GT i-drive 2.0 Build

hey amber, i'll toss it in the box w/the fried A20, when it comes to that.

in the meantime, how should i clean off the smoke inside the controller? toss it in the dishwasher on pots & pans cycle? que tip with alcohol?

managed to weatherproof the old controller for the pissing wet commute today. autumn has hit dc and the trees are beautiful. hopefully i'll get a clear and dry day to do some trails. the gopro likes bright light.

here's a snap of the rescued bike last night:
2010-10-26 19.47.15.jpg

knoxie said:
I would just call up Lyen as well
hey knoxie, lyen has been called! a 124110 is on the way. (btw, is he a clone of methods better parts? hehe. no offense intended of course! to the contrary, he seems like a quality operation.)

The good news is that none of the gate legs evaporated, which means super-high currents werent' flowing thru them, at least. :) Probably means the driving circuits are not totally destroyed. :lol:

Best way to wash anything off a PCB you intend to repair is cotton swabs and as high a percentage of Isopropyl (rubbing) Alcohol as you can find (90% minimum, 99% if you can get it). Lotsa work but won't leave a bunch of conductive mineralized water deposits between traces and pins on stuff that you can't get to to clean afterwards. ;)

If you remove the FETs with evaporated legs first it'll be easier to get to most of the board. You can leave the ones that were not obviously destroyed if they measure ok; it's possible that they are not damaged, depending on exactly what happened.

back to the toasted controller. here it is, dirty:
P1000211.JPG
cleaned up
P1000218.JPG
top side
P1000220.JPG
halloween tombstones
P1000224.JPG

so i've yanked off the fets. i can't recall if the CA worked while hooked up or not. think i could plug it in to check? or w/o fets will i blow something else? even to 24V?

see any other show-stoppers on the board?

CA plugged in and lit up when 18V hit the board. i suppose that's a good sign. i've got a nice little pack of 4110's for the job, but of course the soldering iron tip just broke... lol. and i'll probably need a fair bit more solder. should i clean it ALL off from the bottom? or just what i need to to clean the holes?

do you have solder wick or a solder sucker? Makes removing solder easier on the traces.

GCinDC said:
should i clean it ALL off from the bottom? or just what i need to to clean the holes?
If you remove all the solder it may become easier to heat the solder when reinstalling the new parts, but then you still have to heat the whole thing again re-adding all the solder.

Optionally, remove all the FET-area solder, then replace the failed parts. Then just test the thing to see if it even works. :) After that, if it does work, then beef it up not with solder but with heavy wire (solid is easier to do it with, like some of the house wiring stuff; you only need a couple feet of it at most), soldered down to the existing traces. More work, but better performance.

Hey G Pretty toasty 8)

You gonna have a go at fixing it yourself then? got to be worth a shot!! get a decent iron and a solder sucker, you can use braid I have always used a high quality solder sucker, make sure you get all the solder out and dont try and pull at them cold as you will bring the tracks off the board.

I have also been watching True Blood its a cool show, I downloaded series 3 and watched it back to back series 3 is good but not as good as series 2, whats odd is the guy that plays Jason (her brother) is actually an Australian actor! he does as pretty convincing accent as does the lead roll in the form of Bill who is English!

Anyways just downloading your weekend video, well it is Friday and Friday is GinDC video time!! keep them coming and good luck with the repair let us all know if you need any help or advice!

Knoxie

yes agree the last video was great and a nice contrast to the usual street riding, seemed to be plenty of lycra to smoke as well, looking forward to more, be careful if it gets icy :? yes the clocks go back this weekend here in the UK...dark when I leave work, time for the magic shine :)

GCinDC said:
should i clean it ALL off from the bottom? or just what i need to to clean the holes?

For the sake of midgets that may be placed into elevators or other close quarters with your person, it's considdered good form to clean it all off your bottom.

lunchtime run to arboretum, or a tiny part of it and a path by the river i discovered. and cool bonsai trees there...
[youtube]hT1m_rojYYE[/youtube]
this was using backup controller, not configured w/ CA, and i ran out of juice! somehow thought the old controller would use less juice... 14 miles total. had to pedal last 1.5 miles back to work.

How did you know the pack was dead? Did LVC cut it off? What was lowest cell voltage in pack?

Quick delivery from Lyen :D

Great way to spend lunch hour :mrgreen:

dbaker said:
How did you know the pack was dead? Did LVC cut it off? What was lowest cell voltage in pack?
thanks! it goes over the cliff pretty quickly. i'm still not using the bm6's so relying entirely on whole pack voltage. at 74V resting, i've got no clue how much is left, but @ 71V, i know i'm getting close. @ WOT, i'll ride up until 66V, but suddenly, on acceleration, it'll drop to 61V, and then i'm done. at rest, it comes back up to 67, but there's nothing left. i actually charged it up a bit w/ regen on the way back, especially over the H st bridge over the train tracks near north cap, good for 4Amp stretches that took the load off...

pretty tempting to go down and hit the rally in a couple hours. you going?

dbaker said:
How do you choose the audio?
don't recognize a single artist in youtube's database of free music, so i pick a genre, and a song w/ similar length, preview 5 or 6, then pick one! no time for more than that!

Ahhhh, Yee ole stomping grounds. Seeing the Kennedy Center like that reminded me of the first time I rode underneath it, through that tunnel and watched it recede away through the back window of that cop car, but that's for another time..... :x

Why such a short video man? That's just a tease... I think you should wear a shirt that says " I will always be faster than you"

Wow, just watched the lunchbreak video, those trees are amazing, where is this place? It looks abandoned.

Back