E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Rodney64 said:
Thanks QMS I'm in south Australia each January for the ride to cure diabeties
Just missed you then. Give us a hoy via private mail if you would like to check it out sometime.

Does anyone make a larger chainring for the Suntour Vboxx 9 speed gear box?

I just installed a 15T freewheel but would like to peddle at higher speeds.

If it would hit the Bomber frame I could space it as well as the 15T.

Kepler said:
That is some great range CD. That is a very respectable average speed too for that sort of economy.

Looks like your regen was worth 2km in total. Doesn't sound like much but try pushing the 2 km :cry: not much fun. Also I am tipping you didn't use your hyrdo's much on the ride so thats a good thing too.

Thanks Kepler. I was pedalling casually/moderately the whole way, but wasn't overdoing it by any means. For comparison, I did the same ride on my sub 10kg Roadie a couple of years back and it took me over 4hours and nearly killed me. :lol:

Rix said:
There a little plug on the inside of the Schlumpf. Should be white or silver. Schlumpf recommends changing the oil/re-greasing 2 two times a year. The noise may becoming from foreign debris or old coagulated grease.
Likewise, thanks for the info Rix. It may well be foreign debris as the aluminium chain guard was severely rubbing on the chain for some time before John helped me realise I could just bend it out. The chain made huge grooves in the chain guard and sent aluminium filings everywhere, so it wouldn't surprise me if some made there way inside the Schlumpf.
I still need to do some more troubleshooting to pinpoint the noise further...just to make absolutely sure it is the Schlumpf and not my freewheel. I think I'll wait till after I get my rear derailleur set-up fitted as that will eliminate the freewheel possibility.

Rix said:
I am thinking about using Royal Purple gear oil. Super slick stuff, last 3 times longer than other oils. Let me know what you find out about your 2 Speed crank noise.
I have some Purple Extreme. Is that the same stuff?

Will let you know what it ends up being.

Cheers

Hello CD,
I went to the Extreme Purple website. It has similiar claims. Super slick, high shear strength shear film rating. I am thinking its the same stuff. I run Royal Purple 10-40 in my KTM 450. It loves it. Its rated for engines that share the engine and tranny oil. I'm betting it will be excellent for the Schlumpf planatery gear set up. When I get the figther, I will post the details after I do the first service on the Schlumpf. Just wondering, was that your pic of the chain guard rubbing on the chain earlier in this forum? I think the rider said he thought it was normal friction (not verbatim). That bash guard was mared pretty good. Anyway good luck with multi gear conversion. Let us know how you like it. Rubber side down,

Rix

Rix said:
Just wondering, was that your pic of the chain guard rubbing on the chain earlier in this forum? I think the rider said he thought it was normal friction (not verbatim). That bash guard was mared pretty good.

Yeah that was mine. Don't remember saying it was from normal friction, I definitely don't' think it was normal. It was from the chain ring sitting too close to the guard, which caused the links in the chain to gauge out the guard.
John sent me a replacement after that, along with some longer bolts and extra washers, but the second one did the same to a lesser extent. I didn't bother getting another replacement after that since it's only on the inside so can't really be seen and I was able to bend it out using a spanner to stop it continuing to happen.

Cheers

I hear you guys on the Wiki, have something in the wings that I'm working on which might fit the bill. Will let you all know when I've got it a bit more established. Good to see a few more Antipodeans posting in here, just remember to go with the dealer closest to your location.

I'm getting ready to get along to the Royal Easter Show on 11 April 2012 as a guest of the NSW EV Association, let me know if you're Sydney based and likely to swing by for a chat. As usual, threw in some hours to do a shakedown, grabbed some video with the kind assistance of a photographer friend.

One for the group: http://youtu.be/D8PbM9PZDUw with a chance to do some slower, steeper and technical riding. Most of the log riding was done without throttle to keep it nice and stable..

[youtube]D8PbM9PZDUw[/youtube]

Cowardlyduck said:
Some really nice little tracks through there, Hyena, you should check em out :D
Been out there a few times :) Heres one of my earlier vids from out near the end http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x050pQTdu8 (on my hardtail, not fighter)
and I thought I'd posted another one out along the cliffs but it seems I didnt!
I distinctly remember making it because I rode right up to the very edge of the cliff, but I can't find it in my youtube channel now... :?
Great range though, did you have a sore tail after it ?
The furthest I've been in one stint is 60km

I really want to buy one of these but the thing that is holding me back is that,
1. bomber or Fighter.
2. Can it climb hills?

Most of the vids are on terrain that is flat, anyone have any hill climbing footage?

I live in Austin Texas, USA its hilly and Rocky, ant technical... what ya all think?

natedog said:
I really want to buy one of these but the thing that is holding me back is that,
1. bomber or Fighter.
2. Can it climb hills?

Most of the vids are on terrain that is flat, anyone have any hill climbing footage?

I live in Austin Texas, USA its hilly and Rocky, ant technical... what ya all think?

Depends what you mean by hills really. I regularly climb hills on mine but not mountains. You would need to keep an eye on the temp of the hub if you rode up hill for mile after mile.

The gearing of the bomber does help as you can stick in a low gear and pedal hard, this really helps the motor. The higher voltage of the bomber does allow for more grunt but the fighter is more mountain bike like which helps for manoeuvring.

Paul_G said:
Does anyone make a larger chainring for the Suntour Vboxx 9 speed gear box?

I just installed a 15T freewheel but would like to peddle at higher speeds.

If it would hit the Bomber frame I could space it as well as the 15T.

Didn't d logic post about one on a bomber within the last 20 pages?

Justtoby said:
natedog said:
Depends what you mean by hills really. I regularly climb hills on mine but not mountains. You would need to keep an eye on the temp of the hub if you rode up hill for mile after mile.

They are defiantly short hills but tend to be very steep, 100-300 feet. On a normal mountain bike a lot of time I have to hike and carry. On a motorcycle no prob getting to the top.. But Carrying/pushing a 70-118 pound bike, real hard...

Do you think the weight difference on the bomber makes a big difference in handling single track, maneuvering, etc. Seems like it is a lot more capable but the weight is significantly different. What do you ride? I won't have the ability to test one so any input you can give I really appreciate.

natedog said:
Justtoby said:
natedog said:

They are defiantly short hills but tend to be very steep, 100-300 feet. On a normal mountain bike a lot of time I have to hike and carry. On a motorcycle no prob getting to the top.. But Carrying/pushing a 70-118 pound bike, real hard...

Do you think the weight difference on the bomber makes a big difference in handling single track, maneuvering, etc. Seems like it is a lot more capable but the weight is significantly different. What do you ride? I won't have the ability to test one so any input you can give I really appreciate.

The bomber is a lot lighter than a motorbike so easy to handle on single track, if you would have to carry a mountain bike rather than push it then no elec bike will do it IMO, but I can ride up a steep hill at 20mph that might have me get off my mountain bike and push. I ride my bomber off road all the time.

If you can ride a motorbike up the hill then a bomber should go up it, it is just not wise to flog a hub motor flat out up a hill for too long as it could cook the motor.

I wouldn't say that the bomber is all that more capable than a fighter, just a bit more powerful and slightly more flexible as greater range of gears.

natedog said:
1. bomber or Fighter.
2. Can it climb hills?

Hmmm. If it's more hilly than technical, I'd say Bomber. If it's more technical than hilly, I'd say Fighter. They can both fly up steep hills.

Here's a short hill climb on the Bomber, 10% average grade, 16% maximum.

[youtube]JADWHb6OyLM[/youtube]

Hyena said:
Been out there a few times :) Heres one of my earlier vids from out near the end http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x050pQTdu8 (on my hardtail, not fighter)
and I thought I'd posted another one out along the cliffs but it seems I didnt!
I distinctly remember making it because I rode right up to the very edge of the cliff, but I can't find it in my youtube channel now... :?
Great range though, did you have a sore tail after it ?
The furthest I've been in one stint is 60km
Cool. :) I've ridden out on the wetlands before as well. I remember getting badly bogged last time I went out there on my hard-tail Norco Bigfoot (non-electric).
The area I went is here.
I did have a bit of a sore butt when I got to Kurnell, after the first 40k, then I put my seat up much higher for the ride back and it was sooooo much better. I think I need to get one of those seat post droppers eventually, but I'm not sure how it would work with my seat post mounted mud guard and hydration pack.

natedog said:
1. bomber or Fighter.
2. Can it climb hills?

I ride my Fighter up several 10%+ grade hills and one 15%+ grade every day on my commute to work.
On the day's that I don't pedal much and it's warm, the motor covers can get to 70C by the time I get to work. According to John @ Stealth, this is OK though, and he hasn't had anyone claim warranty for a failed motor due to overheating from normal riding apart from my little misadventure on the sand (which is why riding on sand is no longer covered).

I'd say the Fighter would be your best bet as it's lighter weight greatly assists it in getting up the hills using less power, and if you want you can add a derailleur like several others have and I plan on doing soon.
Chuck a couple of temp stickers on the covers like I did to check that it's not getting too hot, and there's always the warranty if it does fail from normal riding.

Cheers

Has everyone seen this already?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170812784741?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1202

Hi All,
can someone give me an address for quietrush / stealth in melbourne to send a bike to have some work done on it, the bike is out of warranty and i want the regen put on it and a service/check over but cant seem to find an actual office address?
cheers

senilespeedteam said:
Hi All,
can someone give me an address for quietrush / stealth in melbourne to send a bike to have some work done on it, the bike is out of warranty and i want the regen put on it and a service/check over but cant seem to find an actual office address?
cheers

There may be somewhere closer. Send them an email at:

info@stealthelectricbikes.com

senilespeedteam said:
Hi All,
cheers

Hi senilespeedteam. You can call John on 0395740257 or email him on info@stealthelectricbikes.com.au He doesn't advertise his address so he get work done otherwise there would be a line out the door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers for the info, i think they must all be asleep a moment though?? do they deffinatley have a premises/ workshop in the melbourne area?? as need to get the bike shipped from Bright to them asap so if you can pm me an address that would be a great help so i can get the courier to pick it up and get things moving. has anybody else had any service work done by the factory or is there a dealer i can send it too in victoria/ melbourne area that can give it a going over and fit the regen stuff ??
Thanks again

senilespeedteam said:
cheers for the info, i think they must all be asleep a moment though?? do they deffinatley have a premises/ workshop in the melbourne area?? as need to get the bike shipped from Bright to them asap so if you can pm me an address that would be a great help so i can get the courier to pick it up and get things moving. has anybody else had any service work done by the factory or is there a dealer i can send it too in victoria/ melbourne area that can give it a going over and fit the regen stuff ??
Thanks again

Stealth' factory is in Springvale Melbourne. Give John a call in the morning and he will be able help you with with all your needs :mrgreen:

kiqnkf said:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170812784741?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1202

senilespeedteam said:
Hi All,
cheers

Methinks the above two are related!

About the ebay listing:

Contacted seller (Theo) via phone, who said:
Bomber #42
Selling due to arthritis
Using his partner's eBay account to sell
Wanted at least $6000
Scratch on swingarm
High torque version
Gets about 24km range (up mountain)

Emailed seller with a few questions a few days ago, specifically about battery. Unanswered. That was enough for me to decide not to bid.

competitions said:
kiqnkf said:

senilespeedteam said:
Hi All,
cheers

Methinks the above two are related!

About the ebay listing:

Contacted seller (Theo) via phone, who said:
Bomber #42
Selling due to arthritis
Using his partner's eBay account to sell
Wanted at least $6000
Scratch on swingarm
High torque version
Gets about 24km range (up mountain)

Emailed seller with a few questions a few days ago, specifically about battery. Unanswered. That was enough for me to decide not to bid.

Yep, they're related, @senilespeedteam have already been in touch regarding resolving this issue off-forum by direct email. Doing this direct via Stealth will be easiest as they know the delta between Bomber 42 and current edition, so can advise on other upgrades that may have happened in the production runs since then. I'm happy to help, but Bright is closer to Melbourne than Canberra. Hope the seller has held onto his shipping crate if this is going to get to the UK.

Back