multi year low in crude, shorts covering now

chvidgov.bc.ca said:
Ummm...isn't this what they call a downtrend?

i think the point i made was to observe that the trend had changed. the shorts covered after the longs capitulated.

in my opinion the reason the saudis have not cut back is because they are putting pressure on putin for backing assad.

i think it is the ebola panic, the recognition that travel is gonna be impacted, airlines will be losing money. shopping down, the market panics, but the solution for low prices is low prices. there is a load of kurdish oil that came from turkey sold into the east coast even cheaper than Bakken because of the transportation constraints.

if you had an interest, understanding this recent move would be educational. if not expensive.

I agree with you on both points - about Saudi pressure on Putin and Iran, and on the Ebola effect on world transportation...you must have read the same article I read.. I think crude's headed south for now..the shorts will cover and then it will get killed. World stock markets are headed south in general finally, it seems. I've been 100 percent cash since I got my inheritance, except for some high yield Canadian telephone utilities, which should be ok with a 4% yield in a weak macro environment - I don't see rates going up anytime soon with all this weakness. More likely 1% Fed funds rate for the next 10 years, or even negative bond yields like short rates in Germany. This environment is very deflationary - the economy of the US sucks - the unemployment statistics are a joke when you look at labour force participation etc. - that can't be good for energy demand. It does suck to be in the Canadian dollar though with weak energy markets, which is also headed south. Maybe I should own some U.S. cash.

Here's the extract...

Saudi Arabia to pressure Russia, Iran with price of oil

Saudi Arabia will force the price of oil down, in an effort to put political pressure on Iran and Russia, according to the President of Saudi Arabia Oil Policies and Strategic Expectations Center

Saudi Arabia plans to sell oil cheap for political reasons, one analyst says.

To pressure Iran to limit its nuclear program, and to change Russia's position on Syria, Riyadh will sell oil below the average spot price at $50 to $60 per barrel in the Asian markets and North America, says Rashid Abanmy, President of the Riyadh-based Saudi Arabia Oil Policies and Strategic Expectations Center. The marked decrease in the price of oil in the last three months, to $92 from $115 per barrel, was caused by Saudi Arabia, according to Abanmy.

With oil demand declining, the ostensible reason for the price drop is to attract new clients, Abanmy said, but the real reason is political. Saudi Arabia wants to get Iran to limit its nuclear energy expansion, and to make Russia change its position of support for the Assad Regime in Syria. Both countries depend heavily on petroleum exports for revenue, and a lower oil price means less money coming in, Abanmy pointed out. The Gulf states will be less affected by the price drop, he added.

The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, which is the technical arbiter of the price of oil for Saudi Arabia and the 11 other countries that make up the group, won't be able to affect Saudi Arabia's decision, Abanmy maintained.

The organization's decisions are only recommendations and are not binding for the member oil producing countries, he explained.

What sucks is that the price of crude going up permeates through increased prices of everything fairly rapidly, but crude price decreases don't.

That means recession or we are winning and oil is worth less
Either way "recession"
Is a good thing
Followed by depression of prices
And a rise in joy

You're right flathill. We are winning. Its all part the of the obsolescence of oil, which takes a long time. We are a key part of that puzzle. I like to consider that when I help my friends put their ebikes together. It makes me feel useful.

Back