possibly E biker slapped with Felony Charges in Fort Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I build my next bike, I'm going to register it as a motorcycle, even if it still looks like a bicycle. But for now, they'll have to catch me to harass me.

I still like the idea of more people building fast bikes and breaking the stupid laws though. If more people see neat electric bikes that can keep up with traffic, which is a safer way to ride, then the possibility will increase that manufacturers that have the resources to back intelligent laws will want to build more capable bikes. If everyone rides around boring, slow, 20mph bikes that are in everybody's way, the laws are going to get more oppressive because more people are going to see ebikes in a negative light.

So, I'm also calling BS on the felony for riding a bike crap. If it's not BS, it's time for some Anon type action against the city of Fort Collins.

I'm really sick of people talking about stupid laws that make no sense and people allowing themselves to be harassed because of them instead of taking steps to show the public the potential of electric two wheeled transportation and doing what they can to get sensible laws put in place instead.

I just googled a little on Colorado vehicle laws.

You're not getting a felony in a vehicle unless:

You stole it.
You're operating it under the influence
You're running from the cops with it
You're trying to use or did use it as a weapon
You're trafficing contraband with it (and only sometimes would this be a felony)
You're operating it in a way to cause immediate endangerment to lives (if you're just operating it in a way to cause danger to property it's gonna be tough to end up with a felony)

In the event one or more of those things does happen, they aren't crushing the vehicle (except for some modern bizarre street racing specific laws in some states). Even if you're driving it full of coke, they seize it clean it out, and sell it at police auctions. If it's stolen they return it to it's owner. If you used it for a weapon they hold it as evidence. If you're intoxicated they impound it and make you pay a fee to get it back.

The odds they are going to crush a bicycle (particularly since ANY ebike is perfectly legal to own and ride off-road, race tracks, etc) If you ride your dirtbike (another off-road vehicle) down the street they can take it, some cops might impound it, write you an infraction, then you pay to get your bike back from impound.

Ok, I have asked our newspaper reporter, David Young, to look into it. He reports on bikes in Fort Collins.

I have not been able to find any info in the reports either. I am trying to get more info.

Josh K.

Raise your weapon
This would never happen in lake tahoe
For a broken leg
Colorado has a bunch of hard asses
Law and order sheriff types
Whether anyone was injured doesnt matter if the cop wants to be dick
Only class 3 in this case

Colorado Braking Its Reckless Skiers
By WILLIAM E. SCHMIDT, Special to the New York Times
Published: April 16, 1989
SIGN IN TO E-MAIL
PRINT

The two accidents were among the worst on the Colorado ski slopes this season: an 11-year-old girl was killed and an 8-year-old boy's leg was shattered. Both children were struck by adult skiers out of control.

A prosecutor in the mountain town of Hot Sulphur Springs brought felony criminal charges against the skiers. It was the first time in Colorado that recreational skiers had confronted felony charges as a result of behavior on the slopes.

Now those two incidents, which occurred in February, have become the focus of a much wider debate among ski resort operators, law-enforcement officials and lawyers.

As the Colorado skiing season draws to a close, the cases have led to questions about what resorts are or are not doing to police their own slopes and whether it is appropriate for local law-enforcement agencies in ski towns to start going after reckless skiers as they would go after reckless drivers. 'You Become a Deadly Weapon'

''If you ski fast and do not operate with other people's rights in mind, you become a deadly weapon, just as happens when you drive a car recklessly,'' said District Attorney Greg Long of Grand and Routt counties, who brought the felony charges in the two cases in northern Colorado. It is common for good skiers in good condition to travel up to 30 miles an hour without losing control.

-------
Here is an even stupider class 1 case
I guess you can endanger yourself

Williamsburg Bridge Acrobat Charged With Felony Offense

Photo via bitchcakesny's Flickr
Earlier this week, acrobat Seanna Sharpe and magician Thomas "Savage" Skinner shocked and awed audiences with a daredevil acrobat stunt atop the Williamsburg Bridge. Naturally, the duo was arrested mere moments after setting foot back upon solid ground, and now, Sharpe speaks out about her charges.
Sharpe was charged with felony reckless endangerment for the stunt, which involved her climbing up the bridge tower and performing a 15-minute acrobatic routine with silk ropes. She told The Post that while she was planning on being arrested, she wasn't anticipating charges that severe. Sharpe said that during the three months she spent planning for the event, her research showed that others who've pulled stunts on the Bridge got "slap-on-the-wrist misdemeanors." "I'm a professional... The cars on the ground were more of a danger than I was. Statistically, I, as an aerialist, am less likely to die on my apparatus than you are in a taxi." She also said that because the Bridge is public, she shouldn't have been charged with criminal trespassing.
Sharpe and Skinner spent Monday and, according to this report, Tuesday night in Rikers. We are currently working to confirm whether or not they are still in custody, though the previous report notes, "I'm told internet supporters helped them raise bail last night within just 3 hours." If Sharpe is convicted, she could face up to seven years in prison.

Josh K. said:
Get over it, and understand that our opportunity is closing, for people who are not into following the law. I do, and promote following
the 750 watt limit. We have a great opportunity, and I recommend that everyone follow the law, so that we can continue on in creating
the most efficient form of transportation known to human kind.

Maybe the law needs to change and the problem is you for continually stirring up the idea of detuning our fun machines? You wanted to convince Pat to make the pike's peak hill climb a 750 watt limited butt staring contest too.

We should respond to unjust electric bicycle laws like alcohol producers did during the prohibition, like marijunana smokers deal with those laws now, like Rosa parks and later many blacks dealt with being forced to the back of the bus.

Stop advocating that everyone follows unjust laws. if you are going to do something in city hall, call for increasing the speed limits. Get other people to come with you. Organize! stop identifying with your oppressor like you have a case of stockholm syndrome!

If this is real, why would your first instinct be to scare everyone on here rather than start a legal fund for the guy!

I think it is time to fight back against the traditional DOT legality nonsense. a 30 mph 100 lb electric bicycle should not even be considered. We have too much time for Policing this type of thing.

Nep,
You called him correctly, along with amber. They don't crush evidence for a long time because of appeals. Josh is just a product of too much CO medical "J" treatment at best and a fraud at worst. Someone should put him on "moderate" for a very long time. Or wander over and give him a good kick into sophrano land.

neptronix said:
Josh K. said:
Get over it, and understand that our opportunity is closing, for people who are not into following the law. I do, and promote following
the 750 watt limit. We have a great opportunity, and I recommend that everyone follow the law, so that we can continue on in creating
the most efficient form of transportation known to human kind.

Maybe the law needs to change and the problem is you for continually stirring up the idea of detuning our fun machines? You wanted to convince Pat to make the pike's peak hill climb a 750 watt limited butt staring contest too.

We should respond to unjust electric bicycle laws like alcohol producers did during the prohibition, like marijunana smokers deal with those laws now, like Rosa parks and later many blacks dealt with being forced to the back of the bus.

Stop advocating that everyone follows unjust laws. if you are going to do something in city hall, call for increasing the speed limits. Get other people to come with you. Organize! stop identifying with your oppressor like you have a case of stockholm syndrome!

If this is real, why would your first instinct be to scare everyone on here rather than start a legal fund for the guy!

I agree.. i think the original post should be deleted otherwise im going to start making alien abduction posts that hopefully most of you respond with wtf comments.

ohzee said:
I agree.. i think the original post should be deleted otherwise im going to start making alien abduction posts that hopefully most of you respond with wtf comments.

:mrgreen: :lol:

If you dont believe in blair witch then why the hell did you bother to come
Remember the media wants you to be afraid
Just have fun
We got your back

But dont edit fiction
You are all bullshite
Perception is reality
You are predicting the future and you dont even know it
Or you do and you dont

Getting harassed by the cops for ebiking is an opportunity. The Federal Law pertaining to ebikes would be very persuasive(it may even be mandatory) in a lower court, especially in absence of a local, or state, statute. If you get caught, and are operating within the confines of the Consumer product Safety Act (15 U.S.C. 2051 et seq) SEC. 38.(a-d), consider fighting your case in court. It's likely you may win, and possibly establish favorable case law pertaining to ebikes in your area.

This is not legal advice, always consult with a qualified attorney.

'sounds like OP has an Axe to grind and jumping to conclusions based on "a friend of a friend of a friend...", if even that?

I vote put this thread "on hold" and/or at least edit the extremely misleading and sensational title until some EVIDENCE surfaces that supports the claim of felony charges?

Otherwise it's just fear mongering for whatever cause, purpose or mental defect OP suffers?

I agree, Edit the Subject to reflect current known facts, lock the post and the OP down.

Ykick said:
'sounds like OP has an Axe to grind and jumping to conclusions based on "a friend of a friend of a friend...", if even that?

I vote put this thread "on hold" and/or at least edit the extremely misleading and sensational title until some EVIDENCE surfaces that supports the claim of felony charges?

Otherwise it's just fear mongering for whatever cause, purpose or mental defect OP suffers?

scotticeberg said:
The Federal Law pertaining to ebikes
It's only a CPSC regulation regarding manufacturers and what they can produce/sell as a low-powered ebike.

It has zero to do with what you can build yourself or what you can ride. Only your state, county, city, municipality, or other local law-creating organization can tell you what you can or can't ride on the public roads.

As of tonight, none of the newspapers, legal organizations, bike- or ebike-related companies, or bicycle-related community groups have responded to my emails at all, except for Ridekick's noted previously.

I did a search. Found this; http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012309280029&nclick_check=1

Fort Collins police Lt. Hal Dean demonstrates an electric-powered motorcycle that police are testing. The Brammo Enertia Plus LE goes 80 miles on a single charge. / Robert Allen/The Coloradoan

I thought this fellow might provide some information, so I gave him a phone call and he returned my call. Lt. Dean said "Currently, there is no record of any Felony Charges laid or pending against any electric bike operator. All seized bikes not returned to their owners, go to http://www.propertyroom.com/ after the case has been dealt with, as a matter of City Policy."

Under the circumstances shouldn't the OP be dealt with by the admin?

Wow, After 12 years of being in the E bike industry, working with thousands of people to understand what we have going here, this is the way you want to treat me? I didn't have to share this with you guys at all.

I have heard that this fella is out of town, his name is Dave, and he is willing to speak with us soon.

Most likely, their is more to the story, and I will get to the bottom of it, mainly to clear my name, now.

I assure you, this is the info that I have heard, and it really really comes from a reliable source. I assure you, it is something that is very bothersome to me, and my life's work in this field. Now please stop slandering me, don't kill the messenger, and hang in there, as we will have more info on it.

Josh K.

Ignore the oily dipsticks, Josh.

When you get the skinny, post it up.

Post a SERIOUS claim and have no evidence to back it up? Obviously, you want it to be what you want it to be - I think there might be something to your "story" but in the apparent haste to promote a personal vindetta the facts don't seem to support the LIE of this thread title.

Please, please, please, put me on your iggy list along with any other "dipstick" that disagrees with the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...

So far no reply from most of the people I emailed, including the city and newspapers. The only 3 replies besides Ridekick simply said they haven't heard of it yet, though Jacob of Panda Bicycles said he'd let me know if he does hear anything.

amberwolf;
This is the tech writer for the newspaper and he has not found anything either, RobertAllen@coloradoan.com

amberwolf said:
So far no reply from most of the people I emailed, including the city and newspapers. The only 3 replies besides Ridekick simply said they haven't heard of it yet, though Jacob of Panda Bicycles said he'd let me know if he does hear anything.

guys, i've known josh for years, going back to the old V and the yahoo groups, he's built tire smoking etek powered trikes and involved in ebike and ev industry for a long time, i honstly dont see this being bogus info on his part, maybe a misunderstanding but certainly not malicious on his part intentionally...

Ypedal said:
guys, i've known josh for years, going back to the old V and the yahoo groups, he's built tire smoking etek powered trikes and involved in ebike and ev industry for a long time, i honstly dont see this being bogus info on his part, maybe a misunderstanding but certainly not malicious on his part intentionally...

Perhaps edit title to something less definitive (and embarrassing for Josh) until more information becomes available? It just bugs me and probably others to read this title and not be able to find ANYTHING to support these "Felony Charges" claim.

Okay, ok...

I do publicly apologize, as I have made a mistake, and broadcast this information without verifiable evidence. :oops:

I should not have said anything, but it really got to me, and really matters to me too.

Unfortunately, we have not been able to find out more info yet...Infact our local reporter, has not been able to find it either,
even asking the police directly. I know it seems odd, and unbelievable. I am sorry I said anything.

But, I do believe my friend, and will continue to request some more info. And, when verifiable, I will let people know what
we have learned. My understanding is that we may be able to meet with him, and learn more about the situation.

Josh K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back