E-S LMX 64 Bike Owners

Merlin said:
as much nice as a left-side-drive is.
the downside is you cant change gears to help the motor staying cool(er)

if you was on 14T front, switch to 12T. difference in climibing should be very noticeable.
Well I'll be switching to the belt drive once that arrives...think it's equivalent of 14T though.

Adam, is there any 12T front sprockets for the belt kit?

Cheers

The belt kit is 14 to 116t, so equivalent to the stock 12-100t. Do you have the 14t on right now? It makes a big difference from 12t and should be limited to non mountain areas. We even produced 120t sprokets for some Alps crazy lmx owners that crave for low speed technical 1500m+ climbs :lol: they overheat everything lol, even the nucular gets too hot then.

Adam

Its crazy to see these pictures from a forum member, and i must say its hard to comprehend the extent of these fires.. Glad you are safe though! I overheated the motor once so that it went into thermal protection mode. I put a 1mm sheet of thermal pad between the motor and frame to help transfer heat from motor to frame. Never overheated again, but then again i also switched to 12t motor cog..

Anyways, i'm very happy to see that the development of the LMX is still in progress. Before deciding on the LMX64 i concidered the exess bikes, but seeing this continous development makes me glad i did the right choice. I'm very curious to see whats happening behind the scene and love that you are experimenting with new controllers, belt drive, etc. Will you also test the Asi bac/nxt controller/display in addition to the silixcon controller?
To be honest i'm not a huge fan of the belt drive looks, but if it proves itself better, lighter and more silent then the chain, then i will switch. I realize that this is a prototype, but I do think it would look better with black anodised belt guide, washers, bolts nuts, tension roller, etc.

As Merlin says, the motor don't get the gears with a left side drive. I previously ran a bbshd with a 14 gear IGH, and i never really liked the change in motor torque when changing gears. With the 64 the torque is always the same which is very predictable.

TorEddy said:
Anyways, i'm very happy to see that the development of the LMX is still in progress. Before deciding on the LMX64 i concidered the exess bikes, but seeing this continous development makes me glad i did the right choice. I'm very curious to see whats happening behind the scene and love that you are experimenting with new controllers, belt drive, etc. Will you also test the Asi bac/nxt controller/display in addition to the silixcon controller?
To be honest i'm not a huge fan of the belt drive looks, but if it proves itself better, lighter and more silent then the chain, then i will switch. I realize that this is a prototype, but I do think it would look better with black anodised belt guide, washers, bolts nuts, tension roller, etc.

Toreddy what made you choose the LMX 64 over the Exess hp-e180? I am just about to order my LMX 64 and originally was looking at an excess.

What type of climbing are you guys doing to over heat the motor. Are you using only throttle? or Peddle assist as well?

bzhwindtalker said:
Do you have the 14t on right now?
Yeah I do...I didn't realise how much of a difference it makes.

I guess the belt drive for me will be solving two problems at once then if it's a 12T equivalent. :D
Those 120t sprockets sound good for me also...I live in/near the Australian alps so do similar sort of things. I will see how I go with the 12T equivalent belt first though.

Simonten said:
TorEddy said:
What type of climbing are you guys doing to over heat the motor. Are you using only throttle? or Peddle assist as well?
As above, I'm mainly riding around the mountains around Canberra. Some pretty steep stuff around here and part of the reason I bought the LMX. My other bike (Stealth Fighter) just overheats instantly on the mountains around here.

Cheers

Simonten said:
TorEddy said:

Toreddy what made you choose the LMX 64 over the Exess hp-e180? I am just about to order my LMX 64 and originally was looking at an excess.

My mind was 100% set on the exess when the lmx64 came along, and i did use some time to convince myself that lmx was the right choice. I really liked the exess for it's looks, stealth, cf frame and good equipment, but i had a feeling that exess company lacked some enthusiasm and i also never saw a third party review of the bike, so i was a bit worried the company might just dissapear.
The Bafang ultra max never really catced on either and had some mixed reviews.
I made a fb es 'poll' between the bikes, and 'everybody' said go for the LMX64, because then you know you get a bike built and tested by enthusiasts who have made several ebikes before, and development will continue.
Also the simplicity and function of the dual drivtrain felt right. I hated the ghost pedaling of my bbshd, and was afraid it would be similar on the ultra max. When i realized i could spec the bike with the equipment i wanted, i was sold!

My only overheat was with 14t cog, low rpm on a long rocky climb with throttle only in full power mode. I would not worrry about this.

Thanks TorEddy

I first made my mind up on getting the Exess frame and building a bike before I found out about LMX 64. You owners seem really happy with the bike and Adam has answered a million of my questions. I prefer to support a small passionate company with innovation.

Cowardlyduck said:
My LMX 64 has finally met it's match! I will have to make a video of it, but I tried riding it up a local hill I had never considered rideable...and I guess it still isn't. I'm talking over 30 degree's steep with many large, loose rocks. I can barely walk up it, so it's not exactly a fair test, but I just wanted to see if the LMX could do it.

Hey CD, maybe we could meet up and get some video trying to conquer that big hill? sounds like you're describing Tuggeranong Hill?

Also be a good chance for me to check out your LMX

briangv99 said:
Hey CD, maybe we could meet up and get some video trying to conquer that big hill? sounds like you're describing Tuggeranong Hill?

Also be a good chance for me to check out your LMX
Hey Brian, definitely we should catch up again, I'm keen. :)
Not talking about Mt Tuggers...that would be easy (although longer) compared to the front face of Urambi hill:
https://goo.gl/maps/F5SXMEghGVTwF3GR9
This hill is very slow and steep. Any hub motor has no chance, but I thought that the mid just might...maybe it will once I switch to the belt '12T' setup.

I'll PM you Brian. :)

Cheers

I bet its a Silixcon Controller! I know the sound of switching modes from the Electric Motion Trials Bikes which use those controllers :wink:

Very interesting video Adam! Both a better softstart for difficult situations, and also better torque respond in pas would make this bike even better!
I hope the new controller/display will be available as an upgrade with a reasonable price for excisting LMX64 owners.

Cowardlyduck said:
Thanks for the update Adam.

My belt kit arrived today. :D
DSC_5894.JPG

Hopefully I can install it before the weekend and get some testing in with Brian. :)

Cheers

Look forward to hearing how it goes CD
I just ordered mine frame kit

Simonten said:
Look forward to hearing how it goes CD
I just ordered mine frame kit
I'm pleased to report it went well!

I'll be following up with a few video's...when I find time to edit them, but overall it's gone really well.

The belt is about 10db quieter as measured, which is the same as Adam's findings and helps a lot, but an unexpected change is the improvement in the type of sound rather than it's volume reduction.

This thing sounds like the future!

It's hard to describe and I'm not sure it will be picked up well on video, but unlike the harsh rattling of the chain, the belt sound is much more muffled and 'electric' sounding. It is almost a pleasant sound, kind of how some car exhaust notes sound good to car lovers, this sound is the equivalent for electric vehicle lovers like myself and makes me feel like I'm riding the future every time I hear it. :D

Anyway, the true test will come with time and kms, but for now it's working well, no teeth slipping and only a few minor issues I've fed back to Adam already.

Cheers

Thanks CD

Really appreciate the feed back. I hope the belt does hold up over time. It sounds really promising. Looking forward to your vids

As I am only 1 of the 4 to have this belt kit I want also to give my opinion.
The belt drive was installed in 1 hour.
The guide ring was painted black to look nicer.
The noice reduction is massive. I am using professional equipment and measure 75db at 1meter. Mode 3 full throttle.
It’s close to not hearable. Riding around the garden, was as if, I was on a push bike.
Here are some photos. I like the design and I think the improvement is worth it.
Time will tell, but I can’t see it wearing out quickly.
I have also fed back information to Adam and Lucas to improve the set up.

Attachments

• 8D9E55F6-FFF1-4FE9-AD72-54E858290297.jpeg
    8D9E55F6-FFF1-4FE9-AD72-54E858290297.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 3,219
  • B35D3ED4-FC48-4836-B66D-804FCC674B18.jpeg
    B35D3ED4-FC48-4836-B66D-804FCC674B18.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 3,219
  • 88B95FD7-5922-4AFF-ADC5-5A78F0164FD8.jpeg
    88B95FD7-5922-4AFF-ADC5-5A78F0164FD8.jpeg
    18.3 KB · Views: 3,219
no doubt it will be silence :thumb:
will be good to see how it performs in harsh off road riding condition , mud, rocks, etc...
a belt guard might also help

Thanks joe for the update, im really pleased to hear the noise reduction is so good. I just ordered my LMX 64 at the end of last week and i really hope the belt drive works long term.

Thnaks for the updates. We now have 4 kits assembled on bikes and working with GREAT and constructive feedback. Did not get confirmation for the 5th yet ;)

Adam

Will you be making more kits soon? When is the next batch?

bzhwindtalker said:
Thnaks for the updates. We now have 4 kits assembled on bikes and working with GREAT and constructive feedback. Did not get confirmation for the 5th yet ;)

Adam

Better late than never!
I've actually done several rides on the belt now as reported above, but here is the install video anyway. :)

[youtube]UN__5aHrcUY[/youtube]

There is still a few outstanding issues with it I will mention. I'm still working with Adam to try and figure both of these out and confident we can, but just mentioning them here for transparency and to see if anyone has any ideas.

The outside rear sprocket guide scrapes on the top of the belt guide. I think it will eventually stop this on it's own as it wears away either the guide plastic or the outer edge of the aluminium sprocket guide. I've tried manually bending them away from each other, but it doesn't seem to help.

The other issue is my speed seems to have dropped more than it should. My cruising speed at 100% is now around 40kph where as before it was 50-55kph. I knew the drop from 14T to 12T equivalent would drop the speed, but not this much. I actually don't mind that much as it keeps me out of trouble, but I do want to make sure my motor is running as smoothly and efficiently as possible and I'm wondering if my settings are wrong with it.

If anyone has any idea's I would love to hear them.

Cheers

Thanks for the update and the video. The sound does sound a lot better, the top speed decrease sounds too much if the belt drive is the equivalent to the 12t front sprocket with the chain. It'll be interesting to see what are the beta testers have found in this regard.

Hi everyone,

Question about the battery and the charge indicator:
(Battery is in state fully charged)

From time to time, when I turn the bikes battery on, a red led and one green led lights up and I can't power the bike on with the power switch on the handlebar. When I turn the battery off and on again, three green leds lit up and I can start the bike.

Does anyone recognize this and know what the problem is?

Back