RC mid-drive build from scratch. 80100, HV160, aim = 40mph+

A little more slow progress today. Cut the gearbox mount in half, squared up both sides on the milling machine, bored out the large centre holes using the offset chuck on the lathe, drilled the smaller holes, drilled the gearbox, and tapped the rest of the holes. Just need to drill and tap the actual mounting holes now.

I have been ploughing on with this most days. Eeeeeverything takes longer than expected! Those sprockets were so hard, I had to take 0.2mm cuts. Also re-terminated the motor in wye. Had to burn the enamel off the wires then scrape every single strand

Here is the modified, re-terminated motor, with larger bearings, and about 8mm shorter than standard

This is the pedal freewheel

bored for one way bearing:

This is the original swingarm pivot, bored for bearings for my jackshaft (2 each side):

bearings in:

Sprocket to drive rear wheels:

Almost done

Spare gearbox input sprocket

CNC drawings:

Cutting frame:

Other side and motor mount:

Plasma cut other side plates:

Next job, building wheels:

Spent today trying to get used to the cycle analysts and controller settings. Still lots of work to do to get it right

looks like it's coming along well....

I would advise against doing too much bench testing with the settings of the CC HV160 and CA as thats what I did but as soon as you mount everything and connect it all up it all behaves differently. My advice would be to have a look on this http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/e-b...rfect, clean windings ready to be soldered!!!

Machines are good but we are very limited on time! I did read about that trick with the aspirin, but also read it's toxic and stinks! Got it off in the end anyway :) Frame box taking shape:

Tacked in place:

Welded up:

:D

wow....
Cannot wait to see this build running!!!!
Welds seems really well performed!!!!

love the milling ,you must have some big kit to play with .x2 on the cant wait to see it finished

Hey Sellick,

Tell what is happening? The thread was gettibg really juicy and there's some nice work going on with this but whats happened?

Sorry guys! Finished the bike very very close to my deadline, and had to write my 105-page report on it before last week! All finished and had my last exam on Monday :) I love the bike! It's been such hard work, but it was worth it. It's very fast, responsive, and rides really nicely. The total weight, with batteries is 27kg - just 8kg more than the standard bike, and half the weight of a Stealth bomber! I calculated the centre of gravity, and it's pretty much dead central front to back, and 50cm from the floor. The bike has been a huge success, and it looks like I'm going to get a 1st and I've been asked to do the Masters course after the bike was revealed at the project exhibition day!

Unfortunately I am now selling the bike as an ongoing project, because I want to travel over the summer :( I will get an advert up in the classifieds shortly. I managed to short the battery on the shunt (being silly), and it sparked and burnt my hand! Here are some photographs!:

Thanks very much for the kind comments guys! I will try to upload a video ASAP! Thanks again :)

Unfortunately need to sell this now because it's not getting used :( willing to entertain decent offers! I will get some more info up on here ASAP

Really? You came this far & now you have to abandon this remarkable project? I'm sure your reasons are personal & much more important, I hope it all works out well for you. I have been watching this build since you started & it saddens me to see it end like this.
Without insulting you w/an offer, could you give me an idea on what kind of money your looking to get for it?

Back in the UK now and unfortunately really need to sell this :( I'll get some new photos up asap. It needs a few little jobs sorting which I'm hoping to do over the next few weeks, but I really don't have the time. If anyone fancies taking on the project beforehand I'd be open to offers :(

Wow that's too bad Selick. Such a beautiful bike made with a lot of love! If I only had enough time I would love to take the complete frame without the electronics. But I don't have enough time to maintain 1 bike, let alone 2 bikes. :roll:

Beautiful build though, with a very well engineered frame!

Thank you Byte, I really appreciate the kind comments! Sent you a PM.

Here are a few more photos of the bike, looking in a bit of a sorry state sat in my kitchen! This is not where this bike belongs, somebody save it! :lol: As you can tell, I am no photographer.

You never mentioned what gearbox you were using. I'm looking at the neugarts and if there is something better I'd appreciate knowing.

Hi dirkdiggler. Sorry for the slow response. The gearbox is an Apex Dynamics unit. About 3 times stronger than the Neugarts if I recall correctly (and more compact). Also unfortunately about 3 times the price. Check out my 'for sale' posts for more details. This bike is up for £2,000 ono. It is an ongoing project, with plenty of improvements to be made!

Now home from my trip and planning the next one! Off to South East Asia so this really must go. I won't be in the UK for a substantial amount of time, so unfortunately it makes no sense to keep it :(

Please message for any more information. I will try to get down to the bike and do some work on it as soon as possible!

Kind regards, Jamie

Back