Next, scratch that. THIS years bike

Well, parts cost is about 400, plus about 10 hours of my time, so if the machine makes ten and I make 10, thats 600 dollars, assuming that I can continue to source magic pies for 100 apiece, which may not be possible as these were new ones with failed controllers, and i'm not sure if he has much more left. But anywho, if theres enough interest I would be happy to unleash the double pie on ES.

geetarboy said:
Nice design and excellent craftsmanship Farfle, That baby will ride like floating on a cloud with that 52" wheelbase.

Thanks mate, I really hope so, my biggest concern is the position of the rear shock, it was 1"/3" with a 650lb spring last year, and it was WAY too stiff. even with compression topped out, we still had to let air out of the rear tire to keep it from getting squirly around the rumpled asphalt sections. going for 1"/4"-4.5" on this frame, and ordered in a lighter second spring just in case.

Remember that the cromotor is about $700 shipped to the USA. That's what you're competing with. If you end up with better performance, the double pie could be a hit.. even if it is a wind-it-yourself affair :)

I know that the pie is taller than the 9C/Cromotor.. if the stator width is 25mm, then you'll have 50mm just like the cromotor.. but taller..

Anyway i'll shut up now.. :lol:

neptronix said:
Remember that the cromotor is about $700 shipped to the USA. That's what you're competing with. If you end up with better performance, the double pie could be a hit.. even if it is a wind-it-yourself affair :)

I know that the pie is taller than the 9C/Cromotor.. if the stator width is 25mm, then you'll have 50mm just like the cromotor.. but taller..

Anyway i'll shut up now.. :lol:
oops, a single stator width is not 25mm, its 18mm, so its 37mm total, 3mm narrower than the 54xx and 13mm narrower than the cromotor, but that could be fixed by doing a triple pie at 54mm :twisted: :twisted:

2011-12-29181812.jpg

Nice looking welds.
Also wondering
What size bottom bracket did you go with?

Well, its an 80s giant mtb chromoly bb, that I made an inch longer to clear the controller if it ends up going there, no idea how wide it is.

Farfle said:

Erm... I was really thinking of a 11" motor with a 50mm stator.. So the dual pie might not be stronger than a cromotor.
600 usd is not hi a price, but winding all thoses slots would be a major pain.

It is similar size to the cromotor, bigger than an 54xx, but wound with a usefull kv it will end up being about 11.5kv

Thats a sweet bike your building. I wish I had the $$ to build something like that. Best of luck to you.

Getting more done, been working on the next batch of Genesis swing arms , so not a whole lot of progress, here's some more pictures.

2012-01-03165222.jpg

2012-01-03165350.jpg

Lookin good man! Am I seeing that right? The swingarm
rotates around the Bottom Bracket? If so, I like this idea, my Cove G-spot had this design and clamped onto bearings around the bottom bracket.

Farfle said:
Getting more done, been working on the next batch of Genesis swing arms , so not a whole lot of progress, here's some more pictures.

2012-01-03165222.jpg

2012-01-03165350.jpg

Hi Farfle,
Its coming together well. Can I ask a quick question, how did you bend the rectangle steel for your swingarm :?: It looks a lot better than what I did for mine.

A frame that flexes at high speeds around corners would be a concern. Single pivot designs seem to have those issues.

Multi link suspension can be just as flexy, if not moreso from the additional slop of multiple pivots. It is more important to design the pivot and swingarm correctly than to worry about the type of linkage.

Battery pack is assembled! 24s 3p of 5 ah nanotechs, entering the 1kw/hr club in style :mrgreen: 8)

2012-01-04090754.jpg

2012-01-04093324.jpg

2012-01-04094152.jpg

24s3p? why not just go for it with 36s2p? :p

Andje said:
24s3p? why not just go for it with 36s2p? :p

Farfle is going to wind his motor, and im gessing its going to be a fast wind. Like 15kv, so he can use 4110 mosfets that handle more current. :)

nicobie said:
I did battery work ONCE on a steel bench. :oops:

I already know how this ends.. and my condolences :shock:
Is that how you got your avatar pic? :mrgreen:

hhaaha its SO true; i hadn't noticed. Trusting your $$$ to those chinese brand red plastic connectors lol. That would make one hell of an interesting vid; i can see the youtube caption now: "...skip to 1:43 to see one pack weld itself to the table... skip to 10:54 for the fireball...".

The stock/factory connectors look like they provide some protection. But never hurts to be too safe.
Best quote I heard about wiring lipos

"Like working with a hand gernade with the pin pulled out"

Yep take off the wedding ring. Or electical tape it if it does not come off.
When possible try to use plastic knife rather than metal knife for cutting.
Move all metal tools off the bench. Only work with 1 exposed wire at a time.

Do you plan on sticking with the stock connectors or install new/different ones?

Lipo language translated for those in need.
24s3p explained
24s is 4bricks. Each brick has six individual cells. So 24s is 4X6
3p is 3sets of the 4bricks

Anyways looking good. Cant wait to see the final product.

Back