Grin CA, Phaserunner and GMAC... not as easy as I thought.

JeffnAZ

1 W
I just finished assembly on my first build. Set up with cycle analyst is not going a smooth as anticipated. I simply just don't know enough yet.

I have questions that I can't seem to find direct answers to...

My Battery is only 36V but even after setup on the CA my main display still reads 48V... ??

Do I have to do any set up on the Phaserunner if I have CA?

Can I do the back pedal regen with an Erider BB?

Even with all the literature and videos available, I'm still very unsure about many settings. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, J

CA3-WPx
Phaserunner L-10
GMAC 10T
Erider Torque BB
36V

I have a similar system installed on a Scorpion trike.
Yes you will need to change a lot of items, depending on what you want the system to do.
If you want to use some features of the Phaserunner, like the electric freewheel, you will need to set up the Phaserunner also.
My bottom bracket is an earlier ERider. Are you using the CA setup utility to work on the Cycle Analyst or paging through the menus on the device. The setup utility is much easier. You will need the cable to plug a computer into the CA. (same cable works for the Phaserunner)
My original set up (CA3-14) does not include backpedal regen. My understanding is that is available only in the beta firmware. I do not have it functioning on my system, but am trying to get it to work.

The forum software doesn't allow .hex files as an attachment, so I can't send my functioning file as an attachment.

Thanks to A-DamW for the suggestion. Attached should be my set up file with the extension changed to .txt, you should be able to download and change the extension back to .hex

Note that there is a chain elsewhere on the forum about a speedometer problem with CA3-15 so I have not installed it. This setup file is based on CA3-14.

Attachments

• Setup 26April22.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The forum software doesn't allow .hex files as an attachment, so I can't send my functioning file as an attachment.
Try zipping the file, or simply change the .hex file extension to something like .txt or .zip, or maybe .jpg would work.

Yes you will need to change a lot of items, depending on what you want the system to do.
If you want to use some features of the Phaserunner, like the electric freewheel, you will need to set up the Phaserunner also.
My bottom bracket is an earlier ERider. Are you using the CA setup utility to work on the Cycle Analyst or paging through the menus on the device. The setup utility is much easier. You will need the cable to plug a computer into the CA. (same cable works for the Phaserunner)
My original set up (CA3-14) does not include backpedal regen. My understanding is that is available only in the beta firmware. I do not have it functioning on my system, but am trying to get it to work.

Thanks to A-DamW for the suggestion. Attached should be my set up file with the extension changed to .txt, you should be able to download and change the extension back to .hex

Note that there is a chain elsewhere on the forum about a speedometer problem with CA3-15 so I have not installed it. This setup file is based on CA3-14.
Thanks for the response. I have gone through the setup on both the display and the CA utility. I tried 3.14 and 3.15. 3.15 had the preset for my Erider. I also tried the 3.2 beta. I’m on 3.15 now. The bike is rideable but not seamlessly. I will plug in the Phaserunner and see if I can figure it out. I want the freewheeling anyway. Thanks again. The incorrect voltage on the display is concering.

I just finished assembly on my first build. Set up with cycle analyst is not going a smooth as anticipated. I simply just don't know enough yet.

I have questions that I can't seem to find direct answers to...

My Battery is only 36V but even after setup on the CA my main display still reads 48V... ??

Do I have to do any set up on the Phaserunner if I have CA?

Can I do the back pedal regen with an Erider BB?

Even with all the literature and videos available, I'm still very unsure about many settings. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, J

CA3-WPx
Phaserunner L-10
GMAC 10T
Erider Torque BB
36V

If you bought it as a ready to roll kit, then it should work automatically. If not, then you will have to set up both the cycle analyst and the phaserunner.

At full charge is your battery showing up as 54.6 instead of 42.0 as it should if it is a 36V battery? There should be a setting for the cycle analyst under the battery settings where it asks the series cell count, that should be 10S.

I highly recommend switching to the cycle analyst software 3.2b3, as despite the beta tag, it has better support for regen, which your gmac motor supports.

Assuming you didn't get a kit, programming the phaserunner is a must, you can connect it with an android phone and the phaserunner suite app with the TTL cable and an OTG usb C to A adapter, which will give you most functions. For all functions, you will need to use a laptop/pc.

Although slightly old and a bit outdated, the unofficial user guide features a bit more handholding (although it is very detailed) process of setting up the cycle analyst. Due to it's age, some settings may be different.

https://ebikes.ca/documents/CaV3_UUG_3-0e.pdf

If you bought it as a ready to roll kit, then it should work automatically. If not, then you will have to set up both the cycle analyst and the phaserunner.

At full charge is your battery showing up as 54.6 instead of 42.0 as it should if it is a 36V battery? There should be a setting for the cycle analyst under the battery settings where it asks the series cell count, that should be 10S.

I highly recommend switching to the cycle analyst software 3.2b3, as despite the beta tag, it has better support for regen, which your gmac motor supports.

Assuming you didn't get a kit, programming the phaserunner is a must, you can connect it with an android phone and the phaserunner suite app with the TTL cable and an OTG usb C to A adapter, which will give you most functions. For all functions, you will need to use a laptop/pc.

Although slightly old and a bit outdated, the unofficial user guide features a bit more handholding (although it is very detailed) process of setting up the cycle analyst. Due to it's age, some settings may be different.

https://ebikes.ca/documents/CaV3_UUG_3-0e.pdf
Thanks very much for the support. It wasn’t a kit. I used atinkerer’s setup and went from there and it lives. It is tremendous fun to ride. Especially at night for some reason.

My remaining issue is that the motor doesn’t start until 7mph and, of course, it turns off if I drop below 7mph. This thing can be a leg burner starting from a stop going up hill to get to 7mph. Every thing I’ve tried to lower this to say 5mph causes the motor to stutter and fault out.

Also it surges forward when the motor lights off at 7mph. I’ve some ideas to get that start speed lower but I’m tired of messing with it right now. Im gonna just enjoy it for a while. The surge doesn’t bother me too much and it’s actually kind of fun. But I hesitate to let anyone else ride it because of that.

And I’m totally guessing on a limit for regen amps. I set it to 7amps buy CA shows 10 to 14amp of regen going d a steep hill. No smoke yet, so I guess it’s okay.

The rest of my details to adjust are not setup related. My rear brake rotor sqeaks against one pad but I ordered shims for that. Easy fix. And I drop the chain regularly. Ordered a wolf tooth drop stop chainring and a tighter fitting chain. Another easy fix. And my whimpy 20amp battery is barely enough for what this bike begs for. I think 30amps is the sweet spot for this bike, I can bump up against the 20amp limit pretty easily on a climb. 30amps shipped today.

This thing is so much fun… so glad I got motivated to finish it. Also, I have renewed respect for duct tape…. This battery is on there really snug. At first the duct tape was a temp solution until I figured out something better. I’m gonna keep using the tape.

Last edited:

Thanks…. Your setup got me on the road.

Thanks very much for the support. It wasn’t a kit. I used atinkerer’s setup and went from there and it lives. It is tremendous fun to ride. Especially at night for some reason.

My remaining issue is that the motor doesn’t start until 7mph and, of course, it turns off if I drop below 7mph. This thing can be a leg burner starting from a stop going up hill to get to 7mph. Every thing I’ve tried to lower this to say 5mph causes the motor to stutter and fault out.

Also it surges forward when the motor lights off at 7mph. I’ve some ideas to get that start speed lower but I’m tired of messing with it right now. Im gonna just enjoy it for a while. The surge doesn’t bother me too much and it’s actually kind of fun. But I hesitate to let anyone else ride it because of that.

And I’m totally guessing on a limit for regen amps. I set it to 7amps buy CA shows 10 to 14amp of regen going d a steep hill. No smoke yet, so I guess it’s okay.

The rest of my details to adjust are not setup related. My rear brake rotor sqeaks against one pad but I ordered shims for that. Easy fix. And I drop the chain regularly. Ordered a wolf tooth drop stop chainring and a tighter fitting chain. Another easy fix. And my whimpy 20amp battery is barely enough for what this bike begs for. I think 30amps is the sweet spot for this bike, I can bump up against the 20amp limit pretty easily on a climb. 30amps shipped today.

This thing is so much fun… so glad I got motivated to finish it. Also, I have renewed respect for duct tape…. This battery is on there really snug. At first the duct tape was a temp solution until I figured out something better. I’m gonna keep using the tape.
From the CA user manual -->

"Throttle dead zones and motor creep occur when the throttle output voltage range is not identical to the
throttle input range of the motor controller. The Cycle Analyst provides configuration options to easily match
the output and input ranges of these two devices without the use of test equipment.
2. Configurable throttle ramping provides a means to smooth controller power application. This is of particular
value to vehicles with powerful motors or with motors/drivetrains containing gears, clutches, chains, etc.
Ramping is universally applied to the generated Throttle Out signal and so affects all operation, not just the
operator throttle. This feature can make the bike more controllable and safeguard drivetrain components"

You will have to map both the CA and controller to match. The unofficial guide I linked earlier gives you best practices on how to get it as close as possible.

You can double check if this is the case from the diagnostics screen on the cycle analyst (press left button once from the main menu)

You will have input volts(from the throttle/PAS) on the top left and output volts on the right (output to controller).

If there is a you can see an input, but there is a delay, then you have a dead zone, where the CA is not giving any output to the controller.

BEFORE MODIFYING ANYTHING SAVE YOUR SETUP FIRST(sorry for the caps)

The jerking motion can be solved by configuring the throttle input & output.

Another area is in the phaserunner suite, you can modify is by modifying the torque up and torque down settings in the output torque ramping section. Setting the value higher will give a more gradual ramping up/down and setting it lower will give you a more faster ramping. Too fast though, and it could cause a jerking motion.

I would also check that the speed limit settings are accurate, as well as the tire size, the tire size has to match in both the controller and CA.

Also in the vehicle params section, if there is a speed limit set, I would remove it as the cycle analyst will take care of it.

That's all I can think of regarding the speed issue.

Regarding the regen issue, I don't recall there being a seperate regen amps limit on the cycle analyst setup page, the only amps limit is in the power menu. Unless you did the regen amps limiting in the baserunner.

The regen, AFAIK is controller by the baserunner. In the battery limits section, you set the maximum voltage that the bike will Regen, as well as the maximum amps it will regen.

Ebike BMS's come in two flavour, seperate port and common port.

In seperate port, the charge and discharge are two seperate wires. As a result, the charge port will have a limit of, normally 8V, if it goes higher it will trip the BMS protection.

In common port the charge and discharge wires are in the same port, so the amps limit is the continuous amps limit of the controller. Seeing that your BMS hasn't tripped, it's possible that you have a common port BMS.

If you are getting a new battery, then you should be all set, do remember to change the battery parameters in the baserunner setup.

If you are swapping the BMS to a higher rated one, then you may have to swap the fuses to a higher rated one on the discharge port , if your battery has one.

Your max watts will be dependent on your battery voltage x amps.

I have a 15amp BMS x 48V = 740 watts.
if I bumped up to 20amps x 48V = 960 watts.

Given that I live in Canada, and with a "500 watt output" limit, and the 32km speed limit, 740 watts is pretty good for my small hub motor.

Your GMAC is rated for 600-1200 watts, so realistically the 30amps may be overkill assuming you have a 48V system, but thanks to the temp sensors on the grin hubs, your motor will throttle the power over 100C. In any case power ratings are nonsense, so it's all a crapshoot.

My remaining issue is that the motor doesn’t start until 7mph
Please check this by NOT accelerating from a stop, on a flat smooth section. Set lowest gears, and just do enough to move.
Is it that the motor does not start until 7mph, or that the cranks need to turn enough before the motor starts, without regard to the speed you (happen) to reach by then?

What is your PAS Start Threshold time set to on the CA?

From the CA user manual -->

"Throttle dead zones and motor creep occur when the throttle output voltage range is not identical to the
throttle input range of the motor controller. The Cycle Analyst provides configuration options to easily match
the output and input ranges of these two devices without the use of test equipment.
2. Configurable throttle ramping provides a means to smooth controller power application. This is of particular
value to vehicles with powerful motors or with motors/drivetrains containing gears, clutches, chains, etc.
Ramping is universally applied to the generated Throttle Out signal and so affects all operation, not just the
operator throttle. This feature can make the bike more controllable and safeguard drivetrain components"

You will have to map both the CA and controller to match. The unofficial guide I linked earlier gives you best practices on how to get it as close as possible.

You can double check if this is the case from the diagnostics screen on the cycle analyst (press left button once from the main menu)

You will have input volts(from the throttle/PAS) on the top left and output volts on the right (output to controller).

If there is a you can see an input, but there is a delay, then you have a dead zone, where the CA is not giving any output to the controller.

BEFORE MODIFYING ANYTHING SAVE YOUR SETUP FIRST(sorry for the caps)

The jerking motion can be solved by configuring the throttle input & output.

Another area is in the phaserunner suite, you can modify is by modifying the torque up and torque down settings in the output torque ramping section. Setting the value higher will give a more gradual ramping up/down and setting it lower will give you a more faster ramping. Too fast though, and it could cause a jerking motion.

I would also check that the speed limit settings are accurate, as well as the tire size, the tire size has to match in both the controller and CA.

Also in the vehicle params section, if there is a speed limit set, I would remove it as the cycle analyst will take care of it.

That's all I can think of regarding the speed issue.

Regarding the regen issue, I don't recall there being a seperate regen amps limit on the cycle analyst setup page, the only amps limit is in the power menu. Unless you did the regen amps limiting in the baserunner.

The regen, AFAIK is controller by the baserunner. In the battery limits section, you set the maximum voltage that the bike will Regen, as well as the maximum amps it will regen.

Ebike BMS's come in two flavour, seperate port and common port.

In seperate port, the charge and discharge are two seperate wires. As a result, the charge port will have a limit of, normally 8V, if it goes higher it will trip the BMS protection.

In common port the charge and discharge wires are in the same port, so the amps limit is the continuous amps limit of the controller. Seeing that your BMS hasn't tripped, it's possible that you have a common port BMS.

If you are getting a new battery, then you should be all set, do remember to change the battery parameters in the baserunner setup.

If you are swapping the BMS to a higher rated one, then you may have to swap the fuses to a higher rated one on the discharge port , if your battery has one.

Your max watts will be dependent on your battery voltage x amps.

I have a 15amp BMS x 48V = 740 watts.
if I bumped up to 20amps x 48V = 960 watts.

Given that I live in Canada, and with a "500 watt output" limit, and the 32km speed limit, 740 watts is pretty good for my small hub motor.

Your GMAC is rated for 600-1200 watts, so realistically the 30amps may be overkill assuming you have a 48V system, but thanks to the temp sensors on the grin hubs, your motor will throttle the power over 100C. In any case power ratings are nonsense, so it's all a crapshoot.
Thanks a ton…. I’m reading and learning here. Problem not fixed yet but there’s definitely some things to bounce against your input here. I can’t go to fast or I get lost in the details.

What is your PAS Start Threshold time set to on the CA?
Thanks for responding…. It’s set to .40 sec/pole. I’ve raised and lowered this setting. I can feel differing engagement behaviour…. But doesn’t fix my stutters.

Last edited:
Please check this by NOT accelerating from a stop, on a flat smooth section. Set lowest gears, and just do enough to move.
Is it that the motor does not start until 7mph, or that the cranks need to turn enough before the motor starts, without regard to the speed you (happen) to reach by then?
Thanks for your interest…

depends…. If I have the Min Start Speed set below 7mph in CA, then the motor will try to start, but it does the stuttering and shuts down for a minute (Usually). That symptom seems to worsen with increased load, like starting from a stop on an incline.

Now because of this, I set the Min Start Speed to 7mph to avoid the stutters. And of course, the motor starts at 7mph. With no stuttering. on flat ground that’s not a problem. On an incline, getting my bike up to 7mph can be a leg pumping effort.

Forgive me if you have already done this and I missed reading - I'm jugging job, other forums, pursuit of the next phase of my own trike build, etc.

The Unofficial guide, starting with section 3, goes through a process to calibrate the throttle and other systems. It goes over physical connections first (sounds like you have that), then goes through a few baseline settings to get moving (you probably have that, but best to check), and then it goes into detail about a process to check the more detailed bits - the throttle ramping is there, and something else might affect what you experience too.

Apologies if you've already done this and I missed it.

Forgive me if you have already done this and I missed reading - I'm jugging job, other forums, pursuit of the next phase of my own trike build, etc.

The Unofficial guide, starting with section 3, goes through a process to calibrate the throttle and other systems. It goes over physical connections first (sounds like you have that), then goes through a few baseline settings to get moving (you probably have that, but best to check), and then it goes into detail about a process to check the more detailed bits - the throttle ramping is there, and something else might affect what you experience too.

Apologies if you've already done this and I missed it.

I’ve read it many times. And I get a little smarter each time. I have fixed some of my early problems by reading and rereading all the documentation. But this 7mph thing stumps me.

Hey, just wondering if you are still stuck. One thought that came to mind was if you have programmed your motor pole count correctly.
Excuse me if you already know this. But I had issues when I didn’t understand that my MAC (not GMAC) has 32 magnets and this 16 magnet pole pairs BUT it is a 5:1 planetary geared motor like yours and thus the correct setting for the phaserunner suite is 16x5=80.
My motor was jumpy when it was programmed with 16 pole pairs.
What you could also try is to see if you connect the throttle to the controller if the problem persists. That would indicate to me that the issue would be in the controller settings. Hope this helps.
It’s all very complicated isn’t it.

Hey, just wondering if you are still stuck. One thought that came to mind was if you have programmed your motor pole count correctly.
Excuse me if you already know this. But I had issues when I didn’t understand that my MAC (not GMAC) has 32 magnets and this 16 magnet pole pairs BUT it is a 5:1 planetary geared motor like yours and thus the correct setting for the phaserunner suite is 16x5=80.
My motor was jumpy when it was programmed with 16 pole pairs.
What you could also try is to see if you connect the throttle to the controller if the problem persists. That would indicate to me that the issue would be in the controller settings. Hope this helps.
It’s all very complicated isn’t it.
Thanks. I will eventually try your suggestions. I don’t have a throttle but I intend to get one. I just use the Erider BB. I am still stuck with the 7mph thing, but I’m just riding it anyway. And I have to reset the Erider Bb setting from time to time. Got tired of messing with it. I just learned to ride in a way that doesn’t cause problems. It’s an extremely fun bike. Probably the funnest toy I’ve ever owned. My old azz PC quit on me also… so don’t have that now. My apple devices don’t seem to deal well with electric toys. GRIN sent me some info too but I gotta buy a PC. I do appreciate your interest and help though. Maybe when the snow comes and I can’t ride it, I’ll get back to the settings.

Back