GoldenMotor MP3 in Trek 2013 29er, great combo!

magic pies are not over priced or poorly designed,

"It is what it is"

i found the magic pies out performed the 9c's , The only thing i liked about 9c's was external phase wires.
alot of people also upgrade the 9c's phase wires where the magic pies you must rewire the phases to run decent power through it.

so you get what you pay for anyway. i think the pricing could be cheaper, but what ever, i still purchased them and prefer them over 9c's, and then i would have to say crystalytes x35 out performed the magic pies...

9c's are about 1/2 the price tho. magic pies with their internal controller are great for first timers, after you get bored with the power, you can upgrade it with a new controller.

Update...I'm now over 1000 km and still going. I drive every day my mp3 ebike and it feels amazing. I have almost two identical 29er bikes and I will make another video for comparison because the other is my ebike. Stay updated...

radoCol said:
Hi

I want to share my ebike experience with you. I dreamed about an ebike such a long time and finally I did it! I bought a totally new mtb because of my 10 years mtb was so bad to drive. I choose the Trek 2013 Marlin because I loved to drive it. I like uplifted driving position and 29er wheels are also great.

I ordered the ebike kit from Golden Motor China and I choose the MP3 with 48V/10Ah battery. I made my choise because of:
- integrated controller, easier to install and maybe "cleanier look" for my bike
- "big" motor, should have a good torque
- thin motor, should be able to use 7 or 8 speed casette
- I wanted to make stealth look so I have battery in my backpack

Everything is working very well without big problems. I have less than 100 km so far so I can't tell you more. I will post more reviews of the bike when I gain more experience. I did short video for you, enjoy... https://vimeo.com/57394117 :lol: BTW...max speed is about 48 km/h but I limited the speed because I live in Finland. Even with the limited speed the bike feels quite powerfull. I don't know the driving distance yet...

Thanks,
-rado
where did you buy your battery?

Hi, I just noticed this thread now and those winter riding videos are very cool and makes me miss winter. I have ridden my SmartPie a lot in the snow with studded tires and it is amazing fun. The smartPie shares the same problem with the internal controller as the MagicPie3 and I broke mine within a month. GM China sent me a new one that I still have unopened in a box because I upgraded to a Lyen 9fet controller.
I built a bike for a friend with the MP3 and his internal controller didn't brake. I upgraded it to a 18 fet Cellman infineon controller when he asked for more power and he has been riding the bike for several months at 60 amps and 72 volts (24s lifepo4) without problems (I Installed 6mm^2 phase wires).

Very nice shocks you bought, I've got the same shocks on my Giant Talon 29er.

Most 29er bikes got very wide handlebars which I like very good and is very nice when you start upgrading with a CycleAnalyst, a big cree led light and stuff like that. It was very hard to get all that stuff onto my 26" bikes handlebar.

I hope your internal controller lasts a long time. Your bike has a very clean look that might be compromised with an external controller.

Just curious how did you get GM to send you a laced 29" rim? There website lists a 28" rim max, or am I missing something? I thought you said your trek was a 29'er? Is a 28" wheel what 29' :D er's comes with? Yes I am new to e-biking! But I am planning to do exactly what you did, convert a nice new mountain bike or cruiser. :D :D :twisted: :D :D

RoadWrinkle said:
Just curious how did you get GM to send you a laced 29" rim? There website lists a 28" rim max, or am I missing something? I thought you said your trek was a 29'er? Is a 28" wheel what 29' :D er's comes with? Yes I am new to e-biking! But I am planning to do exactly what you did, convert a nice new mountain bike or cruiser. :D :D :twisted: :D :D

I think they listed in wrong order. 700 (29er) is bigger than 28'' . Cruiser...go for it! What a great idea, you will love it! They send me also the battery and it has been great so far, no problems. With the 10Ah and practical driving you can drive easily over 40km distance. The avg speed will be like 25...30km/h. Every time I have had max speed about 48...50km/h but it was because of the downhills.

I did choose the GM kit because of the internal controller and easy connections. I also liked kind of the clean "stealth" look of the bike. I know you can't hide the monster MP3 :oops:

If you choose the GM kit, please do following modifications (you have to!):
- Use thread locking fluid for spokes (no more loose spokes, that's for sure!). Easy job to do...
- Make better water protection (use silicone, I used the same what is used in the car industry). The most important is the protect the "cable in" to the hub. Because of the Chinese quality issues you don't know that the assembly of the hub is correct! Like I had missing o-ring and water leak.
- use torque arms in the aluminum frame!
- consider tweaking the software parameters like torque limiting and brake parameters (good USB sw interface in the GM kits )

Good luck...

BTW...

I also pedal a lot when I'm driving by eBike and I think my heart rate is on the fat burning mode (rate about 120...140 beats). I lost my fat because of the eBike driving. I also use my other bikes a lot but my heart rate is faster and it is on the exercise level (over 140). I think eBiking is great "sport" for loosing some weight :D

And the best thing in eBiking is that you can choose the exercise level, not the head wind or environment!

I know; "no pain ,no gain!". Then I choose my stock MTB for exercise...

Wow, Big Mahalo for the great technical advice about the GM motor. The very thing that has attracted me to e-biking is the need to loose my extra LBS. A "Magic Genie" helping me pedal allows me to sweat without an ambulance involved somewhere along the route! LOL.

Thanks again for your great thread.

Hi,

The new winter is finally here in Finland so it will be my second with the eBike. The last winter I had a broken controller, broken hub motor and many falling because of slippery tires! I updated my bike with the spike tires and I also updated my personal protection. Now I'm wearing a helmet, protective goggles and a face mask if needed. Here's the latest setup, enjoy...
[youtube]YiS8g8pru4Q[/youtube]

Hi,

I changed the hub design to the mid drive design: MP3 --> 8Fun(BBS02). The bike looks and feels great, so stealth! :lol:
13601678515_3a688808b5.jpg

The bike feels less powerful but very well balanced.

-rado

Wow I was just about to order the Magic Pie 3, when I saw this thread with many problems stated. Appreciate that MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER!

You say there are problems lacing the motor to a wide rim? I was thinking about fitting the rear motor to a 100mm wide rim (see link), is that possible? When I checked the technical drawing, I concluded the center of the motor is just 7mm off the axis center, so not a lot of dishing needed. I would build a custom cruiser frame, so I could even handle an offset if needed. And if only straight lacing is possible, can the wheel handle big loads (2 people for example)? The cheap bearings aren’t going to last long under heavy load either, right?

http://sm-parts.net/product_info.php/info/p53_sm-parts-cruiser-felge-24----hohlkammer.html

So what would you guys recommend as an alternative? Or the “best in class” - 400$ motor + controller (I guess external is the best). I know you get what you pay for, but still, it’s good to know which is the best among the low budget options. And I’m looking for something with plenty of torque to accelerate. I’m going be moving a lot of mass, I don’t need top speed (20mph is enough), I’ll fit it to a 24’’ with a fat tire. And I have no limitations with the frame, since I can build around it.

radoCol >>> nice! looks great and handling is now much better?
More pictures?

dzoberti >>> yes dishing is very hard with MP3 motor, because of short spokes and thin motor.
I think with 24 inch dishing will be a problem, but when using spacers for your motor axle will solve this problem.

I don't know how the new MP3 internal controller will perform, V1 was very bad!
But for a trike this motor is very powerfull and almost no heat a high power.
Then you have to use external controller for a reliable bike.....

Back