Descendence Astro 3220 mid drive build

im officially putting an end to this project- the controller set fire today.

i had the three gears shifting under load with the half link chain nicely- i just off-throttled, shifted and throttled back on just as you would a motorbike and it was perfect. had it geared at 40 55 and 70 km/hr; the 40 gear was awesome for accelleration and the top gear was fast enough for fire-tracks. nothing was stripping, bending, cracking or snapping...then bam controller bursts into flames.

im over it, i cant keep throwing money at this thing. i could have just bought a pretty good second hand 250cc bike for what i've spent on it. ill part out the bike and sell any of it if anyone wants anything-

astro 3220 with tangent drive, steel running gear, 40:1 reduction $1200
CAv3- $100
4x16ah 6c Multistar lipo's, wired and in aluminium box, about 25 charge cycles- $300
feathermerchant 24v 69a power supply $150
turnigy mega 1344w 40a charger $100
freewheel trials cranks $80
Revox rear shock, 450lb spring, 9.5x3.5" stroke, re-valved $80

if anyone wants the frame i'll consider selling that also

wheels, forks and running gear not for sale (im gonna build up my old DH frame again and just ride that, at least it didnt break every ride).

That's a huge shame, which controller were you using?

I also had one fizzle out in a minor fire between my legs...that was a Castle HV160

Sorry, just saw you were using the 160 too. Mine seemed to have been a water ingress issue.

I grabbed a talon 120 as per Daves suggestion and was pointed toward ACF50 by another member on here for water proofing. Coated everything in that heavenly stuff and have had no problems since and she has been in thick mud up the hubs and hosed down...still working without fireworks.

Maybe a time away from the project and some acf50 will turn this around.

@Ham- thats cool, i'll look up the ACF50.

it was kinda muddy out there when i was riding (winter is still hanging around in perth...), its obviously a possibility that the controller just got full of mud.

so you're actually using a smaller controller than your original HV160? thats quite interesting. no probs then? done many km with it?

out of interest, are you using a 3220 or a 3210? sorry if you're posted that already btw.

madm3chanic said:

it was kinda muddy out there when i was riding (winter is still hanging around in perth...), its obviously a possibility that the controller just got full of mud.

so you're actually using a smaller controller than your original HV160? thats quite interesting. no probs then? done many km with it?

out of interest, are you using a 3220 or a 3210? sorry if you're posted that already btw.

madm3chanic said:

I had tried liquid tape on the 160 to weather proof it as here in England no matter what time of year there is always mud and puddles around but that obviously didn't work as it relied on being air tight bu it seems this ACF50 relies on magic :)

The controller seems to handle it all just fine so far, I believe I have about 500 miles or so on it now. I think Dave has used both the 120 and acf50 now with success. I would prefer the 160 back but it seems a waste of money at this stage whilst it is still working.

I have been using the 3220 from the start (Dave tells me I was the first in Europe to run that kit).

Just yesterday I went out with friends on a 30 mile run and hung with them just fine in the twisty stuff...although I did avoid the really deep puddles and bogs:)

These systems are like running a Ferrari, if everything is just right, they are awesome! But, they are sensitive. Care must be taken in setup and protection of the controller.

Matt

Back