Next, scratch that. THIS years bike

My daily rider cargo bike has started snapping it's short 9ga spokes. After over 3 years I'm sure it's mostly cause by neglect. I only bring it up because you're running a whole lot more torque, and if 14ga had such a short life how can 12ga be enough better to consider it reliable? I don't think Luke's is a valid comparison, since his far smaller diameter hub makes his spokes able to act a lot more like springs than our short spokes.

Im hoping the 20" rim solves it. if it doesnt, then ill probably press an aluminum ring onto the outside of the motor and weld the damn rim to it.

Farfle said:
Im hoping the 20" rim solves it. if it doesnt, then ill probably press an aluminum ring onto the outside of the motor and weld the damn rim to it.

With your skills and tools you should just go straight to spokeless. I did something similar to create a wheel for a scooter hubbie for which rims were non-existent here. That wheel is still going strong 4 years later.

Ok, heres some pics of the bike in it's current state, there's not a whole lot left to describe, the frame is out for powder coating, and the wheel is laced up. Thank you JRH for the quick delivery!

2012-03-24111419-1.jpg

2012-03-24111406-1.jpg

hehe,
That thing just makes me smile.
looks so totaly Mad Max you have to love it!

This is getting really cool Farfel! Woot!

Nice work man! Is it even possible for the rear wheel to get out of true with such short spokes?

You better be riding this at Grange, unless of course you bring a cute jockey that will beat Luke! :lol:

Farfle said:
Ok, heres some pics of the bike in it's current state, there's not a whole lot left to describe, the frame is out for powder coating, and the wheel is laced up.
How did it perform on the race track or w/further testing? Is the frame & geometry just what you expected in performance riding/racing? Anything you would change?

I guess you don't have time to build similar frames or these dual-pies for sale? :D

Can you post-up some more video. :twisted: This time don't try to record the CA screen while going top speeds... just show us the road view front/rear like Luke did in this last race or like Greg does rocketing around DC.

Awesome project & beautiful work too! 8)

deVries said:
Farfle said:
Ok, heres some pics of the bike in it's current state, there's not a whole lot left to describe, the frame is out for powder coating, and the wheel is laced up.
How did it perform on the race track or w/further testing? Is the frame & geometry just what you expected in performance riding/racing? Anything you would change?

I guess you don't have time to build similar frames or these dual-pies for sale? :D

Can you post-up some more video. :twisted: This time don't try to record the CA screen while going top speeds... just show us the road view front/rear like Luke did in this last race or like Greg does rocketing around DC.

Awesome project & beautiful work too! 8)

The bike performed great on the track, the rider not so much, I build bikes a heck of alot better than i ride them :roll: :lol: . IMHO, the swingarm is a bit too flexy, both laterally and torsionally, so im going to be making a new one that resembles the zero swingarm, as its a pretty elegant solution:
WR250R_Zero_DS_IMG_5530.jpg

the frame handled VERY well, the brakes were excellent, if anybody id doing a performance ebike build, they need moped brakes. even the tiny moped brakes kick the crap out of the biggest baddest bike brakes. That being said, hucking 320 pounds of un-smooth "full throttle out of the corner followed by slam on the brakes before you get to the next corner" riding around the track was not gentle on them, and I DNF'd in the second heat race because I Warped the front brake rotor so badly that it was rattling and bucking the caliper. Anywho, we brought a go-pro mounted to the bars, but its battery died right before we started the final race, so I have heat one and the DNF heat two recorded.

Farfle said:
Anywho, we brought a go-pro mounted to the bars, but its battery died right before we started the final race, so I have heat one and the DNF heat two recorded.
Thanks! for the update. :D Have you got a link for your video yet? :?: :?: Post it here too when you've done the upload. I saw the pics you posted but have missed your race video so far.

Anyway, great job Farfle & thanks for sharing your race experience too! i.e. the brakes, sa, etc. 8)

After breaking 2 normal kickstands, and one expensive one, I have finally been forced to make my own. But while I was gathering parts for the kickstand, I saw these: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-3-4-quarter-inch-109-led-flashlight-98506.html at harbor freight, and got two. With one cheap 5v cell-phone charger to use as a DC-DC converter, heres the end result :D.

2012-05-01173836.jpg

2012-05-01173847.jpg

2012-05-01173905.jpg

2012-05-01173919.jpg

2012-05-01214002.jpg

Nice build Farfle.
I'm in the process of building a custom frame and the designs I've been playing with are fairly similar to yours with the shock set up like that.
What's the rear travel and ride like on yours ?
I guess we're taking different applications, I'm looking at something similar but with a slightly shorter wheel base for a plush offroader without being an extreme DH bike to ride off cliffs.

Hyena said:
Nice build Farfle.
I'm in the process of building a custom frame and the designs I've been playing with are fairly similar to yours with the shock set up like that.
What's the rear travel and ride like on yours ?
I guess we're taking different applications, I'm looking at something similar but with a slightly shorter wheel base for a plush offroader without being an extreme DH bike to ride off cliffs.

The rear travel is around 6.5"-7" and the front fork is around 7.5"-8". As far as ride goes, Etard says it rides like a 80's caddy, I think it rides really smooth, but would never jump it, its too soft and the rear swingarm is still a bit too flexy to take a ton of abuse IMHO. Im going to shorten the wheelbase on mine about 4" with the new swingarm.

Farfle said:
The rear travel is around 6.5"-7" and the front fork is around 7.5"-8". As far as ride goes, Etard says it rides like a 80's caddy, I think it rides really smooth, but would never jump it, its too soft and the rear swingarm is still a bit too flexy to take a ton of abuse IMHO. Im going to shorten the wheelbase on mine about 4" with the new swingarm.
Nice, that's pretty much exactly what I was planning (right down to thinking I'd make my swing arm a few inches shorter than yours) so it's nice to know you've already tested it :)
I have my stealth fighter set up the same way - it's super plush which I like and because I'm not launching over massive drops it's no issue.
Have you played with the different lower shock mounts or just left it in the middle ?

I have messed with the other shock mounts, anything further inboard bottoms out with me on it, but would be suita ble for a lighter rider. There's just the position that provides the best ride without bottoming out.

Have some serious work to do, but riverside, here I come :twisted: :twisted:

Should be sticky enough :twisted: :twisted:
2012-06-20200658.jpg

2012-06-20200705.jpg

Intestinal lube, for pies that aren't big enough :twisted: :twisted:
MineralOil.jpg

Oh, whats this?
antifreeze.jpg

And these too, why thank you mister yammy :mrgreen: :twisted:
2012-06-20201822.jpg

He he heeeeee. Its a whole different animal now :twisted: :twisted: Cant wait for the new back tire :twisted: .

DSCN3195.jpg

DSCN3193.jpg

Torque is like crack. Damn you Farfle for destroying my ability to get a rush out of 74v and50a... It's just not enough...

windmafia said:
Torque is like crack. Damn you Farfle for destroying my ability to get a rush out of 74v and50a... It's just not enough...

Is that you mike? if so, glad to see you on the sphere.

Back