JP spot welder open source

riba2233 said:
krlenjuska said:
Most difficult thing to do for me is to program pic controller - never tried this :)
It's simple once you have a programmer like pickit 2 or 3 with their own software, just connect it to pc, load the hex file, and press program :)
Looks like the old PIC K150 Programmer will also work.

Can anyone explain what specific mosfet leads the TVS gets attached to Gate, Drain, Source? In response to this: "Another TVS diode goes across the FET legs to catch what the other diode misses".

Thank you
Steve

stevecahill said:
Can anyone explain what specific mosfet leads the TVS gets attached to Gate, Drain, Source? In response to this: "Another TVS diode goes across the FET legs to catch what the other diode misses".

Thank you
Steve

Drain and source definitely :) Gate is just for mosfet control, no real power passing there.

Has anyone decided to build a batch of these for sale. I'd really like to use this welder but do not want to go to the trouble of fabricating one. Or is there a recommended alternative for someone who just wants to purchase a welder similar to the JP spot welder?

palmer_md said:
Has anyone decided to build a batch of these for sale. I'd really like to use this welder but do not want to go to the trouble of fabricating one. Or is there a recommended alternative for someone who just wants to purchase a welder similar to the JP spot welder?

I have all parts for 10pcs but simply dont have free time to finish this project.

I can’t seem to find the pink/purple 100u capacitor on digikey. Can someone post a digikey link please. I think I found everything else.

Riba - The souce code is missing the routines for obtaining the reading from the ADC. The mcppi file is also missing all the source code so you can't get it from there. Could you upload the code?

wakko said:
Riba - The souce code is missing the routines for obtaining the reading from the ADC. The mcppi file is also missing all the source code so you can't get it from there. Could you upload the code?

That's weird, I have the ADC part of the code in it. I have just copied that part from some other source.

Everything should be in the .mcppi file, I don't have anything else. My friend did the most of the code, I am not a programmer, sorry!

Code is in the files (code.txt).

This person has 2nd version with a cleaner build. My first version build of this is working fine.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ETusjwdcJw

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNEyO81XN30

Part3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPDhJe4rx_U&t=16s

Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/502079133941618/

Riba - Apologies, I've found that the function Get_ADC_Sample is included in the mikroC PRO libraries. I'm new to using mikroC PRO so I didn't know they had these libraries. I find that when you open the .mcppi file in mikro C PRO it refers to a source document called sw_pot.c but reports it as missing. I'm guessing the mcppi file is just a project file whilst the actual source code is saved separately as .c files. However you can simply rename Code.txt to sw_pot.c and it'll load up correctly.

wakko said:
Riba - Apologies, I've found that the function Get_ADC_Sample is included in the mikroC PRO libraries. I'm new to using mikroC PRO so I didn't know they had these libraries. I find that when you open the .mcppi file in mikro C PRO it refers to a source document called sw_pot.c but reports it as missing. I'm guessing the mcppi file is just a project file whilst the actual source code is saved separately as .c files. However you can simply rename Code.txt to sw_pot.c and it'll load up correctly.

Awesome, I'm glad you got it! Yes, the .c file was called that, but I renamed it in this folder so it was easier to recognize, but maybe I was wrong lol :) Thank you for your help.

Kweld mentions their welder can create issues with a pacemaker.
"This system produces significant magnet fields, do not use it when you have a cardiac pacemaker!"
Is this a concern with the JPWelder?

tomjasz said:
Kweld mentions their welder can create issues with a pacemaker.
"This system produces significant magnet fields, do not use it when you have a cardiac pacemaker!"
Is this a concern with the JPWelder?
Yes. If you have a pacemaker, don't let the welding cables get close to your chest. I think you'd have to be pretty close to actually cause a problem. More than a foot away should be OK.

Anybody has leftover PCBs that he would exchange for other open source PCBs (in Europe)? If you are interested please send me a private message.

(I prefer to avoid generating trash when I only need 1 pcb and someone might have extras)

I've created a BOM in octopart. Any feedback is welcome. As I'm a beginner with electronics it might have mistakes: https://octopart.com/bom-tool/arZtfLVR

It contains only the electronic parts, so don't forget about the rest (i.e. screws, bus bar, cables, connectors, pedal, electrode tip, etc).
I've added the schottky and the tvs diode as the last two items as they are optional.

Back