GoldenMotor MP3 in Trek 2013 29er, great combo!

Nope it's not trash it's just the design it's trash.

The idea is good, but just how the build it is bad.
Controller is mounted nearby the axle and the fins design sucks water can easily travel into the controller housing.

As example of Tidal Force and EPLUS systems show internal controller inside DD motor can be done with great success even on true 1000W output motor.
Designed by STG Strategic Technology Group in USA with Rakesh Dwagan as lead enginner.
Of course this kind of design to NAmerican standards has all kind of protections.
You went for a ride in the deap snow and overheated? Impossible with TF to overheat or overvolt TF , it is called protection.
It is sustained 1000W power I talk about here. Heat sinking of power electronics MOSFETs is crucial in such design.
In case of TF and Eplus systems , they use heatsinks which are integrated with motor hub , simply aluminium hub cast is a one piece with actual heatsink.
But a lot of design went into it, including all kind of simulation software.
FALCO DD hub/controller system is a continuation of tradition of TF and Eplus.
Made in India

TF went out of business years ago
Eplus went out of business 2 years ag
Falcon system designed by STG is currently manufactured in India-home country of
Rakesh
Of course design are covered by USA patents

STD = Strategic Technology Group
They are behind Tidal Force , Eplus and now Falco designs.
You are in Europe you should be interested in FALCO which is complete with display, etc. ebike kit
, because they have dealer in UK .
I read reviews of Falco and is one of the finest hub motor ebike system in the world.
Comparing FALCO with MAGIC PIE is like comparing day with night.
You would NO WAY burn out FALCO motor riding in the snow like you did with Magic,
FALCO has all kind of protections built in controller , because it is designed to NAmerican/Western tech standards.

here is STG web site http://strategictechgroup.com/
here is info on FALCO
http://www.teamhybridebikes.com/products/falco-e-bike-kits.php

New video... [youtube]gt7NbJZVJu0[/youtube]

Bike is working but in sensorless mode. Maybe someday I'll try to change hall sensors.

MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER said:
NIce to know!
Did you fix or just using external controller?

Hi, no I use an internall controller. I think the hall sensors are broken because nothing happens when I use a throttle from dead stop. When I push pedal the throttle starts working as normally. The PAS doesn't work so I have to use throttle but I like the idea that I can't use the throttle from dead stop. It makes system more safe.

I have very funny video of my friend who tries my bike and makes rookie mistake :lol: He didn't take hand from the throttle after stopping and jumped off from the bike. His right hand was still there on the throttle and the bike accelerated like grazy!!! :lol: I should post the video here, what a fail situation. I don't let anybody to drive my bike again without telling how to use system and drive.

I'm also learning how to drive. These things are important for me (I try to get more driving distance):
- I'm always driving too fast --> I try to pedal so I can control my speed better (going too fast, not possible pedal with the same speed)
- braking --> do not brake if not needed! I use regen or let the bike roll until stop
- accelerating --> I always try to help motor by pedalling from the stopped position

Sounds easy but powerfull hub motor is too much fun to drive!

BR,
-rado

radoCol said:
New video... [youtube]gt7NbJZVJu0[/youtube]

I immediately recognized finnish architecture and bike paths in your video!
Nice to find other finns here!

Kai said:
I immediately recognized finnish architecture and bike paths in your video!
Nice to find other finns here!

Hi, Yes I feel like a lonely driver here. It was great day to drive again...
8566007382_f67b58f88c_b.jpg
I had top speed 41 km/h on river ice against the snow and high wind, it was so great! There were also quite difficult trails on the woods and my average speed was about 16 km/h. My big wheels (29'') are so difficult to drive...

-rado

Days are getting better here in Finland...
8585400656_1404aff53c_b.jpg

I ordered the great Ergon backpack which is also very good protecting you and your battery when you fall. I flew over my handlebar when I was going too fast but nothing happened to me or battery. Ergon did very good job securing my battery on my back!

8585400808_f85015befe_b.jpg

Your rear torque arm is on the wrong side of the chainstay...it should be pulling the wheel back in the direction of travel. Right now it is just "blocking travel" and will be pushed into the chainstay by the torque force. It should be trying to move away from the chainstay, and being pulled back to the chainstay by the clamp.

Lebowski said:
aren't snow and ice supposed to make you fall flat on your face when you drive like that without metal studs in the tires :?:

Yes Sir! I have had three fallings so far:

- I flew over the hadlebar because of the front wheel stucked in the softer snow, I was lucky to drive quite slowly
- I flew on my back side on pure ice, OMG it was too slippery! I was lucky again...
- today my front wheel slipped on ice edge (I was on icy road) and I flew on my chest side on the road because of the bike just slipped on the right side and I countinued on the front direction, I was lucky again :)

I should buy better tires or stop driving, that's for sure!

Your luck has not been so good, it seems. I just bought my MXUS-kit from Greencycles, and have not experienced a slightest problem with it since, and i hope it stays that way. MXUS DD motors are equipped with Honeywell sensors as a standard. Of course i"m a tarmac guy with slicks, i don"t ride off-road and i am not gonna ride in the rain, if i can avoid it. That rusting tendency worries me a bit still. Greencycles customer service was really good. Of course it comes with that bulky, submarine-style antiwater controller, but i build a box from 4mm ply around it, so it"s quite stealthy. Only quality thing since this day were the axel nuts, i bought harder nuts from that nut&bolt shop located in Karjalankatu. Original axel nuts were too soft metal, axel itself is hard. Good luck! E-bike is really great thing to ride, expecially for a middle-aged guy like me with worn-out knee. We are like first pioneers in Finland with these DD-hub bikes, i wonder if i will see a another e-biker during the summer, it is possible.Two would be a surprise. Last year i saw none, though then i did not look that hard. I mean DD-hub bikes, those 250W-geared ones i might see a few.

Eskimo said:
Your luck has not been so good, it seems...

Hi, I'm feeling very lucky! Yesterday I had 30 km driving and after riding I noticed my loose front wheel! I think I'm very lucky because I don't want think what happens in high speed when front wheel loose... :cry:

Every time I check my bike before and after riding. I think my front suspension fooled me to not notice the loose front wheel. I changed my quick check routine, this is my tip for you eriders:
- lock the front suspension
- lock your front brake, move your bike front and back-->try to feel and see loose parts
- open your front brake, turn your wheel (us as a brake), move your bike front and back-->try to feel and see loose parts
- do same brake locking test for back wheel

Do not just use your hand for checking (like I did), use force (weight of the bike) and tools if available! I wish you very safe driving!

radoCol said:
Eskimo said:
Your luck has not been so good, it seems...

...I noticed my loose front wheel! I think I'm very lucky because I don't want think what happens in high speed when front wheel loose... :cry:

I'm also lucky to choose good bike (trek mtb) for my ebike conversion. My front fork was able to hold the front wheel even in loose situation!

Dang. I feel like now that I've read this thread, my motor is inevitably going to fail. Doomed! I have less than 200 miles on my MP3 build, but has been really great so far. No snow or rain rides yet. I have actually been more worried about the aluminum frame of my bike than the motor. :?

I ordered mine from Goldenmotor.ca, so hopefully Gary stands by his warranty if I have a failure.

So many people say bad things about the internal GM controllers, but in my experience, if you want a stealthy build and aren't a total speed junky - they are just fine. I can get 30MPH with pedaling and fully charged. Torque is great. Personally, I'm thinking that if I upgrade the controller, I'll just be beating up my battery pack. I can't be doing that since I have a 13 mile commute to work each way.

Anyway, sorry about your luck with the motor and controller. I hope it was more of a fluke than true shoddy design and assembly.

Any other replacement bearings that are available? What are the numbers on the originals? What can be done to better waterproof the original controller enclosure?

have it seen inside MP3 how horrible Chineses designed this it was not fluke that it stopped working,
do you really expect it to work in wet?
I woud say yours is a fluke that it still works.
those cover graphics are so nice, deception

Well I grown up and went for Crystalyte...
O well Crystalyte is also not the best quality, but still better design.
So after heavy mods I am really happy......

With Magic Pie 3 I had only problems problems after heavy mods.....

Hi

I updated the front fork to Rockshox recon.
8718498554_693aba0e93_b.jpg

So much better than the Suntour coil fork! :lol:
-rado

Back