From Trike to Bike....24 hours in the life of an Ebike

MikeFairbanks

100 kW
Well, the tale was told how I wrecked my E-Trike by driving it straight into a tree at 60mph.

Okay, divide that number by 4 or 5 and you get a more accurate version, but it's still a pretty good story.

I was going down hill at about 15mph, maybe a tad more, when I had to veer to my left. Then, almost as suddenly, I had to veer to the right, but the hill sloped down and to the right, so my right rear wheel lifted off the ground. I quickly jerked lightly left to bring it down, and in one split second I realized that I either had to turn sharply and do the Superman (go flying off the trike), or hit the big, old pine tree in front of me. I knew I was heading straight for the tree, and I only had hope of two outcomes: 1. The tree would catch on to the situation quickly and be good enough to get out of my way or, 2. I hit the tree and hope that I don't get killed, hurt, or worse.

Option 2 happened, and the trike hit the tree.

What happened next is a Phamous Pheat of Physics. The entire impact of the crash (remember, it was probably 70-80mph) was taken on the front fork of the tricyle. Now, I realize it wasn't really 80-90mph, but it must have been hard, because the battery (held into place with fairly thick twine and electrical tape attached and tied to metal L-brackets) broke loose and tumbled to the ground. The L-brackets (made of steel) were bent. The front fork bent back 90 degrees.

I'm telling you, it was a miracle of mahem, a marvel of metal. I don't know how it is that I only scraped my knuckles. I'm surprised I didn't go through someone's roof or end up in a swimming pool.

All the people of the park looked, screamed, ran for dear life (well, they looked, at least).

Anyway, the trike was toast, so I called my wife and she came to pick me up. I decided to bring the trike home, even though it failed me and didn't deserve a second look. Here's what it looked like next to the murderer (er, tree) And notice the battery pack on the ground, torn from the STEEL braces on the back platform

And please take note that the trike is about two feet back and to the right of the tree. That was where it came to rest after the impact, so it somehow bounced back there. I have hardly any memory of it. I might have hit my head. I don't know:

1238479252_XwKnW-XL.jpg

1238465820_9qmrw-XL.jpg

When I got home I grabbed a beer, sat in the rocking chair on the front porch, and went into deep thought about what I should do. I was taking pictures of my daughter and dog, when I tried to photograph my wife. She resisted and said, "give me that camera and we'll see how you like getting your picture taken."

Well, I'm ugly, so it don't matter to me if someone takes my picture. There is no good side. So she snapped a shot of me as I gave a goofy faux-angry look, and leaned back.

1240139477_TYvJJ-XL.jpg

Then the rocking chair broke, and I tumbled to the ground.

After that, I got out the tools and removed the front wheel and hub motor:

1240134926_weozC-XL.jpg

After taking off the entire kit, I threw it all in the garage and went to bed early. I woke up at 2:30 am, not knowing where I was (maybe I did hit my head on that stupid tree), and staggered to the kitchen for some Advil. I then went back to bed.

This morning my wife and youngest went out of town to visit a relative, so I set about doing what any responsible man does when left alone. I did the dishes, took out the trash, did some laundry.

No, wait...that must have been some other guy.

I plotted to get back on the horse, but had to decide how. Should I use my favorite bike, the Trek Pure? Hmmm. Nah, I like that bike a lot. Not going to throw a clunky SLA pack on it. I'll use that bike later when I can afford some real batteries.

Then, out of the corner of my eye is the 99-dollar, Chinese-made, piece o' crap Schwinn that died a long time ago and I somehow resurrected last summer by working hard on the gears. But it was missing a front wheel.

Wait a minute!!!

The trike can't hold a front wheel (bent forks) and the Schwinn from Wal-Mart has no front wheel.

I wonder......

So, I grabbed my kid, and went to Wal-Mart to get a rear rack for the bike. They didn't have any. They had a folding basket and some batteries for Barbie Jeeps, but no rear racks. Bastards! But they had zipties and electrical tape.

Next stop, Chili's. I had a hundred bucks in gift cards, so my oldest daughter and I pigged out on fried cheese, house salad, sirloin steak, potatoes, and mac n cheese. I had three or four cokes and she had a chocolate shake. It hurt to walk out of there.

Okay, on to the bike shop. I found a cheap rear rack: made in China (might as well....the rest of the bike was made there too).

I came home, installed the rear rack, attached the battery, attached the throttle, controller, other stuff, and then ziptied and taped it all together. I test drove it and it did alright, but the back tire had about ten pounds of air, so I only circled the block, came home, charged up the battery, and pumped up the tires. I went inside to cool off while letting the new ride charge and chill. I came back out about an hour later to a full charge (and tires full of air).

And here are the results: It rides true (the wheel wasn't bent. I don't know how the heck that happened...kudos to the guys at Eharmony.com.....er....Ebikekit.com for such a great kit).

The wheel spins true, the battery is still intact, everything works as it should, and now the trike has been magically transformed into a bike. It's pretty fun. I don't like the idea of SLA's back there, and the bike feels (not sure why :roll: ) about sixty pounds heavier than it used to, but it rides well and fast. Diggin' it.

So, a new beginning and a new adventure.

I just hope that this time the trees stay the heck out of my way.

Here's the new ride: Schwinn crappy steel bike from Wal-Mart. Steel forks, 36-volt SLA batteries (30 pounds of other stuff), 9-continent motor from Ebikekit.com and a bunch of other crap. It rides well. It's certainly not as nimble as my other bikes, but it goes good.

Note: Look at the torque arm. I drilled a hole in it and attached it to the fork with a strong bolt and locking nut. The fork had an extra hole, and the band that came with the torque arm couldn't fit around the fork, so I improvised, and it worked. Strong, steady, steeeeeeeeel!

Inertia is a property of matter.

1240147669_yEooY-XL.jpg

1240152429_PBDEn-XL.jpg

1240154018_B9ft3-XL.jpg

1240143120_DzTPf-XL.jpg

Finally, a slob well-done (er, a JOB well-done).

Rides great:

1240131819_Cn9FT-XL.jpg

DUDE THERE ARE MORE ELEGANT SOLUTIONS THAN BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE!!!!! Its ok for now. You are familiar with zip ties so I suggest you neatly fold up your cables and zip tie them in a neat bundle and ziptie them along the frame...

Good job Mike. :D

Remember all the time and questions when you were a noob planning and building the e-trike. And now, in one day, with no outside help, you have done a complete e-bike conversion!

So take it easy, make sure that front fork is up to the task, keep your nuts tight, and enjoy.

Great stories. I liked both of them. What kinda teacher are you. you can tell a good story.

I have a POS from WalMart, the wife likes it better than her Raleigh and I have a schwinn that is great with a 9c.

Drop the lead and you will really enjoy that ride!

As they sad make sure you check you nuts regularly (on the bike) nothing worse than loose nuts.

Keep writing and we will keep reading.
Great stuff.
Dan

Looks good to me, but I do recommend adding this to the rear rack:
1240143120_DzTPf-XL.jpg
Any steel tubing will do, even the legs off another rack, securely bolted to the eyelets on the rear dropouts at the bottom/back, and to the ones on the front of the rack at the top/front.

This will triangulate the sides better and give the rack more stiffness against the mass of the SLA (or anything else you put on it).

If you can also triangulate it laterally, even a little, like this:

It'll help with sidesway.

Cargo racks break with heavy stuff on them usually because they sway side to side until the metal fatigues and cracks, then comes apart under the next bump. :(

Triangulating them will help them not to sway as much (although to really work well, the triangulation would have to pass thru the wheel, which ain't gonna work, of course).

The rack will do for awhile, but the next step is to move that battery into the triangle. I think it will just fit. You can make a carrier for it out of an L shaped piece of 1/8 steel about 3-4 inches wide, which will bolt to the frame on the bottle carrier mounts. then strong straps can be used to tie the battery on to it.

Others report that method works great for carrying sla's in the triangle. Then your rack can get baskets or panniers for the cargo.

Love it that your crash didn't discourage you. Mine happend after about 6 weeks of riding. Broke both collarbones and could barely work at all for a year due to the additional damage that is still healing. People were apalled that I didn't stop riding. Actually, with the tore up shoulders, riding was one of the few things I still could do.

That schwinn is perfect for the riding you will be doing, where you live. Make changes to the handlebars if you need more comfortable ride position, and move the battery to the triangle. Look for a better seat too of couse.

I thought this was another front-motor fork failure, started to write my standard post about the risks of using front motors, but then I realized this was from a crash instead, so I'll shut up. :oops: :oops: :lol:

Impressive damage, glad you are OK! :D

joe tomten said:
The handlebars off the trike seem like they'd do just fine.

No, I'm going to rebuild the tricycle to it's factory specs. I have the original front wheel (which is thick like the back wheels) and all it needs is a new fork, which is forty bucks from Worksman.

The tricycle will be used as a utility vehicle in the school where I work. Plus, without the motor on it the students can ride it as much as they want on the playground (with helmet, of course) and work on it for learning purposes. It belongs to the school.

Now the motor kit, on the other hand, is going to stay in my possession for a while. I'll find out what the school wants me to do with it long-term, but since I'll be employed there next year, and will continue riding to work, it's fine for me to keep it on another bike.

I sure wish I hadn't hit that tree, however. The trike is fun. My mistake was just arrogance in riding. I was having so much fun that I just didn't take it slow around corners. I thought I had the trike wired. I probably, based on the way I was riding, crashed several times that day. I don't know how I avoided crashing before when I took other turns much faster.

I flew too close to the sun on wings of pastrami.

amberwolf said:
Looks good to me, but I do recommend adding this to the rear rack:
View attachment 1
Any steel tubing will do, even the legs off another rack, securely bolted to the eyelets on the rear dropouts at the bottom/back, and to the ones on the front of the rack at the top/front.

This will triangulate the sides better and give the rack more stiffness against the mass of the SLA (or anything else you put on it).

If you can also triangulate it laterally, even a little, like this:

It'll help with sidesway.

Cargo racks break with heavy stuff on them usually because they sway side to side until the metal fatigues and cracks, then comes apart under the next bump. :(

Triangulating them will help them not to sway as much (although to really work well, the triangulation would have to pass thru the wheel, which ain't gonna work, of course).

Thanks for the great tips. I'll get on that this week, since I'll be back to commuting by bike next week when I'm back at work/school.

Great ideas. Thanks again.

MikeFairbanks said:
don't know how I avoided crashing before when I took other turns much faster.

That's the thing with accidents - sometimes all it takes is a slight dip or bump in the road to introduce an entirely different result. Hell, just a strong gust of wind at the wrong time can lead to serious problems, particularly on upright rigs.

Glad you're unhurt and have a nice plan to go 2 wheeled. If you'll be riding with traffic 'strongly suggest motorcycle rider training or at least a thorough study and practice of defensive driving strategy and techniques. You can always practice that stuff while driving/riding any type of vehicle.

Whaddya got for battery? 3qty SLA? Man, that's a load for that or any rack. Even if reinforced as AW suggest I don't give it much longevity with those batteries. But you could hold 3X the range in Lipo without any additional reinforcement IMO.

Ride long and safe!

Hey, I have a question: Since folks are telling me to attach the battery inside the triangle, how easily can I do this in my own garage/shop. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but was wondering how much support I can expect from those two little screws intended to hold a water bottle.

Back