RUST: DIY Hub Motor Repair & Restoration

Apple cider vinegar + aluminum foil+beer (not for the motor)

Before with a coating of vinegar
rust004_zpse48a8d14.jpg

After minute of rubbing with aluminum foil
rust005_zps787354fa.jpg

After an additional 5 minutes of rubbing
rust007_zpsf0164247.jpg

going to the store for a little aluminum brush (if there is such a thing :p )

3 hours later
rust2002_zps7bf8b622.jpg

Small Update

It's been well over a year since the hub motors were reassembled and in use. I have not had any issues regarding the hub motors per se, although I am a little worried about that phase wires leaving the axles. At one point in the last summer I had some odd production on the rear hub, but it was fixed by minor adjustment on the phase wire tension. I've never been too happy with the way the phase wire exits from the axle and feel that I'm marching with time until they fail. It's just a thing to deal with. That said, I recently swapped summer tires for winter, and so far the hubs appear to be fully functional without even minor issue (other than what I reported earlier).

Some caveats: I've been out of country for nearly two months - much of it during a raining spell. Kid you not - Seattle had a record-breaking dry period that lasted nearly a whole season most people would call "summer" in other parts of the country, but for us here in the Pacific Northwest, it was unheard of. When the weather did break, I was already out of country enjoying awesome weather, although without the benefit of my electric horse.

In China - I got to see what other folks ride in great detail. I could tell upon moderate examination the dimensions and characteristics of the moped motors employed; most were smaller than a 9C - and that's fine. It was dry and humid near Shanghai and didn't observe issues with wet weather there. However, I will report that the number of people riding bicycles is very small, incredibly small relative to people on electric mopeds of all sorts and styles. And - there are repair shops for mopeds at nearly every corner. I did not have opportunity to speak with those good folks, namely cos my work activities kept me busy well past normal work hours. If I have the opportunity to return, I shall attempt make a point to investigate weather-related issues with these repair shops.

Mopeds in the district where I worked did not appear to go at great speeds, and mainly limited to less than 30 mph. The battery packs also seemed quite small, perhaps having a range less than 20 miles. It made me believe that people in China use ebikes/mopeds for short distant commutes and that they were stored under cover at each end. Their motive society is quite different than Western Culture and I'm still learning to appreciate this - albeit slowly, carefully, respectfully. For this is a society way ahead of the rest of the world in providing - by directive of high government - to go forth in their transit by the lowest carbon footprint possible, perhaps even scantly affordable. Smog is thickly dreadful there and of the like I have never experienced. My strong words in this post - upon reflection, are sharper than they need to be. And I realize now that China is doing all it can with the people that it has, with the tools at their disposal, with the education available, with the resources at hand, doing something quite remarkable at breakneck speed - that is to lift their people out of 3rd World into the First in less than 30 years.

With that in consideration, I look for answers in China and still dare to ask: Why is it you guys don't varnish the stators? :)

Grateful I don't work in North Korea where contrary opinion lands you in hard labor.
In Redmond for the holiday, KF

Kingfish said:
The rotors were also cleaned-up one last time and wiped down. Then spent 4 days varnishing using the same stuff as DocBass except I liked the green color better – being EV and all. Or it could have been that was the green stuff was the automotive/industrial strength… whatever. Doesn’t matter now; I’ve got the goods in hand and it worked pretty well. With varnish, spray on light layers and allow to cure, otherwise it stays tacky for a long time and is a pain to handle the parts cos yer off to the sink trying to scrub it off yer hands. PitA.

Where did you buy the Varnish from? Is there any local stores around here in washington I can drive to today and pick up? Although I want to red type.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott, I bought my stuff at Wesco Autobody Supply Inc in Kirkland, WA - which was literally about 1/4 mile away from a client I was working for in 2011. The spray-on varnish was purchased from (I believe) Amazon. However that supply store might have it as well; give them a shout and ask. :)

I think the varnish color has to do with the level of protection, and the green had the best properties matching my particular needs. Although I must ask: Does it really matter if you use red, or green, or blue... when you'll never see it? :wink:

Happy Memorial, KF

Unfortunately, I did not check this until now and they closed at 1pm. Thanks for the recommendation on the store.

As for color, I need to cool my motor some how either oil cool it or vent it. Some one mentioned that a vented motor with the red varnish painted on it looks like a red brake caliper behind a wheel on a sports car. I would rather oil bath cool my motor but being a cromotor it would be really hard to keep the oil in where the wires come out.

Greetings ES peoples -

Gosh, it’s been 5 years since the repair, and I’m here to report that’s about how long it lasts. Yes, it’s been 5 epic years and 10,000 miles before the RWD blew out the bearings last week. It started as a vibration, a slight flutter, like I was riding over a well-worn road, but then this vibration only occurred under power - but not at WOT. What began on Wednesday ended by Friday; parked it until a repair can be made. Grabbing the wheel and giving it a wiggle... the "play" is there.

5 years since I opened up this motor; it will be interesting to see how it all held up :)

Sourcing Bearings - everybody has in quality from high to low. The trouble is locating SEALS; there’s none to be had for what I need in USA; on backorder I guess. UK and Europe have seals but they’re 10-14 days out.

I don’t like commuting with my truck, fighting traffic, stuck like a stick in the mud crawling along with mean and evil people cutting you off for what… and extra 3 second lead? I hates it. Plus I’m spending like $6/day on gas.

Who’s got seals domestically? Something that matches SKF 563024|15x25x6 HMSA10 V?

On suicide watch… (not really; but it does feel like I’ve slit my wrists going back to D R I V I N G) :roll:
~KF

I wonder if something could simply be poured/pushed into the ring around the axle outside the bearing, in the cover's recess, and let harden? Use a mold-release or other waxy substance that's extremely thin on the axle itself (grease? oil?) to prevent the seal from sticking to the actual axle (or inner bearing race edge or bearing face).

Silicone won't work cuz it's hygroscopic, IIRC.

Some form of flexible urethane rubber should, though.

Are any of the tool dips the right stuff?

As for driving...I dont' even have a motor vehicle, but my "truck" is my SB Cruiser trike. :) Even as big as it is, it'll still fit on a sidewalk if it has to. :p

Back