Help needed to find out correct spoke length

rasil1127

10 µW
hi

i need to spoke my motor onto my ebike wheel. i have that motor which is often sold as pre-spoked wheels on ebay and other websites as "ebike kits" but i cannot find out what the correct spoke length would be since its a pretty common motor on a pretty common 26 inch wheel. i guess is there anyone else with experience with this and could let me know the correct size?

hi

i need to spoke my motor onto my ebike wheel. i have that motor which is often sold as pre-spoked wheels on ebay and other websites as "ebike kits" but i cannot find out what the correct spoke length would be since its a pretty common motor on a pretty common 26 inch wheel. i guess is there anyone else with experience with this and could let me know the correct size?
What kind of measuring tools do you have? I'd advise taking each measurement a few times before inputting them into the spoke calculator. Millimeters make a big difference.

hi

You'll need to know the motor's actual measurements in certain places, as well as the rim you want to lace it into.

If you go to the link scianiac provided, there is info there on how to make these measurements. Other online spoke calculators and wheelbuilding pages you can find in websearches also have this info.

You'll want to read the wheelbuilding pages before proceeding anyway, since you will need to know how to build the wheel, and you may build it differently depending on your intended usage--to know what to order you need to know how you're going to build it and what it's going to be used for.

One example: If you are using a bicycle rim (as opposed to motorcycle), I highly recommend using 14/15g butted spokes if possible, or 13/14g butted if you have to use thicker ones for some reason (not normally needed). The thicker the spokes are, the weaker the wheel is, if all of the parts are not specifically designed to handle the tensions required for those thicker spokes. Use spokes too thick (like 12g) and the rim may fail from the excessive tension required for them.

Back