduction in output through the tranny.

Matt

Thud said:
Amberwolf,
Not yet. I did find the adapter; it's an old Imation USB that adapts to the old SmartMedia, original Memory Stick, and original SD. I verified it still works, using my old Olympus' 8MB card.

Hi AJ, I know this is from a couple of pages ago but ...

Aussie said:
If you stick with gassless though i strongly
urge you to get some anti spatter spray and/ or, heres a tip i found out only yesterday!...instead
of paying mega bucks (or geting a mate to thieve it from their work ) you can use normal
cooking oil as anti spatter agent, the stuff in an aerosol can you spray on your fry pan before cooking
cost 1/4 the price too and doesn't stink when you weld over it haha...
I normally use "BOC Weld-Guard" which is a water based anti spatter, costing about $11 for 750ml. Well I thought I would try your tip tonight and it works great. Even smells better, like chips cooking - made me hungry. And to ensure my weld was 'healthy', I used cholesterol free :lol:

Thanks for the tip mate

Cheers,
GT

Recumpence wrote:
My guess is a 5% reduction in output through the tranny.

Is that what you see in your 2 stage reductions Matt? 5% Seems a little high but could easily be correct using the gates belts. (I abandond those for size & cost considerations). we have the test rig assembled & slowwly getting worked in for some real measurments.

Amber wolf: you should have it any day....sent it (finaly :oops: )mid week last. I will pm you an adress if you want to part with that reader & thanks.

It should loose a percent in a half or so per power transfer stage, plus whatever associalted bearing or shift hub related drag (which will not be torque based, so efficiency % increases as throttle is decreased, but still were talking minor stuff here). 5% seems like a reasonable estimate. Remember, a normal car/bike drivetrain is pissing away >9-15% in losses. Being a non oil-bath 2-spd with reasonable (not extremely small) sprocket tooth counts makes this one about as efficient as it can be.

Dropping 5% efficiency in favor of having the ability to crawl at lower speeds or up hills with the motor cranking higher RPMs (and not needing to sacrific top speed to do it) will definately give back that 5% and more in system efficiency in real world use IMO.

Plus, of couse the ultra cool factor of a tranny! And a dog tranny(my favorite type) at that!

Glad it worked for you GT :)

Thud, i forgot to ask too, i have a largish tin full of graphite powder, wondering if it could be used inside the 2 speed
box, its super fine and would be easy(er) to contain within the box over oil...just t a thought anywayz mate...

::waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:: ::CLUNK:: :: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:: :mrgreen:

Luke, my Turnigy's end plate is getting the anodize treatment also :lol: nice blue colour instead of the
gold on the stock motor... cheers for that Thud, definitely will look the shizz mate...Its all about the wank
value Luke..carbon fiber polished anodize alloys and chrome babee :p

KiM

[youtube]NSGJQXln5ak[/youtube]

is this blue good?
worse than low def.....no def...really need to spring for a canera LOL

Hell yes !! Thats excellent Thud :D Blue is my preferred colour
over gold so any blue would do, that looks the ducks nuts mate
both drive and turnigy in matching bluuuue will look trick, and i'll have the only Blue
Turnigy...oh wait....Thud can make as many as he likes HAHA well one of the only blue Turnigys ;)

Thanks Thudster excellent work buddy

KiM

Thud said:
Amber wolf: you should have it any day....sent it (finaly :oops: )mid week last. I will pm you an adress if you want to part with that reader & thanks.
It arrived:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=303760#p303760

PM'd about the reader.

Chain Lubrication.......I dont think the dry powders have the ability to get between the pins & plates to function properly as a lubrcation. If the chain was assembled from day 1 with graphite ingregnation then maybe.
These #25 chains are loaded well into their working range & I recomend a comercial spray motorcycle chain lube.

I posted my chain maintanice regiment in a tread in the tech section:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19759&p=288608&hilit=chain+lube#p288608

given this 2 speed wil be effectivly closed a simple squirt of your favorite lube will keep it happy & you can wipe the fling off from the inside covers if it starts to build up.

Fizban said:
hmmm it has been a long time between updates, must mean he is hard at work in the shed. Can't wait to see the results.

Afraid not mate, all i can do at this point is wait, need the forks here so i can see what other alterations need to be made to the frame to get the rake i am looking for. I have also re-thought my initial decision to alter the top two tubes, the more i see the frame the more it has grown on me, the rear however needs slight adjustment, somehow i have come up 1/4in too high on the slots in the dropouts, this pushes the wheel up too high in relation to the seat tube bend i.e the tire is closer to the seat tube at the top compared to the bottom, obviously a quick fix would be to fill the slots with weld and re-slot new ones 1/4in lower, those that know me know well, that wont be the way i fix it haha...have ample material to bend 4 new tubes up and cut 2 new dropouts and rectify the mistake, im still not sure how it happened as the frame wasn't moved from the jig and when I last checked the positioning of the dropout/wheel positioning, it was correct...another one of those 'unsolved mystery's' that surely rates up next to Hyenas marriage...too a female! :mrgreen:

I have picked up some catalyst for the fiberglassing and hardner for the body filler so i can move onto the contruction of the enlosurer(s) as soon as the frame has been finalized though, I have my fingers crossed the forks will be here tomorrow, the seller didn't get them away Friday as promised, he "didn't have my full address" fact its on the damn receipt he sent me seemed to have slipped his mind somehow...seems a genuine fella so not concerned ....yet.

Have had updates from Thudster on the proceedings also, hall sensors and a modded Infineon are being tested, shall report back on this or Thudster will when he knows if the controller will hold up to the demands of the motor...

KiM

p.s full throttle...i have been roaming the streets over the weekend and last few days, council rubbish collection in my immediate suburb and surrounding suburbs for next month or so. Will have some good scores t report soon.

sorry to hear about that you had problems. Could it have been something as simple as not having a tyre on the rim when you were working out the dropout positions that things out ? Sounds like a simple mistake that I have made somewhere along the line. Except I was mounting a replacement motor on a on a mower without having the blades on the plate when I took the measurements. Looked good at first but was really tight clearance when I put the blades on. I am sure you will get it sorted and after seeing your previous work you will somehow make it look even better.

Forks finally arrived late this afternoon, in excellent condition very
pleased, couple of snaps of the forks loosely sitting in the headtube
of the frame.

IMG_5708.jpg

IMG_5710.jpg

I have also scored some paint from my good buddy Snapper to paint the frame
two pac black babee... :lol:

Back with some frame mods soon...

KiM

NIICE! I give you credit, you ARE fast! Nice style too!

Back