Giant DH Comp Drop Out adapters and conversion

hmm.
You perhaps could have wedged a screwdriver in the axle clamp to open it up a bit. It would seem there is some dimensional differences between different bikes. I had 2 swing arms here to try on each. Also check that the boss is square with the adapter plate, that the welding has not caused it to pull to one side a bit.

The gaps ok. Looks like the adapter has pulled right up.

Nice to see a bike in the vice.

kiwi, i've been a busy beaver trying to finish my build but just want to thank you for taking all the time you did to make this thing up! if you factored in your time, they should cost more like $1000, no?

it took a bit of work, but now that they're in, i feel so much more confident in the rear wheel than i ever have with my other rides.

thanks so much for the extra work, especially considering whatever challenges popped up in your life.
file.php

oh, btw, the adapter slots were about 9.6x wide? my 9C and hs3540 were about 9.85, so there was a little filing to do, and i found i could file both slots at the same time, ensuring the file was flat (instead of rounding the slot), and in the same line as the axle.

I received my drop-outs last night!

20 minutes of filing and grinding and they slipped right in!

Actually... my cro-motor slides in easier then my HS. Who woulda thought?

Thanks alot for all the hardwork Kiwi! The wait was WELL worth it!

Second lot of adapters have been cut. Moving in to my shop this week, so might be next week to put them together.

woooohooo! thanks kiwi I've been trying so hard to be patient :mrgreen:

Just in time too for me, My pannier rack snapped yesterday due to the battery weight on cheapy ebike build. Cant wait for the stability of the dh comp.

Kiwi said:
I did my best but hold no responsibility if you tear your bike and your self apart putting 15kw into a CroMotor or something silly like that.
I'd never hold you responsible, so rest easy.

Just thought you'd be glad to know the adapters are just fine after a little abuse :twisted: :
[youtube]ZAyD0NiH_eE[/youtube]
file.php

Thats awesome! Love your storm trooper son! Enjoy.
To others that are waiting, keep waiting.

Going to weld up second set of adapters tomorrow, all going well.

i dont have the skills or knowledge to do this but would it be possible to extend the dropouts 1 or 2 inches to make extended swingarms
or would that put too much strain on the three bolts that are holding the dropouts onto the swingarm. thinking of for high power applications so no wheelies

hmmm, horizontal dropout swingarm extension. I think it would kill the bolts. It would be a from scratch redesign.

Might be better to mount a battery on the front forks to keep the front down.

seems it's been a couple months and just checking in to say that i've been changing the wheel a lot lately, and am very pleased with how easy this adapter makes it.

i just flip the bike, loosen the axle bolts, remove pincher bolts - i have to wedge a screwdriver where the nut is to keep it from moving, but that works fine. then i draw the derailleur out of the way and wiggle the axle up and out. i really wish i had 150mm dropouts, that's for sure, and the only challenge is to make sure the disk doesn't bend against the side coming out, and spreading the frame a little bit to get the axle in.

hey dennis!
dnmun said:
greg, from that picture it looks like the threaded part of your axle is bent. i guess it is no matter now since the cover sheared off.
the bent axle is that of the hs3540, which strips easily and appears not to be very hard.

the sheered side cover is old rounded 9x7, hence the threaded flange. that 9x7 axle is very hard. i've been swapping them out over and over these last couple months, so sorry for making it confusing.

I made 5 more, but I think they are all accounted for.
Can do another run of 5.
Heres the order status

Second run (post this week)
6.moonshine -paid -shipped
7.shorza -paid-shipped
8.Steevetooke -Paid -shipped
9.Duc998 -Paid - shipped
10.pchen92 -paid -shipped

Third run (3-4 weeks)
11.Kiwi (me, one day I will have my bike running!)-not paid
12. Jeremy-NZ
13. Max Banks-NZ
14. Smedge

WARNING!! He who pays first gets first.

Kiwi,

Have you shipped the dropouts to the people leftover in the second run?

SWEET thanks shorza. I'm in the US so it should probably take a little longer for me. You haven't received yours yet? Even after a week? hmmm...

Back