EV Tech had a Lipo incident

I think it's all proportional to what matters most to your personal interests.

Me, i live, eat, sleep , and everything else Ebikes.. so when i hear of a potential battery fire, regardless of chemistry, it gets my attention more than any other accident around.

My phone goes off the hook when anything on TV comes on regarding bicycles or electronics etc as all my friends and familiy know i'm obsessed with this stuff and take great interest in it. No one calls me if a propane tank blows up. :wink: Unless it's at a battery/bike dealers house.

I have lithium batteries on my kitchen table, and i charge them inside the house, do i worry about them ? sure i do. i think i should. but not enough to prevent me from enjoying the benefits of lithium power

ANY house fire is a horrible thing, no matter who or how..

Unfortunately I cant say on a forum about all the ebike battery cobalt lithium fires i'm aware of,
being in the 'biz' myself means dealing with other retailers puts me in a difficult position. But I can say its a big problem, its not a problem for technically minded people with a little knowledge on these things building there own packs etc, but for people buying ebikes with absolutely no idea about lithium chemistries etc
it is a problem. Weakness seems to be the bms boards and user mistakes.
The bms board side of things shouldn't be a problem now, but still is, as some retailers are just using badly designed boards.
I cant put any numbers on how many batteries are out there, what percentage of certain brands have caught fire etc etc. Its just information that is not available and will likely never be available. Lithiums reputation is already damaged there is no changing that, but making people aware of the potential risks of cobalt cells is worthwhile in my view.
The people who have had fires/ lost property/been injured would I think pretty much say there is a problem. The insurance companies and legal people involved with those accidents would pretty much say there is a problem.

solarbbq2003 said:
Unfortunately I cant say on a forum about all the ebike battery cobalt lithium fires i'm aware of,
being in the 'biz' myself means dealing with other retailers puts me in a difficult position.

Why not? What if the information you won't share were to prove critical to a consumer here making the choice not to buy a pack having components with a bad safety history?

I apologize for repeating myself but...

I would advise against buying or selling any battery that is sealed such that you cannot see the markings on the cells, or buying/selling any cells without markings and verified chemistry.

Russian Roulette, Lipo-style.

:(

so that means nobody knows what cells they are? or chemistry?

xyster said:
solarbbq2003 said:
being in the 'biz' myself means dealing with other retailers puts me in a difficult position.

Why not? What if the information you won't share were to prove critical to a consumer here making the choice not to buy a pack having components with a bad safety history?
I was thinking the same thing. We all come to this forum to exchange ideas and information. Even if it's information we don't want to hear (i.e. our favorite brand of battery turns out to be crap), it's better to feel the hard love than be blissfully unaware of danger.

TylerDurden said:
I apologize for repeating myself but...

I would advise against buying or selling any battery that is sealed such that you cannot see the markings on the cells, or buying/selling any cells without markings and verified chemistry.

Russian Roulette, Lipo-style.

:(

One in six packs don't go down in flames.
It's considerably less than that.
Or do you know something different?

Now you're just fanning the flames.

cyclone, wuxian and older crystalyte ( no idea about new crystalyte)
i did post previously those brands have had fires

BiGH,

I also wonder about it.
It had never been mentioned what kind of EVtech LiPoly are there.
Are they Cobalt type ?
Even specifications say just LIPOLY.
I completely agree with Tyler Durden agaist buying pack if cells cannot be
identified, particulary cells which has no markings, no manufacturer on them.
Any DEWalt pack can be easly opened and you can see A123 on them,
any Milwakee pack can be open and cells are clearly marked:
"made in Canada" in all production codes, type of cells easly checked on
Moli-One web site.
MC

some good news!
one chinese company will be using same raw materials as valence, and valences technology through an agreement between the two, should make valence cells more easily available , price might be high though. But at least something on par with a123 maybe another 6 months or so. An interesting tactic by valence.

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
One in six packs don't go down in flames.

So five in six packs do go down in flames? :twisted:

Back