Next, scratch that. THIS years bike

Holy post batman! ill try to answer all the questions.
Yes and no, the headtube joint will be reinforced with a large 10 AWG chromoly sheet gusset, but the Chromoly tubing I am using is so goddam tough that im not sure that the gusset is even needed. I did a mockup weld of the headtube and tested it to destruction. heres the details of the test:

A piece of the 1.5" thin wall chromoly (.035") fish-mouthed with a mill, welded 90* perpendicular to a piece of 1.5" thick wall chromoly (.125"). The piece of thick wall was placed over a piece of 1.125" chromoly solid rod, and a 10 foot long piece of heavy wall mild steel tubing was slid over the piece of thin wall tubing. A weight was placed on the end of the 10 foot piece of heavy wall, it held 475 pounds before failing. This was without a gusset or heat treatment.

Brakes wise, the gatorbrake is the baddest "Bike" brake I have seen, and it was really cheap. 80 bucks cheap. Its about half again larger than the 4 piston shimano brakes, and the pads are huge and cheap. The bike will use a much larger than available floating SS rotor.

The seat position Isn't final, im not sure if im using an XR50 seat or a real bike seat.

As for caster, or rake angle, I was tweaking and tuning on last years bike, trying angled headsets, different amounts of sag in the front and rear suspension different tire sizes etc... and have worked out a good performing headset angle that this frame will use.

Wheelsize is 24", large tires are available and its not as useless offroad as the 20"

hope that answers them all

2011-12-29171422.jpg

WOW.... the magic pie has a bigger diameter than, what is that... a crystalyte x5?

I measured about 11in. from the spoke flange to spoke flange on my 20" motor..

Got my pie to day and tested it at 1800w.. quite thrilling compared to the MXUS.. and will be hooking it up to 4000w tomorrow.

I can't even imagine two pies.. i have a suspicion that you are going to make cromotor owners jealous.

Farfle said:
... More progress on the motor end of things, got the two lam stacks connected together, and got the two magnet rings glued together, ...
Wow! It's going to be a monster motor!

Just curious: Would running two individual motors - front and rear - accomplishes the same thing? I can see the disadvantage of having 2 controllers, but is there something else?

End turn losses, spinning the front wheel under power, poor handling, front fork dropout failure, lack of custom winds.... I could go on :roll: . Mostly I wanted a hubmotor with the right Rpm/V lots of stator poles, the largest diameter I could get and all of this as inexpensively as possible. There are no hubmotors out there that match that. and total cost on this guy is still under 300 bucks including shipping.

all the wire that goes from one slot to the next is not doing anything, its just making heat. the only copper doing any good is the stuff in the slots, which the wider the stator is the bigger the ratio of end turn to useful copper is

Looks like a wonderful idea to me. Sorry I did not think of it first. Beefy, fatty motor :shock: ought to have lots of torque to say the least. Great to see you able to build so much of the bike on your own.

Farfle, why not 3 magic pies and a 17" moto wheel?
Btw whats the stator size of a magic pie?

gensem said:
Farfle, why not 3 magic pies and a 17" moto wheel?
Btw whats the stator size of a magic pie?
The stator is 260mm by 38mm, 63teeth. And cause I didnt want to end up with a "reasonable mans bike" And whatshisface at the track doesnt like motorcycle bits, hence the bike brake and not a moto brake.

If this motor works out, i vote that you make a DIY kit for putting it together.. consisting of a custom axle, appropriate length of magnet wire, enamel, epoxy, hall sensors, instructions etc.

I'd call it the Boboli motor.

Well, we will have to see what kind of numbers come out of it, there is a lot of manual machining thas done that involves quite a bit of time, so kits would probably be costly. I guess it will all depend on intrest.

farfle i think the reality is there is a community interested in what you are doing; the interest in the x5400 and cromotor prove it. It's a worldwide interest, it's a growing market, and it's a true hotrod/hobbyist field where price is only an object when you run out of funds. All i'm saying is that if machining down two MP stators and gluing em together works better then the other options out there, then an interest will exist. Then again you haven't wound it yet, right? That's the horrible tedious part of the whole thing as far as I thought?

I have a couple HS35's that I burnt. If you're motor looks successful I will start truly moving on making an hs70; I only hesitate due to lack of funds and the complexity/confidence factor. If it's really as simple as machining down a flange, epoxying things together, rewinding the motor and making a custom axle then I'll do it over the coming year or two. Can't wait to see this motor in action.

Mmmm TIG is sexy.... Looking good!

andynogo said:
Mmmm TIG is sexy.... Looking good!

thanks mate, getting better at the whole not dipping the electrode thing :D . And in other news, got the front wheel laced up. had to drill out the holes in the wheel AND the hub (barely) to get these 12ga spokes to fit, but daaamn they look beefy.

2012-01-01224338.jpg

2012-01-01224414.jpg

Farfle said:
Well, we will have to see what kind of numbers come out of it, there is a lot of manual machining thas done that involves quite a bit of time, so kits would probably be costly. I guess it will all depend on intrest.

Costly like what? I do think there is a market but the market is not big if you are talking over a thousand...
btw a dual magic pie stacked to together should be 20% stronger than the cromotor and it should cool better too.

Back