how to care for a lead battery vs li ion gel

sharinginfos

100 W
hi
i know that li ion you aim at staying between 80 and 20 pourcent.
for gel battery you always want to put it back to full every time you can.

what about lead battery. what is the correct utilisation?
what to avoid that lessen battery life.
how to store them for long time

also important. How to i test how much life life is in a battery , see if it is still good good for how long ? maybe it is possible to test how many amps hour they are able to deliver

thanks

hi
i know that li ion you aim at staying between 80 and 20 pourcent.
for gel battery you always want to put it back to full every time you can.

what about lead battery. what is the correct utilisation?
what to avoid that lessen battery life.
how to store them for long time

also important. How to i test how much life life is in a battery , see if it is still good good for how long ? maybe it is possible to test how many amps hour they are able to deliver

thanks
Gel batteries are lead acid batteries, with thickened electrolyte, and sealed to allow operation in any orientation. Care is approximately the same. Flooded lead acid cells should be checked for water level and topped up with distilled water as necessary. If they're kept for a very long time, like in a solar or backup power installation, they may need pH testing every so often and perhaps additional electrolyte.

There's not much reason to be using lead batteries anymore. Even if their weight and maintenance aren't deterrents, they have relatively short life and quickly declining performance compared to say lithium ferrophosphate. Given that 4S LFP and 6S lead-acid can use the same charging infrastructure and voltage thresholds, I'd go for LFP almost any time I had the choice.

but are there rules like never let it go to 0 volt?
always full discharge before doing a charge?
how to care for it

With lead-acid, avoid deep cycles. Charge as soon as you can. Leave them at 100% charge as much as possible. Bad things happen when they get fully discharged and stay that way for any length of time.

For lead-acid batteries:

They should always be fully charged unless they're discharging or recharging. That means 13V or more for a resting healthy 12V battery (becoming lower as the battery wears or ages out). Don't let them sit around in a partially discharged state.

10V is as low as they should ever go. Less than that causes some degree of irreversible damage, depending on how low and for how long.

You'll get many more charge-discharge cycles if you limit depth of discharge to 50% than if you go deeper than that. Discharging to 0% state of charge every time will wreck the battery's capacity and performance in just a handful of cycles.

Low current trickle charging will prevent self-discharge from draining the battery over time. Best is probably to put a trickle charger on a timer, so it turns on for an hour a day or so. Even very slow trickle charging will gradually vaporize water from the electrolyte and deplete the battery, so just enough to keep voltage topped off is better than trickling all the time.

All these helpful tips are less valuable than this one: Lithium ferrophosphate batteries are better in every way than lead-acid batteries. And they're even cheaper, in terms of usable watt-hours X number of recharge cycles, than the cheapest lead batteries.

hi ,
here are the pieces that came with the bike .
the battery is at 5v atm. i have the charger but i dont know if the red light should be on or off before charging it. anyone knows?
i imagine the battery is a 24 volt because of the charger that came with it and this image that looks like the kit i have

now i do have 2 12 volt gel wheelchair batteries in working order. I though of using them to test if the motor works.
I do have couple wires but i dont know how can i use them to plug the betteries in serie without getting electrocuted or damaging stuff.
I have an exact and cutter available. if the wire is big enough i would prefer using the red and black wire. is it possible how?

While being at it . i could not pump air into the tires with my regular pump. i took photos . what is wrong , what to do?

the kit is probably this

USPD US Pro-Drive Technical Specifications:
Propulsion System:
Patented Electro Drive direct drive with quick release mounting plate and bolt on adapter.
Motor: Hi-Torque Electro Drive, 24-volt brushless motor with built-in electronic
pulse-width modulated (PWM) controller.
Throttle: Handlebar mounted on-demand variable speed thumb throttle.
Power Source: Dual 12-volt, 12-amp hour sealed recyclable lead acid batteries in a lock-on frame mounted case.
Includes:
Quick release direct drive mounting plate
Hi-Torque Motor
36H (or 32H) bolt-on spoke adapter
Quick Mount Battery Pack
Handlebar mount throttle with pre-wired harness
Neoprene wiring connector boot
All mounting hardware for drive system, throttle, motor, & wiring
Standard 110/220v 1.5 Amp Smart-Charger
Detailed assembly and operation manual
Display packaging
(Optional fast charging 3 & 5 amp chargers available.)

Attachments

• 20230703_145728.jpg
    20230703_145728.jpg
    754.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230703_150130.jpg
    20230703_150130.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230703_150121.jpg
    20230703_150121.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230703_150734.jpg
    20230703_150734.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230703_150734.jpg
    20230703_150734.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230703_150852.jpg
    20230703_150852.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230703_151553.jpg
    20230703_151553.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230703_151615.jpg
    20230703_151615.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230703_151628.jpg
    20230703_151628.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 4
While being at it . i could not pump air into the tires with my regular pump. i took photos . what is wrong , what to do?
Is this your first time using a Presta valve? Based on the pics, you need to loosen the knurled nut on the end of the valve, before attaching the Schrader adapter and pump.

ok ill try it .

How about the questions of i want to test the motor while pedalling with 2 batteries in my back pack,.

how to use my wires to connect 2 12v battery in serie

green being wire with protection insulation
gray being i used knife to take off insulation to make electric contact.
is this how to do is there a better way?

can the wires on this pic named second drawing be used or they will burn?

Attachments

• 20230703_181239.jpg
    20230703_181239.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230703_181240.jpg
    20230703_181240.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    10 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
so are both drawing ok?

also if a batterie is only able to deliver 10amps but the controller moter wants 30 amps, what will happen? does that damage the battery or it does not damage it just the motor will not have as much power as it would like?

are there gadjet to temporarily hold wire in place without soldering?

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 3
If the controller tries to pull more than the battery can handle, the battery voltage will sag down enough to trigger the low voltage cutoff. It might also make the battery overheat if done long enough.

I've used "european barrier terminal blocks" to attach wires without soldering. You put the end of the wire in the terminal and tighten the screw to hold the wire. They come in various sizes.

ok and how much amp can the wire close the the pencil handle ? would they catch fire or just burn inside and no more connection if there is to much current?

Also. i received 2 lead batteries that have only worked to couple months . now at full charge they show 6 volts.
i also seen in the past people adding liquid to a lead battery. i dont know if that is even possible with the batteries see picture.
could adding the liquid restore them to somewhat usable for a little time or is there nothing to do considering they were left unattended for 6 years.

thanks and the wire question above if you have the knowledge..

Attachments

• 20230704_011154.jpg
    20230704_011154.jpg
    627.2 KB · Views: 3
Also. i received 2 lead batteries that have only worked to couple months . now at full charge they show 6 volts.
i also seen in the past people adding liquid to a lead battery. i dont know if that is even possible with the batteries see picture.
could adding the liquid restore them to somewhat usable for a little time or is there nothing to do considering they were left unattended for 6 years.

thanks and the wire question above if you have the knowledge..
The picture shows a 12v battery if it now showes 6 Volt it is useless junk. Now you know why lead acid batteries are not good for ebikes.

I don't understand what you mean about pencil. I bet english is not your first language :)
20230703_181240-jpg.336063

Pencil is pointy thing that looks like a pencil.

e.e. cummings would differ.
It may at first seem of little import, but for a poet who paid such exacting attention to typography, it must be said once and for all that his name should be written and printed with the usual capital letters in their usual places: "E. E. Cummings.''

Let us dispose, first of all, of the usual reaction when his name is mentioned in conversation: "Oh, isn't he the poet who never uses capitals?" Even a casual look at his poems shows that of course he uses capitals—he uses them frequently, albeit not always conventionally. The same goes for spacing, word and line breaks, parentheses, and punctuation, not to mention grammar and syntax.

What probably accounts for the common misperception that he is a lowercase poet is his usual printing of "I" as "i." Interestingly, he wrote in a letter to his mother, September 3, 1925 (Selected Letters, F. W. Dupee and George Stade, eds., 1969, pp. 108-9): "I am a small eye poet." Notice that he capitalizes the first-person singular, distinguishing between the writer of the letter and the writer of the poetry. And in his letters he most frequently used the uppercase form, with his signature at the bottom in caps, thus:
Thanks for the information on Poets and Capital Letters.

Last edited:
Back