Poll: Should Windsor Crack Down On Ebikes?

The fingers said:
Blames e-bikes while showing a photo of a motor scooter. That should really skew the results. Voted no, twice! :p
Me too :p

They've elected the village idiots.
~KF

A local paper is once again trying get support to have ebikes legislated out of existence in Ontario. Please come and help your friends in CANADA!

Click this link and vote NO!

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/02/28/star-editorial-e-bikes-dont-belong-on-trails-and-pathways/

Gary

Of course they have to put up a photo of an electric scooter and call it an eBike.

There is a push here to have all cyclists - even pedal powered ones, and kids on training wheels included to be licensed and registered. We're congesting our roads to breaking point, getting obesity, and idiotic car drivers who get annoyed by being held up a few seconds every day, would rather another car slowing them down and taking their parking spot, than allow a rider to ride for free.

Made the rounds yesterday IIRC.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48145&p=708530&hilit=Windsor#p708530

Must be a large population of frustrated car drivers around Windsor? They always seem to have it in for ebikes.

I voted. But when I tried to vote again the numbers did not change.

Hello everyone, we need your help in Canada. This poll is being run by a local newspaper and they are trying to have Ebikes licenced and insured. They have already banned them on the multi-use trails and bike lanes on the roads in some municipalities. The city I live in has welcomed them. They are allowed in the bike lanes on the roads. Also allowed on the multi-use trails if under 40kg. Other cites are actively legislating against them. Now an all out ban is being attempted by local newspapers as the have to steer around us while they are drinking their coffee on the way to work.

PLEASE EVERYONE follow this link and vote against licensing Ebikes. Change your browser and vote again. We really need your help here in Canada. Lets save Ebikes worldwide!

Here is the link and your effort to help us will only take seconds and could right the terrible wrong being done against us!

If you are a member of any other forum please post this message over there as well, we are currently losing this poll 347 to 170 against us!

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/02/28/star-editorial-e-bikes-dont-belong-on-trails-and-pathways/

Gary

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:36:22 AM by GM Canada »

"While the city has almost 30 kilometres of trails, the average width is just three metres. There’s not a single path they could recommend."

Just 30 km? My country home town of Warwick had more than 30 km of bike paths!

And they are three meters wide?! Is the population of Windsor so overweight a 3 m wide trail cannot be used to pass?

And why are they polling on licensing when the article is really all about banning them?

The administrative burden of licensing bikes, e-bikes and scooters would be a nightmare...

Interesting things those electric scooters. I haven"t yet seen one here, but possibly somebody somewhere owns one. E-bikes are not under much discussion here on that sense. They are so rare, expecially selfbuilt ones, that public"s awareness has not yet started. Classic pedallers do not expect to see e-bike. I am still waiting when i see one, i"ll let you know. It might take a year though :mrgreen: They have started to ban gas scooters from those multi-use trails here. Interesting to see when public"s awareness wakes up here about e-bikes, if ever. Majority of our middle-aged males are quite anti-bicycle anyway. They possibly like e-bikes m o r e, than normal bicycles i think. Because it has a motor, it satisfies their mind more than normal bicycle. Die-hard pedallists aside. Normal car-driving male propably likes e-bikes more than normal bicycles. It is quite amazing to see that kind of ban-sign on the trail, what is in that picture of that story.
That means there"s quite a lot e-bikes over there, that public"s and city"s awareness has reached that level.

Poll Question: Do you think e-bikes should be licensed?
Yes 56.33% (374 votes)
No 42.47% (282 votes)
I don't know 1.2% (8 votes)
Total Votes: 664

Yee HAH! GO Baby, Go!
:D

Thanks guys! (Windsor, Ontario you may not know is across the river from Detroit, and so VERY car-centric...)

Evoforce said:
I like how the poll taker worded the poll so bias.

This is a big problem with the editorial staff at the various "star" papers in Canada. They don't like Ebikes so they slat every article against us.

Please vote at home, work, your friends house, on your phone, anywhere you can. Also send an email to all you friends family co workers and anyone that cares about you.

Click the link and vote NO!

Gary

Poll Question: Do you think e-bikes should be licensed?
Yes 55.23% (375 votes)
No 43.59% (296 votes)
I don't know 1.18% (8 votes)
Total Votes: 679

I know I said this already, but, YEE HA!

You guys on ES ROCK!

• If you use the InPrivate feature of IE then you can vote again: This disallows the cookie to be placed on your system.
  • Also, you can go through the cache and delete that specific cookie and it might work again.
  • Finally, resetting your router to create a new IP address (with up to 256 permutations) is possible. Frankly that’s a lot of work, though being able to vote twice on my desktop is enough for me.
Didn’t think of the mobile option: Good point. :wink:

Down with twisted pollers, KF

Dang, the cookie idea didn’t work, but I was able to vote again with InPrivate this morning – though not sure why that occurred. :?

:idea: Oh, I just thought of another idea :idea:
  • Create a new virtual session in whatever O/S and use that browser which should render a multitude of voting options. I added two more just now, so that’s me for 6 (counting the mobile). :twisted:
Serves them right cos they are filtering comments; mine from yesterday has been deleted. Wasn’t much though I stated that the picture was of a scooter and not an ebike, and that I could run faster than the proposed 10 km/h limit.

I think I'll reset my router.

Nanny state nits. KF
Edit: updated my count.

Kingfish said:
Dang, the cookie idea didn’t work, but I was able to vote again with InPrivate this morning – though not sure why that occurred. :?

:idea: Oh, I just thought of another idea :idea:
  • Create a new virtual session in whatever O/S and use that browser which should render a multitude of voting options. I added two more just now, so that’s me for 5. :twisted:
Serves them right cos they are filtering comments; mine from yesterday has been deleted. Wasn’t much though I stated that the picture was of a scooter and not an ebike, and that I could run faster than the proposed 10 km/h limit.

I think I'll reset my router.

Nanny state nits. KF
I don't think your votes are counting the numbers are going up from others. I tried inprivate with no luck. It always says I voted but the numbers never change. Probably looks at your ip adress.

The IP Address is the same for both virtual and real sessions, so it’s not that. Could be the UserAgent of the VM which is XP Pro SP3 IE8. I have not tried to exploit using different UAs which can be accomplished in FF and Opera, or through DevTools in IE.

There could be a detection script blocking re-vote based on frequency within a specific time (possibly as the reason why InPrivate worked twice in 24 hours), or could be a tracking agent bug. It's difficult to say without digging in deeper.

Regardless, I registered 4 unique votes this morning – and I haven’t gone to the XBox yet! :twisted:

Mischievous, KF

Well the XBox was a bust; the poll won't load properly - and I'm basing that on their end of the business trying to sniff about.

Also tried using the Windows Phone Emulator which lets you vote, but you can't see the results - so I don't think that worked either. Can't use the Android Emulator cos I uninstalled it last week for persisting in the background without a opt-out.

Anyways - last I checked the underdogs were at 305 vs 375.

I've done my bit. KF

The fingers said:
Blames e-bikes while showing a photo of a motor scooter.

except, that "motor scooter" is classified as an ebike, and it's the "scooterbikes" that people want off the multi-use paths.
see here,
http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/e-bikes/index.htm

That's the main point of the discussion here,
should "scooterbikes" be allowed on narrow multi-use recreation path?
IMO, no... (and it seems most on ES agrees with that)
should "scooterbikes" be licensed ?
IMO, no...

* look close for the fake pedals...
30-ebike3623.jpg

e-bike.jpg

Use TOR
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

You may not need the protection but the people that do need it need your traffic to hide in.

Back