Man Gets Hit and Run Over at Vigil for Cyclist who was hit an Run and Killed

I am so getting a video camera.
This just happened to me 30 minutes ago, two blocks from home, I had my left hand extended out signaling to turn left and the car behind speeds pasted me on the left, lucky that I have a side mirror I saw the car so I stop turning and he(maybe a she)speeds away. Man, this was a close call. Four years ago I was sideswiped by a pick-up truck pulling a trailer. I didn't have a side mirror then.

Does any member have camera on their bike and if so any experiences and recommendations?
Is Sena Prism Tube helmet cam any good?

Mirrors are usually a good idea.

Hand signals...are useless. Hardly anyone (even other cyclists) have any idea what they mean. Years ago, when I still used hand signals, I've even had law enforcement wave at me when I was making a right turn signal, because they thought I was waving at them and didn't have any idea I was making a turn signal. :roll: Pedestrians, drivers, and other cyclists generally have no idea either.

However, *everyone* knows what the lighted turn signals and brake lights mean that cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc all use. Pedestrians, drivers, cyclists, etc. Even little kids know what they mean.

So long ago I started using those, and have had much less trouble with being ignored or misunderstood when communicating lane changes, turns, braking, etc.

I still don't trust that anyone in particular will "behave", so I still always watch around me as if I was invisible, even on SB Cruiser with a big trailer behind me. (even in a large motor vehicle, I would never trust that anyone saw my signals, and never assume I could change lanes or turn; I've seen so so many crashes caused by such assumptions....).

At night, I'm much more visible than in daylight, with all the downlighting, and generally I get more clearance from passing vehicles at night.

The fingers said:
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/06/28/young-bicyclist-fatally-struck-by-hit-and-run-driver-is-mourned/ :twisted:
Charge the woman already, LAPD incompetent!

A white Porsche should be easy enough to find. Hopefully then can tell which state the plate is from. Go through the DMV records, and hunt down more camera's on a wider grid. There should really be camera's at every light, then if something happens, they can send the culprits to prison. In the UK they got camera's everywhere, so I wonder what the rate of hit and run is over the pond.

markz said:
The fingers said:
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/06/28/young-bicyclist-fatally-struck-by-hit-and-run-driver-is-mourned/ :twisted:
Charge the woman already, LAPD incompetent!

A white Porsche should be easy enough to find. Hopefully then can tell which state the plate is from. Go through the DMV records, and hunt down more camera's on a wider grid. There should really be camera's at every light, then if something happens, they can send the culprits to prison. In the UK they got camera's everywhere, so I wonder what the rate of hit and run is over the pond.

The issue isn't finding the driver. The woman turned herself in. The issue is concern over why she hasn't been charged yet.

Back